7mm Heybridge Basin

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
The idea of ‘Heybridge Basin’ is to build a working diorama to replace my test track and get some first experience of layout-building in 7mm scale. Progress is likely to be sporadic so it seems best to start a separate topic for it, even though the layout is tiny.

P1050141.jpeg
This is the present-day Heybridge Basin. There is a sea lock here, this connects the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation to the Blackwater Estuary. The decomissioned lifeboat would be worth looking round one day.

P1050148.jpeg
All very pleasant. These cottages and the pub appear in a photograph around 1890. Some of the cottages were shops then.

P1050142.jpeg
Obviously, there should have been a railway here. The terminus of a railway built from Langford and through Heybridge itself to reach the basin here.

DSC_3211.jpeg
I finished the baseboard today. This is from a kit by Grainge and Hodder, 1200 x 400 mm.

The edge of the basin (the blue face) is 1.5 mm card, this is roughly the thickness of the saw blade so it sits vertical.

A basin for a working waterway was typically dug eight feet deep and dredged to six feet. I have made the vertical space rather shorter to keep the strength of the front frame, but if I try a piece of Perspex for the surface of the water, with this set about two feet below the quayside, perhaps it will look ok.

DSC_3209.jpeg
This structure is almost entirely 6 mm ply from the kit. I used three of the braces not four because I want to leave plenty of room for a point mechanism. To be honest, I am not at all sure if I really need three. The structure tightened up overnight as the glue set.

DSC_3212.jpeg
There is some bendy ply reinforcing the edge of the basin, and some offcuts of ordinary rigid ply adding occasional reinforcement.

DSC_3214.jpeg
I have resorted to stripwood in two places. There are two pieces connecting a diagonal brace to the underneath of the basin (where my cutting out was a bit too sloppy), and a corner block for the short outside corner.

The subject is a bit ambitious for five and bit square feet in 0 gauge but if I can capture a little of the character of my might-have-been railway I will be happy. Hopefully I can include 0-F and 0-MF track, some BH and FB rail, some inset track, a passenger platform and a small canal boat.

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
I finished the baseboard today. This is from a kit by Grainge and Hodder, 1200 x 400 mm.

The edge of the basin (the blue face) is 1.5 mm card, this is roughly the thickness of the saw blade so it sits vertical.
A nice idea for a diorama - for the baseboard modifications this is obviously not a standard G&H board, for the modifications for the basin did G&H supply a one off bespoke board or was it something you modified yourself?

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Screenshot 2023-06-04 15.33.40.png
George @Herb Garden : The track plan is very is close to this, but I am showing a Peco curved point here in AnyRail to represent a mildly-curved A6 which I am using.

@adrian : The baseboard is from a standard G&H module. I placed the track on the board as carefully as I could and marked a line to show the rail nearest to the basin. Then I marked another line parallel to this and cut out the baseboard top to suit - see Dockside tracks. It was then easy to lay the cross members onto the top to mark them for cutting out. The construction sequence for the big bits was (with the structure upside down) top, three cross members, both ends, front and rear, basin base; and then trimmings like the back of the basin and the three diagonal braces.

@Yorkshire Dave : The operating practice on the Navigation was for sea-worthy vessels to tie alongside near Osea Island, where their loads were transferred to old Thames barges. These were towed across to the sea lock, moved into the basin, and everything was moved again this time onto barges. There is more in part 1 of my back story, this part of the story is factual. I will be very happy to make some passable looking water. Some kind of watercraft would be a bonus but it isn't a must have. Shoving all of this track into five square feet is probably a cliche in its own right, but if I can end up with a better test track and some experience of larger-scale scenics this will be good.

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
mmm.... a bit clichéd :)

If it's around a sea lock I'd go for a small sea going vessel. However, most decent 1/50, 1/48 boat kits are around 0.5m long+. ;)
Whilst I appreciate it would be an unlikely find on the East coast, my puffer is a shade over 70’, so nigh on 500mm in 7mm scale

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
upload.jpg
I could use the offcut from the front of the baseboard frame to extend the basin forwards a bit.

70 feet is much the same as a EE class 40, a mate has one of these and it dwarfs everything else. Then again, the baseboard will be installed at home with the basin at the back. A scale 70 foot vessel would make quite a statement as a background.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Richard, in your timeframe there were an awful lot of non thames barge sailing vessels trading up and down the east coast and a lot of them would have fitted in the sea lock and discharged their cargo in the basin (ideally into a waiting train!). A backdrop of rigging and top gallants would look great.
I will try and look up some examples.
Rob

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
2-56181.jpg
From MARRIAGE J, The Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation.

This gives the dimensions of the locks, which set the size for the barges.

For @simond especially: the description of the special gates here might explain how the horse came to know where to go.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I could use the offcut from the front of the baseboard frame to extend the basin forwards a bit.

Personally I wouldn't as it would make the baseboard larger and more awkward to store. I'd try and keep within the 1200 x 400mm.

A basin for a working waterway was typically dug eight feet deep and dredged to six feet. I have made the vertical space rather shorter to keep the strength of the front frame, but if I try a piece of Perspex for the surface of the water, with this set about two feet below the quayside, perhaps it will look ok.

I'll be interested to see your approach to modelling the water.

On a Dutch HO quayside layout I built years ago I filled, smoothed and sealed the plywood surface then installed the quay wall. As I wanted to model a low tide I added a mud bank from stained polyfilla, gouged in rivulets from the quay wall and painted it from light to dark brackish water colour to give the impression of depth. The 'sea' was a thin layer of good quality PVA (as it dries clear) spread over the painted surface avoiding the mud banks. As the PVA dried I stippled it with a brush to provide the impression of movement. Once fully set I went over with a gloss varnish over the sea and mud banks with the latter absorbing sufficient varnish to glisten but not be saturated.

Glimpses of the water can be seen in these four photos.

002J.jpg

003J.jpg

007.jpg

022J.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all, interesting. Wasn’t so much the gates themselves, as the self-determination of the horse.

I’ve ridden (not at all seriously) since I was a kid, so am not unfamiliar with horses, they are undoubtedly prey animals with all the baggage that entails, and yet they are capable of becoming habituated to regular behaviour.
I’m intrigued that the horse would apparently keep walking without some ”encouragement”

cheers
Simon

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
The Chelmer Canal Trust owns the last remaining wooden Chelmer barge, used by Browns for bringing timber up from Heybridge basin to Chelmsford, traffic that only ceased in 1972. A similar barge might fit in?

Nigel
Yes it would. The preserved barge 'Susan' was built in 1953 but (according to Marriage) the design varied little from the original barges except for the addition of a diesel engine.

Looking at photos of horse-drawn barges in his book, especially the barges with people sitting about eight abreast across the width of the them, I think these were about 12 not 14 feet wide. A model of a notional 42 x 12 foot barge would fit onto my model, though I don't know how to set about making one. Perhaps there is a kit for something measuring about 290 x 85 mm from a nearby scale :)