Prototype Ex-GER Y14 (LNER J15) preserved at the North Norfolk Railway

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
A collection of detail photographs of Y14 number 564, all taken by myself on 23rd August 2022. I took these to help me when I build the Connosiseur kit for 7mm scale.

Contents

I have posted the photos in batches like this:
Boiler and fittings (below)
Cab (especially the interior)
Frames and motion
Sand boxes, splashers, Westinghouse pump
Coupling rods
Cab steps
Front drawgear
Tender frames and drawgear
Tender sides, flares and top
Handrails (and most of the loco)

I have put some general views of the loco on my workbench topic starting here:
The Heybridge Railway, 1889 to 1913

- -

Boiler and fittings

P1040351.jpg

P1040349.jpg

P1040355.jpg

P1040356.jpg

P1040360.jpgP1040406.jpgP1040361.jpg

P1040362.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Super images Richard! But please beware of them, as the engine is not what it seems.

"The road to ruin is paved with good intent" and this one is a prime example. Some well meaning souls have put in a great deal of time, effort and money into what appears to be very worthwhile project.

What they have actually achieved though is the equivalent of taking a venerable old lady out of her nursing home and dressed her up in a catwalk costume and sexy makeup, all the while trying to suggest that she had once been the glamourous creature that she never was in the first place!

Even in her relative youth she was not particularly fit, and was only "preserved" by a quirk of fate, (the bodged chimney as it happens!) so she is all that we have got - and we must be eternally grateful for that. But oh my, what have they done to the dear old girl?

To anyone searching for reference, please be aware that this particular locomotive is such a glorious mish-mash that any attempt to untangle fact from fiction will inevitably lead to confusion and error!

Can you tell I am a bit passionate about it?!

Pete.

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
I have, and can recommend, this couple of booklets available from the North Norfolk Railway, or via ebay :

70060028-8ACD-41FF-96E1-0092CDF61516.jpeg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Super images Richard! But please beware of them, as the engine is not what it seems..............

Pete.
Pete's right about this locomotive, anyone considering building an accurate model should be aware that like most preserved engines they are usually a mix of different modifications carried out over their working lives. The J15 is a good example of this which carries quite a few LNER/BR modifications.

If anyone is interested in accurate information details & drg's. for the J15 ( GER Y14) and the modifications made there is some very useful info. available through the GER Society who can supply a disc about, not only this loco, but most of the others that the LNER/BR inherited.

Glad we still have her though, the E4 at Bressingham is in similar state also, so beware of that one also.

Col.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Apparently the NNR do have the tender cab somewhere, so hopefully we'll see this in a future 'itteration' ?!

JB.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I am fortunate to have a friend who is a member of the GERS and gave me copies of the detailed articles by Lyn D Brooks on the locomotives and their tenders. Also the book “J15s remembered” kindly suggested by Paul. I have bought copies of the drawings through the GERS web site.

I suppose, detail photographs of 564 taken in August 2022 are only gospel truth for someone making a model of her as she ran in August 2022; she may have been altered already. Still, there are details here I can refer to when I build my model. Before my visit and looking at her I thought the metal bars on the tops of the front splashers were some kind of handrail not the sanding gear! And a recent photo of a clean tender shows how the flares ought to connect onto the sides, and how much ripple I might allow myself in these sides. I need to treat my photos as an addition to period information, not a substitute.

I want to build a Y14, and I have set out my starting points on my Workbench topic here:
The Heybridge Railway, 1889 to 1913

There is going to be a fine line between “prototype information” (on this topic) and my model (on the workbench topic) but I do hope we can post on either as it seems most applicable. I want to make “a nice model”, something which “runs well” and “will look right on my layout”. I am not a rivet counter but I do want to try to achieve a fair level of craftsmanship; something better than I managed last time. JB has somewhat raised the bar here but I can still do my best!

I too am glad we still have 564; partly, because she reveals details I could never expect to see on a photograph, and partly because she shows how much her owners love her and care for her.