4mm Cwm Caradoc

paulc

Western Thunderer
Messing around in my train shed tonight, I came across a couple of white bulls, origin unknown, but reminiscent of the old Merit range of plastic accessories.
Thinking maybe a prize bull could occupy the cattle pen from time to time, I decided to see if I could improve upon the rather blank canvas they provided.
Ten minutes with the paints produced what I think is a slightly improved beast.
For those watching in black and white, the modified animal is on the left!
View attachment 223964
Nice job Mike . How did you get them to do line dancing :D

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Some point rodding has been fitted, and a Bachmann P.O. wagon has been slightly distressed (S&W couplings yet to be fitted) to suit my late 1940's period.
So far I have the FPL and platform turnout connected to the ground frame. I'm pretty sure there would have been a lead off to the loop siding turnout, which would have worked as a crossover to protect the running line, so more to do.
DSC_5653 (1280x719).jpg

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The time has come to consider point rodding. I only need to model the West ground frame, as the East g/f is t'other side of the bridge and belongs in the "rest of the world ".
Fortunately, a fairly simple arrangement as far as my basic knowledge of this sort of thing is concerned.
A two lever ground frame is destined to be sited as shown in the photo, there is far more clearance from the running line than appears to be in the pic.
One lever releases the facing point lock and the other works what is basically a crossover.
Hi Mike,
Just re-reading part of your thread, I think that you might have been able to get away without the FPL component of the GF, as the crossover concerned could be deemed 'beyond the limit of normal passenger operation', in which case just the single lever may have been sufficient?

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The little Cambrian tank loco is seen on what passes for a passenger train in these parts. On market days the train is strengthened with a couple of elderly four wheelers. I really should have given her a good dusting before taking the photos
View attachment 224104View attachment 224105
I do like these little locos, Mike and have (somehow) ended up with two of them myself.

Have you provided any springing or other kind of 'suspension' to the front axle, please?

Presumably all six wheels have pick ups?

Thanks.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
I do like these little locos, Mike and have (somehow) ended up with two of them myself.

Have you provided any springing or other kind of 'suspension' to the front axle, please?

Presumably all six wheels have pick ups?

Thanks.
I do prefer compensation to springing, so there is a beam between the front axle and the front driving axle. The gearbox is on the rear axle, which is rigid. Pick ups on all wheels. She is a very sweet running loco.
Unfortunately I can't get away without a fpl as the station is not actually a terminus.
Regards
Mike