4mm Cwm Caradoc

Quintus

Western Thunderer
The lamp hut and gents is now awaiting painting, and is seen temporarily placed in the intended position.
I have made a few departures from the drawing in Mike Lloyd’s book, but hopefully it's recognisable as such.
I fitted hinge straps on the outside of the door, thus indicating it is outward opening, on the basis that an inward opening one would restrict storage space on such a small room. A row of fire buckets will be added, and the door catch has to be fitted.
I have no idea why these buildings had the roof sloping to the front, with no gutter, the poor soul needing to access the contents on a rainy day would be in for a bit of a shower!
20240819_131511~3.jpg

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Painting and weathering of the Gents is now complete. I now need to find a row of fire buckets to attach to the little building.
The photo has also exposed the lack of lamp irons on 2401's tender, so another job to do. The model is an early Palitoy Mainline from the 1980's with Perseverance etched compensated chassis, RG4 motor and Ultrascale wheels. The two leading sets of tender wheels are "floating", allowing some of the weight of the tender to rest on the drawbar, thus improving the balance of the loco and tractiive effort. All cutting edge stuff back then.
The driver is now present, and looks suitably in charge of his steed. The fireman will join him shortly, pending a final coat of paint.
DSC_5581 (1280x722)~2.jpg

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Meanwhile, the Dean Goods now has a full crew. I replaced the pewter driver figure with a 3D print from Youchoos, and the fireman is a 3D print from Osborne models. These are a little slimmer than the pewter figures, and I think more suitable for the Dean, which has a rather cramped cab, mainly due to the wide splashers, necessary to accommodate 16.5 wheels.
Nothing looks more ridiculous than a loco working with no crew, especially in an open cab such as this.DSC_5608 (1280x723)~2.jpg

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Here is my Drewry shunter (modified Airfix kit with Branchlines chassis) sorting wagons at Cwm Caradoc.
Any chance you could elaborate on this, please? I'm planning on doing something similar, knowing what pitfalls there are would help!

What extra work did you do to the Airfix kit? I was thinking of using the High Level chassis so it'd be useful to know how well the Branchlines chassis goes together.

The Dean Goods looks very nice with her crew!

Thanks,
Mark

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Any chance you could elaborate on this, please? I'm planning on doing something similar, knowing what pitfalls there are would help!

What extra work did you do to the Airfix kit? I was thinking of using the High Level chassis so it'd be useful to know how well the Branchlines chassis goes together.

The Dean Goods looks very nice with her crew!

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,
Here are a couple of pics of the Drewry chassis. Although I built it a long time ago, I remember it went together very well. The motor is a Mashima 12X20, and I always fit a flywheel if possible. It can just be seen that the N/S chassis has overlays. I think these may have been the original plastic frames, which incorporated the sandboxes, and usefully widened the chassis for EM gauge. A compensating beam is between the 1st and 2nd axle.
All the moulded handrails on the body were removed and replaced with N/S wire. To be honest I can't remember if I added much detail to the original kit, I think it mainly consisted of wire for the sand pipes etc.
I have no knowledge of the high level chassis kit, but would imagine it's pretty much state of the art, although I have to say the Branchlines chassis runs superbly.
Cheers
Mike
DSC_5611 (1280x723).jpgDSC_5613 (1280x721).jpg

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,
Here are a couple of pics of the Drewry chassis. Although I built it a long time ago, I remember it went together very well. The motor is a Mashima 12X20, and I always fit a flywheel if possible. It can just be seen that the N/S chassis has overlays. I think these may have been the original plastic frames, which incorporated the sandboxes, and usefully widened the chassis for EM gauge. A compensating beam is between the 1st and 2nd axle.
All the moulded handrails on the body were removed and replaced with N/S wire. To be honest I can't remember if I added much detail to the original kit, I think it mainly consisted of wire for the sand pipes etc.
I have no knowledge of the high level chassis kit, but would imagine it's pretty much state of the art, although I have to say the Branchlines chassis runs superbly.
Cheers
Mike
View attachment 223289View attachment 223290
Hi Mike,

many, many thanks for the additional information!

The Branchlines chassis still looks like a very good option, and seemingly Branchlines still do a detailing set for the Airfix body. Thanks also for clarifying re the handrails, pipework etc.

One other thing, though. You mentioned using the plastic chassis as overlays for EM gauge - does the Branchlines chassis only cater for OO gauge?

Cheers,
Mark

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

many, many thanks for the additional information!

The Branchlines chassis still looks like a very good option, and seemingly Branchlines still do a detailing set for the Airfix body. Thanks also for clarifying re the handrails, pipework etc.

One other thing, though. You mentioned using the plastic chassis as overlays for EM gauge - does the Branchlines chassis only cater for OO gauge?

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark,
I think the Branchlines chassis is supplied with 00 spacers only from memory, but it was no problem using the plastic frames overlays.
I am, in fact now wondering if I did use the plastic side frames from the kit, or just made some overlays from plasticard.
regards
Mike

Last edited:

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,
I think the Branchlines chassis is supplied with 00 spacers only from memory, but it was no problem using the plastic frames overlays, in fact, as the sandboxes are moulded on, it saves having to cut them off and and attaching them to etched frames.
I'm not sure if sandboxes are included in the detail kit.
regards
Mike
Thanks again, Mike, that's brilliant. Branchlines seem a bit elusive these days, but I managed to get their pdf catalogues a couple of years ago so I'll try to get up to date versions!

Cheers,
Mark

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,
I think the Branchlines chassis is supplied with 00 spacers only from memory, but it was no problem using the plastic frames overlays, in fact, as the sandboxes are moulded on, it saves having to cut them off and and attaching them to etched frames.
I'm not sure if sandboxes are included in the detail kit.
regards
Mike
Mike, your old Drewry 04 is lovely. The Branchlines chassis includes spacers for 00,EM and P4. For Mark's info I include a shot showing what you get from the two suppliers. The High Level kit comes complete with gearbox, hornblocks, overlays and a few castings. There are lots of shots of models on the EMGauge70's site, along with a detailed build of the High Level chassis kit. The black chassis is a High Level not built by me, the other two rigid frames are Branchlines.

IMG_1992.jpeg

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Mike, your old Drewry 04 is lovely. The Branchlines chassis includes spacers for 00,EM and P4. For Mark's info I include a shot showing what you get from the two suppliers. The High Level kit comes complete with gearbox, hornblocks, overlays and a few castings. There are lots of shots of models on the EMGauge70's site, along with a detailed build of the High Level chassis kit. The black chassis is a High Level not built by me, the other two rigid frames are Branchlines.

View attachment 223323
Hi Paul,

many thanks for the info and comparison photo. The High Level chassis certainly seems the more comprehensive, and of course is much newer and hopefully up-to-date. Are the overlays you mention for the chassis or for body details? I have one of High Level's 14xx chassis kits to put together, which also looks very nice.

I've emailed Branchlines this morning for a set of current catalogues but it bounces back, so there seems to be a problem there.

Many thanks,
Mark

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,

many thanks for the info and comparison photo. The High Level chassis certainly seems the more comprehensive, and of course is much newer and hopefully up-to-date. Are the overlays you mention for the chassis or for body details? I have one of High Level's 14xx chassis kits to put together, which also looks very nice.

I've emailed Branchlines this morning for a set of current catalogues but it bounces back, so there seems to be a problem there.

Many thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark. Cheers. The HL overlay is footplate chequer plate and jackshaft grill. I've read that the following email works : branchlines100@btinternet.com
Mike's model is superb - gives us something to aspire to.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Just realised the sandboxes in the plastic kit are separate and not moulded on the side frames, sorry!
Thanks to Paul for the photos which clarify things regards the Branchlines chassis, I built mine over thirty years ago!
I think maybe the best way to contact Branchlines is by good old fashioned telephone
Thanks for all your kind comments and likes.
Regards
Mike

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark. Cheers. The HL overlay is footplate chequer plate and jackshaft grill. I've read that the following email works : branchlines100@btinternet.com
Mike's model is superb - gives us something to aspire to.
Great, Paul, thanks for the extra info. I'll try that email address, too! And yes, absolutely, Mike's model is a gem!

Just realised the sandboxes in the plastic kit are separate and not moulded on the side frames, sorry!
Thanks to Paul for the photos which clarify things regards the Branchlines chassis, I built mine over thirty years ago!
I think maybe the best way to contact Branchlines is by good old fashioned telephone
Thanks for all your kind comments and likes.
Regards
Mike
Thanks, Mike, that's useful to know! I'll try the email address that Paul has given and, if that doesn't work, then the electric speaking telegraph (as Iain Rice would have said).

Cheers,
Mark

Quintus

Western Thunderer
This afternoon I thought I would have a go at foliating a tree with static grass using my WWS flockbox.
Using Woodland scenics FS618 4mm static grass, I duly spread the fibres on the plate, sprayed the adhesive on the tree frame, connected up and switched on.
Nothing! The static grass remained on the plate. After waving the tree very close to the plate, some of it went onto the tree, but it was hard going.
I then decided to try a different make of static grass obtained cheaply from ebay...... Wow, the grass shot onto the tree frame as if it were magnetic, resulting in a nicely foliated fir tree.
Anyone else had a similar problem?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
This afternoon I thought I would have a go at foliating a tree with static grass using my WWS flockbox.
Using Woodland scenics FS618 4mm static grass, I duly spread the fibres on the plate, sprayed the adhesive on the tree frame, connected up and switched on.
Nothing! The static grass remained on the plate. After waving the tree very close to the plate, some of it went onto the tree, but it was hard going.
I then decided to try a different make of static grass obtained cheaply from ebay...... Wow, the grass shot onto the tree frame as if it were magnetic, resulting in a nicely foliated fir tree.
Anyone else had a similar problem?

Hi Mike.

Short answer, yes. To elaborate, I no longer use Woodland Scenics static grass, despite having a bit 'in stock '. I had an issue using some on Ewe, after I ran out of WWS. Would not stand up. I now use WWS grass only. I'm not alone either, one of the chaps I work for has tried Woodland Scenics static grass on his layout and, like me, could not get it to stand.

In the shop where I work part-time, we are running down stock of Woodland Scenics grass in favour of the WWS equivalent though continuing to stock Woodland flocks etc which are seemingly fine.

Rob

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike.

Short answer, yes. To elaborate, I no longer use Woodland Scenics static grass, despite having a bit 'in stock '. I had an issue using some on Ewe, after I ran out of WWS. Would not stand up. I now use WWS grass only. I'm not alone either, one of the chaps I work for has tried Woodland Scenics static grass on his layout and, like me, could not get it to stand.

In the shop where I work part-time, we are running down stock of Woodland Scenics grass in favour of the WWS equivalent though continuing to stock Woodland flocks etc which are seemingly fine.

Rob
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the very useful information.
I had a feeling there was something amiss with the Woodland Scenics grass, as it doesn't form into clumps in the bag like all the others.
regards
Mike