4mm Cwm Caradoc

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike.

Short answer, yes. To elaborate, I no longer use Woodland Scenics static grass, despite having a bit 'in stock '. I had an issue using some on Ewe, after I ran out of WWS. Would not stand up. I now use WWS grass only. I'm not alone either, one of the chaps I work for has tried Woodland Scenics static grass on his layout and, like me, could not get it to stand.

In the shop where I work part-time, we are running down stock of Woodland Scenics grass in favour of the WWS equivalent though continuing to stock Woodland flocks etc which are seemingly fine.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the very useful information.
I had a feeling there was something amiss with the Woodland Scenics grass, as it doesn't form into clumps in the bag like all the others.
regards
Mike
Interesting, and something of which to be wary - thanks for highlighting this. One wonders why, though.

Rob, please forgive my ignorance, but what is WWS static grass?

Thanks,
Mark

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Interesting, and something of which to be wary - thanks for highlighting this. One wonders why, though.

Rob, please forgive my ignorance, but what is WWS static grass?

Thanks,
Mark

Here you go Mark.

Also now distributed by PECO so widely available.

Rob.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Lovely work, Mike, just lovely.

But.... please can you tell us a little more about the intriguing narrow gauge tracks on the bridge?
Thank-you for those kind comments!
The narrow gauge line was designed to be just that (intriguing). It appears from behind the L.H.end of the lighting pelmet support, and dissapears into the boscage (that word again) and the backscene. I did not want it to be at all prominent, the sort of thing you may come across when having a ramble on holiday, and have to find out more back at the hotel, as you had no idea there was a n/g line in the area.
Of course, the line is now closed, and as I had no intention of having any rolling stock thereon, is built to a gauge of 11mm, using code 60 fb rail
The photo will hopefully give a clue to my ramblings.
20240809_211502~2.jpg
This weekend I shall be back in the 7mm scale world taking Newton Heath Works to the Swindon bash.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the info, Mike. I like 'intriguing'...

Is the backscene your own work? It looks very convincing.
Despite my lack of skill in this area, I had a go, I really wanted to include the station approach behind the platform.
Working on the basis that if it didn't work out, I could always re do it, or stick a commercial backscene over it.
I think I may have just got away with it!
Cheers
Mike

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Messing around in my train shed tonight, I came across a couple of white bulls, origin unknown, but reminiscent of the old Merit range of plastic accessories.
Thinking maybe a prize bull could occupy the cattle pen from time to time, I decided to see if I could improve upon the rather blank canvas they provided.
Ten minutes with the paints produced what I think is a slightly improved beast.
For those watching in black and white, the modified animal is on the left!
20240916_210842~2.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Messing around in my train shed tonight, I came across a couple of white bulls, origin unknown, but reminiscent of the old Merit range of plastic accessories.
Thinking maybe a prize bull could occupy the cattle pen from time to time, I decided to see if I could improve upon the rather blank canvas they provided.
Ten minutes with the paints produced what I think is a slightly improved beast.
For those watching in black and white, the modified animal is on the left!
View attachment 223964
Strike the pose.

A big improvement.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
The time has come to consider point rodding. I only need to model the West ground frame, as the East g/f is t'other side of the bridge and belongs in the "rest of the world ".
Fortunately, a fairly simple arrangement as far as my basic knowledge of this sort of thing is concerned.
A two lever ground frame is destined to be sited as shown in the photo, there is far more clearance from the running line than appears to be in the pic.
One lever releases the facing point lock and the other works what is basically a crossover.
20240920_172033~2.jpg
I bought some Wills point rodding, but not too happy with the plastic rods, much too vulnerable to damage. I decided to chop the rodding off and just use the frames, and use something like 0.45mm wire rodding.
I drilled through the frames to accept the wire, and the operation was successful, only having 2 rejects of the 25 or so required.
20240921_121305~2.jpg
They are perhaps a tad overscale, but the detail is good. The stools are moulded on the base of the frames, and a little digging will be required to set them in the ballast. This is not going to be one of my favourite jobs!