4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Peco Code 75 flat bottom points and bullhead plain track were laid the other day, anyway bullhead points were eventually used (mostly) and the lot was sprayed 'Sleeper Grime' in readiness for the gluing & ballasting process...

WEB Llanfair 1C.jpg

Tie bars masked off before spraying. as can be seen, two points were replaced by a double slip to shorten the track formation...
WEB Llanfair 1D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
This process has been described before, but a quick run-through again will save members trawling back for it ~ if interested.

The track paint had made the track pretty rigid and so I separated sections leaving just the loop. It was then slid to one side out of the way and masking tape put where the point tiebars will lie. The long strip denotes the station platform edge (12mm from the nearest rail)...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 5A.jpgWEB Llanfair 4mm 5B.jpg

Ballast is a mix of Fine Light Grey and Fine Dark Brown................. Neat PVA brushed onto baseboard, track laid and ballasted....
WEB Llanfair 4mm 5C.jpgWEB Llanfair 4mm 5D.jpg

Care taken to ensure a 150" radius curve and a straight section after vacuuming off surplus ballast. Plywood and books weights...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 5E.jpgWEB Llanfair 4mm 5G.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I will miss the 0 gauge locos and track, but not the prospect of building coaches and erecting a return loop outside the shed. After loads of planning since 11th August, the loose bits of 00 gauge track now form a permanent way! It's a start...

WEB Llanfair 4mm 5J.jpg

Except for the mountainous backscene, It bears an uncanny resemblance to the Llanfair of two years ago haha ...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 6A.jpg

Scenery at Llanfyllin...
WEB Llanfylin scenery.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Rain stopped play so I got on with building a new signalbox that more closely resembles the one at Llanfyllin. The kit is by Rail Model for Llansantfriad just two stations down the line from Llanfyllin. I've raised its height by several brick courses and have built it as intended with steps at the LH end. It is a very small model and conversion to RH steps is beyond my patience even though I did it in 7mm....
WEB Signalbox 4mm 1.jpg

This afternoons work.....Track weathered down using a spraygun and rails painted with Phoenix P977 'rusty rails'.....
WEB Signalbox 4mm 2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The 4mm Llansantfraid signalbox was finished today. As I mentioned earlier, it was built several bricks higher than designed. The building itself minus steps is only 1½ inches wide...

WEB Signalbox Llansant 1 .jpg

The fine decorative Cambrian bargeboard trim is courtesy Phil at Intentio, although there is some on thicker material in the kit...
WEB Signalbox Llansant 2 .jpg

The roof drops on over the chimney stack and has been left removable...
WEB Signalbox Llansant 3 .jpg

MoatLane

Western Thunderer
I had the same thought about the locking room door (often not modelled). Then I wondered if access to the locking room was through a trap-door in the floor above?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The new Hornby BR Standard Cl.2 2-6-0. A very good friend of mine diverted his pre-order to my collection (again ~ lucky me) and it arrived today.

On test, it runs very smoothly with no waddle and is a smooth-slow runner on DC. I have left the vac & steam pipes off seeing as they would foul the couplings. The downside is Hornby has barely reproduced the bevel rim wheels.

All-in-all though, a very pleasing model for which I am truly grateful. The earliest batches went straight to the Cambrian...

WEB BR 2-6-0 1.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Looks extremely fine. I'm also very much tempted by one of these, Larry, but I may wait for the lined green one.

But were all the ones used in Mid Wales actually in the black livery as per yours, does anyone know? Thanks.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
They really are stunning. I've had a good look over one and it looks to be one of Hornby’s best ever, if not the best loco of there's to date.

Looks like 78000-78009 were allocated to Oswestry, spending differing lengths of time there or there abouts with most transferred away from 1953 onwards.

78010 went to West Auckland from new and stayed away from Wales throughout.

Rob.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I wish this one was in colour! It was taken on a glorious day on my box-type camera, a Kodak Duaflex II.

I took this at Swindon in May 1959 on my first ever railway trip. I'm pretty certain the loco was in green and clearly just ex-works and probably on a running in turn - I remember it making an impression on me because I'd never seen any locos of this class previously. They later became quite common at Willesden. This one is 78007, shed code 89C, Machynlleth.

78007.  (2).  Swindon Station.  Running in from Swindon Works.  May 1959.  Personal Collection...jpg

Brian

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I know that 78006 was used by Gloucester shed for a Forest of Dean trip on one occasion, but couldn't cope with the ballast load on the Coleford branch gradients and had to be rescued by a pannier on the adjacent Cinderford goods working!