4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The 4mm station allows a wider driveway to the yard behind the station to the goods shed, plus there is now space for an additional siding and space for a coal yard. The track arrangement is basically where it left off before other activities filled my time, but a 4mm 'Llanfair' now benefits from a wider baseboard....

WEB Station 4mm 3.jpg

Last edited:

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
The answer to your problem Larry .....is .........build a second Shed but bigger ......4mm and 7mm ;)
Yes I know it's early hours but I was wrestling with a layout problem myself and couldn't sleep :thumbs:

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Or do both, I get a sense neither the 4mm or 7mm quite fit the bill. Maybe do a smaller next station down the line in 7mm one side of the shed, no goods shed or anything just a passing loop. Run the train through onto a cassette then the exact same train but in 4mm then runs around into the 4mm station for shunting etc once done recreate same train in 7mm and run it back past the 7mm station. Lots of playability and it scratches the itch to model in both scales.
The weight and presence in 7mm running through a nice compact little station and the playability that the 4mm offers.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
You could modify the 7mm goods shed to be like Cadeleigh with the lorry bay in the gable end, thus negating the need for sufficient space between the shed and backscene..

Did just that a couple of years ago. A new 4mm goods shed will be made later in the week. The interest is there and I am quite excited about laying it all down again pretty well as it was in 2022 while correcting the niggles on the wider baseboard.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I decided the new Llanfair deserved a new station platform with 'Tarmac' surface. The platform top was formed from 60 thou Plaskikard. Wills SSMP 200 Coarse Stone on a 12mm high 60 thou backing was glued flush with the platform surface and left to harden...

WEB Station 4mm 4.jpg

Slaters 7mm Paving was used for the edging slabs on a 60 thou backing. It was glued to overlap very slightly the stone facing...
WEB Station 4mm 4B.jpg

An infill of 1/8" cork was glued to the platform top with Evostik Impact. It will be sanded down slightly tomorrow....
WEB Station 4mm 4C.jpg

Testing it in position. Of note is the Gents lavatory door on the nearest end of the station. Streamline track in use to map things out...
WEB Station 4mm 4E.jpg

The goods shed (to be replaced with new-build) will be setback as shown here to leave the signalman a clear view.
WEB Station 4mm 4F.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A lovely Accurascale GWR 'Manor' arrived today courtesy of a very good friend who pre-ordered the model but is now unable to do any modelling. Accurascale wheels look pretty good to me with a the large boss on the bogie wheels. The colour is a rich green at the yellow end of the spectrum ~ not unlike the car shade the pro painters use. Lining was discontinued on the coal sheet as early as March 1957. This model carries the 1960 electrification plates....

WEB Manor 1.jpg

My Dapol 'Manor' for comparison. carries a matter green green that is a tad chalky. The bogie wheel boss is too small. I have painted the tyres seeing as the Dapol's were unpainted...
WEB Manor 2.jpg

The other side of the Accurasce loco showing the wheel quartering is to the front of centre....
WEB Manor 3.jpg

The Dapol model with quartering to the rear of centre. Both models feature mock inside motion. Dapol's is more visible....
WEB Manor 4.jpg

Both models capture the 'Manor' to a tee. The Dapol is the smoother runner although both run well on DC...
WEB Manor 5.jpg

So do I have a personal favourite? Well, the Accurascale has the edge, but overall, both are what we have come to expect from these two companies.. I hope they will give us a good GWR 57xx Panier one day....
WEB Manor 6.jpg

Real 'Manor' bogie wheels...
WEB Manor 7.jpg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Right hand crank lead.

They both have the crank on the left hand side down (ish) so I reckon the right hand side should be to the rear.

or have I built all my GW locos wrong? :0

(I’d be peeved but nobody‘s noticed in over 25 years, mostly, I guess because you can’t see both sides at once :) )

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Yet another Laser Cut goods shed kit has been built for the latest 4mm layout. Windows on this side were blanked out using Intentio brick sheet half-recessed into the outer walls...
WEB Goods 4mm 6.jpg

My hope is that one day the laser cut manufacturers will come up with steps that can actually be built in 4mm. I binned them and built an external platform instead...
WEB Goods 4mm 7.jpg

The internal platform is removable. Gutters were evergreen 2mm wide channel with the leading edge rounded off...
WEB Goods 4mm 8.jpg

Roof slates added. Ready for the sprayshop.....
WEB Goods 4mm 9.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Yet another Laser Cut goods shed kit has been built for the latest 4mm layout. Windows on this side were blanked out using Intentio brick sheet half-recessed into the outer walls...
View attachment 193392

My hope is that one day the laser cut manufacturers will come up with steps that can actually be built in 4mm. I binned them and built an external platform instead...
View attachment 193393

The internal platform is removable. Gutters were evergreen 2mm wide channel with the leading edge rounded off...
View attachment 193394

Roof slates added. Ready for the sprayshop.....
View attachment 193405
Hi Larry , after the number of these kits that you've made i think you should have shares in Intentio .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , after the number of these kits that you've made i think you should have shares in Intentio .
The goods shed and 'GER' station building kits were from Laser Cut Models, although I have built models from Intentio and Rail Model.... But I get your point. :D

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Having completed the new goods shed, I've been having a dry run

WEB Llanfair 3B.jpg

As soon as the yard crane and loading gauge were positioned on the good shed road, it was immediately apparent they would not last two minutes at the front of the layout and why I had the shed at the back of the station before!

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
That looks quite spacious, Larry, with plenty of room for a roadway past the goods shed. Nice to see new developments once more.
Dave.