4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

According to RCTS Standards book:
On delivery 78000-78009 for WR all lined black, 12/52 to 3/53. Also 10 in. numerals compared to 8 in. From early 1957 WR applied Brunswick Green livery as they went through works for overhaul. So 78000 unlined green as well as 1/3/4/7, lined were 78005/6/8/9.

Alan

PaulM

Thanks, that's interesting.
So Hornby have got the livery of 78006 right, by the looks of it (lined green).
At the end of its life, in 1965, 78006 seems to have been either in black or *very* grimy and faded green (cf Neil Parkhouse's West Gloucester & Wye Valley Lines Vol 1). There's also a photo of 78004 in nicely clean, unlined green, in 1962, in the same volume; but by 1965 photos of it on the Nailsworth branch show it to be in the same grimy state as 78006. Were they reliveried in black in their last years, or just allowed to get ever filthier?

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
At the end of its life, in 1965, 78006 seems to have been either in black or *very* grimy and faded green (cf Neil Parkhouse's West Gloucester & Wye Valley Lines Vol 1). There's also a photo of 78004 in nicely clean, unlined green, in 1962, in the same volume; but by 1965 photos of it on the Nailsworth branch show it to be in the same grimy state as 78006. Were they reliveried in black in their last years, or just allowed to get ever filthier?
Probably the latter. Repainting green steam locos on the WR back into black was almost unheard of, as far as I know.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I saw the green BR Std Cl. 3 2-6-2T's in 1965 after they had left the Cambrian for work in Manchester. It struck me at the time how quickly they had adopted the typical uncared for state of Manchester locos. It was only years later that I learned W.Region steam had gone down the pan by 1965 anyway.

PaulM

I saw the green BR Std Cl. 3 2-6-2T's in 1965 after they had left the Cambrian for work in Manchester. It struck me at the time how quickly they had adopted the typical uncared for state of Manchester locos. It was only years later that I learned W.Region steam had gone down the pan by 1965 anyway.
Very useful to know. May have seen one or two shuffling wagons in Dudbridge yard, on my home from primary school, but younger self didn’t register the details. And thanks for showing the rather lovely model. Looks like unlined green’ll be my choice.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Reference the discussion on the two 4mm scale 'Manor' class locos in post 1,100, I forgot to mention the Dapol model has a black running plate angle aka GWR days. In BR livery, it should of course be green............ Easily remedied using a ruling pen.

WEB Manor 8.jpg

Halford acrylic Ford Lauren Green was sprayed into a lid and applied twice with a ruling pen. Then Halfords Matt Lacquer was brushed over it. On such a small area, it doesn't really matter if it is not a perfect match. In anycase, I wonder what will be left showing once this loco is weathered....
WEB Manor 9.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Nearly a month has gone by with no progress uploads, so here goes. The overlapping points were put 'in-line' to make shunting simpler and the station complex was compressed in both length and width....

WEB Llanfair 4mm 7B.jpg

Coal and goods share the same siding, but empty coal wagons can be switched to the track beside the goods shed so as not to impede goods traffic. I also decided to stick with the original Intentio signal box on the platform...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 7A.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Interesting. How does it flow? I assume it goes off quickly. Do you add anything to the paint? Clean up in Cellulose Thinners?
Hi Mike, the green is from a Halfords spraycan so it is thin enough for putting through a ruling pen after being decanted. It took two 'coats' to cover the black with an hours wait in between.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I introduce a ballast shoulder 'out in the country' using a sharp craft knife and finishing off with en electric sander....

WEB Track 4mm 1.jpg

Masking tape gives a neat edge to the ballast...
WEB Track 4mm 2.jpg

Ballasting completed. Ballast is a mix of around 60% fine light grey and 40% fine dark brown...
WEB Track 4mm 3.jpg

Ballast sprayed near the rails and the rails painted Track Rust....
WEB Track 4mm 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Two days work, so it's a bit naked. ~The photo was taken to show the signalman has a clear view past the goods shed. Our intrepid photographer must have brought his ladders....

WEB Llanfair 4mm 8.jpg

I take lots of photos to view on screen before making up my mind. A shame this tiny box wasnt right-handed....
WEB Llanfair 4mm 8B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The platform was sprayed yesterday and weathered last night...

WEB Llanfair 4mm 9.jpg

Mortar courses are diluted acrylic model paint mixed from matt black, red and Fairy Liquid to make a dark purple stain. The 'chairs' on the old Insufrog double slip were picked out with PPC 'Sleeper Grime' to create the illusion of bullhead track...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 9C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Gismo. I'm currently laying a joining of the tracks at the outer limit of the station complex similar to the arrangement at Llanfyllin. Its sprayed and is waiting to be glued & ballasted...

WEB track 4mm 7.jpg

Even if a passenger train is occupying the platform loop, a goods train can still enter Llanfair and run-round using the approach loop before shunting. Taking water at the tank keeps trains within the outer limits of the loop....
WEB Track 4mm 7B.jpg

Last edited: