4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

L Cut Creative signal box
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    The other work that occurred over the weekend was to make a start on the signal box.

The raw material was this kit from LCut creative:

rps20201214_212830.jpg

Looked good in photos but the parts were very 'flat' and lacking relief, particularly the timber part. The base was also brick and I really wanted stone.

rps20201214_212931.jpg

The photo above of Nanstallon crossing box was the inspiration for the area on my layout. It did however show that the kit had boards above the windows and a shallower pitch to the roof. I was in two minds whether to crack on regardless but...

IMG_20201214_210930_1.jpg

IMG_20201214_210938.jpg

So I chopped the sides up to change the hand of the box - I wanted the steps and door near the road. Whilst doing that I also chopped the planking off above the windows and added another plank to the lower edge of the sides.

Still troubled by how flat the sides were I decided to add some plastic strip to bulk up the timber frame. Then a simple box was made for the base from the collection of Wills stone offcuts. All has now set and hardened.

Thoughts so far?

To be honest, a bit disappointed in the lack of relief in the kit. Could really do with some overlays for the timber framing IMO. The material the kit is cut from isn't my favourite either - closer to card than wood and it doesn't sand well. I much prefer working in plasticard!

Track laying starts
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    A quick check on the first turnout this morning revealed that the bits that were meant to be stuck were stuck. More importantly the bits that were meant to be still moving were still moving.

IMG_20201221_084846.jpg

A view of the undercarriage of the next one to be laid showing the minor mods and wires.

IMG_20201221_084840.jpg

Thanks to @Mark F for the fishplates.

Last edited:
    Servo wiring
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Morning.

I take it things will be moving about under their own power later then.......I'll be back.

M.

Don't wait up...

I did get all the servos installed, wired and working the turnouts correctly. All the electrics done so far have been tested and all are correct.

Tomorrow's jobs are to wire up all the switches and, if I can find some suitable gunk, spray the trackbed before ballasting.

More boring wires...

IMG_20201226_200540_1.jpg
    IMG_20201226_200517.jpg

Control panel plan
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    So, having sized the cottages, I realised that the area I have for the switch panel is only 11cm wide by 7.4cm tall.

Nowhere near big enough for the original plan. Therefore a rethink was required. I decided that the minimum centres for the switches should be 1.5cm (fat fingers) and this meant that I could fit a maximum of 3 rows of 7 switches.

Total switches required:
    • 2 signal servos
    • 4 gate servos
    • 5 turnout switches (6 servos)
    • 7 sections
    This is what I've come up with...

ScreenHunter_544 Dec. 27 22.14.jpg
    The crosses are centres for the drill bit.