4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Control panel plan

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So, having sized the cottages, I realised that the area I have for the switch panel is only 11cm wide by 7.4cm tall.

Nowhere near big enough for the original plan. Therefore a rethink was required. I decided that the minimum centres for the switches should be 1.5cm (fat fingers) and this meant that I could fit a maximum of 3 rows of 7 switches.

Total switches required:
  • 2 signal servos
  • 4 gate servos
  • 5 turnout switches (6 servos)
  • 7 sections
This is what I've come up with...

ScreenHunter_544 Dec. 27 22.14.jpg
The crosses are centres for the drill bit.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I dont think I have the many switches in my real full-size house!
Hat taken off in appreciation of such planning...
(I just use a finger on any peco points ;) )

Hi Jason, I could have used my finger on the Peco points but they had a nasty accident with various sharp objects! Mr SheepBloke uses the original digital method on his layouts and it doesn't seem to bother the punters and keeps things simple.

On the other hand I seem to gravitate towards complicating matters and making my life difficult!

I probably won't use the section switches most of the time but I'll know they are there if I want to abandon a loco. I don't really need working gates or signals but I had 6 spare channels on the Megapoints controller and two ready made signals from a previous layout.

Anyway, a view of the rear of the cottage showing the space within it for the switch panel. Yes, the woodwork will need trimming down a tad!

IMG_20201227_224641.jpg

The paintbrush is the stunt stand-in for the co-acting signal. It's on the wrong side, and extra tall to help sighting around a sharp bend in a cutting. (That's my story anyway).

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
The co-actin signal is ok there - i thought of that when I fist mentioned signals, bit I'm not wise enough to know everything (as some genuinely do)
but to protect the crossing and siding it needs moving back just a little bit, or its not protecting the point.....

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Jason, I could have used my finger on the Peco points but they had a nasty accident with various sharp objects! Mr SheepBloke uses the original digital method on his layouts and it doesn't seem to bother the punters and keeps things simple.

I think it takes people by surprise. Pokey finger points are certainly not for everyone but they are simple. I can lay the track and have a layout running very quickly.

That said, I'm considering doing something different on the next layout but not radically so.

However, I've learnt a lot from watching how the servo jobbies are being installed by Pencarrot and this would now be my preference over trad point motors etc. Deffo something to explore in the future.

SB.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Progress has slowed somewhat. The wiring has taken longer than expected, not aided by a stinking head cold with full on streaming nose and eyes etc. On the plus side, the symptoms I have rule out Covid.

Task for today is to locate an old Gaugemaster handheld controller and power supply.

But first I need to stop watching the snow...

IMG_20201229_094134_1.jpg