4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
What are your initial thoughts on Dave's MegaPoint system old chap ?

I certainly like it and will use mine instead of the larger point motors, the servos pack quite a punch if needed and I like the fine tuning you can achieve.

G

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
What are your initial thoughts on Dave's MegaPoint system old chap ?

I certainly like it and will use mine instead of the larger point motors, the servos pack quite a punch if needed and I like the fine tuning you can achieve.

G

Initial thoughts are quite good. I like how you need no extra kit or expertise to set the servos up to drive turnouts (with options to amend throw and speed) and also semaphore signals (options for upper and lower quad, throw and bounce).

Also future proof if you want to go DCC accessory control in the future.

Bonza.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Yep, I'm quite taken with this as well. I'm struggling a bit with the tech but it seems reasonably straight forward.

It is slightly daunting at first but with a bit of time and watching Dave's videos it becomes clear quite quickly I found.

Like Pennycarrot I wired up some switches ( purchased separately ) but I now have some posh levers to use...eventually !

G

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Looking rather splendid at this stage, as for taking your time chap, sit down with a cuppa / beer and contemplate for a moment or three. I'm sure it will satisfy your inner needs afterwards.

G

p.s. far too many ( white ) detonators on they tracks !

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And in other news, I remembered that I still have these which were retained when Treneglos was sold 2 years ago.

IMG_20201223_162321.jpg

They were made by Fred Shelton, a friend sadly no longer with us, hence why they were kept. They stopped working during one of the last shows we did. No idea why.

I hooked them up to the Megapoints controller earlier and found that the fault lay with the servos, which made noise but no movement. The servo was swapped out on the co-acting signal and hey presto, all working again.

So the next question is, where should I put them on the layout?

1440558847_ScreenHunter_540Dec_1209_54.jpg.01476ffcfde4199daf906af19cb26759.jpg

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Signals
At first thought, the only place you could really have one is to the right hand end of the Halt as a starter.

Any others would be "offstage"

Though you could just about squeeze one in to the left of the Signal Box... (c/f Goonbarrow Junction)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Signals
At first thought, the only place you could really have one is to the right hand end of the Halt as a starter.

Any others would be "offstage"

Though you could just about squeeze one in to the left of the Signal Box... (c/f Goonbarrow Junction)

Should there be something on each approach to the level crossing near the signal box?

simond

Western Thunderer
A distant, I’d guess. I believe the gates themselves (and the red lights thereon) are treated as a home.

hopefully someone who knows will be along soon.

Merry Christmas
Simon

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
There should, to work in conjunction with the crossing gates - But I'm not quite sure what or where!

The one I mentioned to the left of the box would cover the crossing in that direction, but there is also the need for something the other way....

The crossing reds are a Stop Signal for when the gates are closed - when they are open (like when trains are passing) they are "not there"