4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

simond

Western Thunderer
Chris

I think the foam board should be fine.

The foam is impermeable, I believe, so if you stick it down to the baseboards with a non-contact adhesive, the solvent is going to hang around a while, and that might be a bad thing, so you might want to go for a solventless approach, either D/S tape or contact glue.

When you ballast the track, conversely, the solvent can escape, and I’d guess that a latex or PVA would be fine. I use latex as it doesn’t make the ballast go green.

‘course this is hypothetical, I haven’t done it, you understand! But my foamboard structures on the Greater Windowledge Railway lasted for years.

atb
Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris

I think the foam board should be fine.

The foam is impermeable, I believe, so if you stick it down to the baseboards with a non-contact adhesive, the solvent is going to hang around a while, and that might be a bad thing, so you might want to go for a solventless approach, either D/S tape or contact glue.

When you ballast the track, conversely, the solvent can escape, and I’d guess that a latex or PVA would be fine. I use latex as it doesn’t make the ballast go green.

‘course this is hypothetical, I haven’t done it, you understand! But my foamboard structures on the Greater Windowledge Railway lasted for years.

atb
Simon

Well, one way to find out...

IMG_20201219_125636.jpg

Foamboard underlay

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So that's the foamboard down and solidly fixed.

IMG_20201219_165427_1.jpg

I did it in 2" wide strips to make best use of what I had and also to help identify where the track should go.

IMG_20201219_165440_1.jpg

A bit of grey paint quickly sprayed on to kill the white.
rps20201219_182912.jpg

And then a coat of primer on the undercarriage. I hoping to get some track down tomorrow...
rps20201219_182948.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Big domestic sidetrack prevented much of the planned progress today but all 6 turnouts have be modified and have droppers added. The first one has been laid after some experimentation with servos and their mounts.

Track laying starts

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A quick check on the first turnout this morning revealed that the bits that were meant to be stuck were stuck. More importantly the bits that were meant to be still moving were still moving.

IMG_20201221_084846.jpg

A view of the undercarriage of the next one to be laid showing the minor mods and wires.

IMG_20201221_084840.jpg

Thanks to @Mark F for the fishplates.

Last edited: