Nick Dunhill's Workbench - GNR Stirling Single

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
So...... The story begins when I made the splasher assembly. I worked out what diameter the boiler would be and compared it to how wide the inner faces of the sandboxes would be. I used my extensive knowledge of geometry (I drew it!) to work out how close the inner faces needed to be to give me a flat of about the right height.

I rolled the boiler and cut out the bottom of the firebox and was able to solder some curved strips inside the boiler where the flats would be. I had already drilled a couple of holes through the boiler where the flats would land and was able to solder the curved strips through the holes. Plug soldering?

The flats were then made with a disc sander, adding more solder as I went. It took a while but looks OK I hope.

The boiler was then ground away for the driving wheel splasher bit by bit until the boiler sat in the correct place. I had some extra circular formers to solder inside the boiler to stop it trying to unwrap as more material was removed. When in the correct place, the boiler was soldered in place and all the extra formers taken out.

I had to be careful as the smokebox was only attached to the rear footplate and cab by a thin strip under the footplate and the slide bars and motion brackets. Attaching the boiler made the whole body stable.

It took all day to sort it out. I did make some cutting templates to help with the whole thing. It's a bit weird making a boiler then cutting half of it away!

All good now though.

I just need to add the handrails, make a draw bar and the splashers inside the cab. I'll have to wait until after Christmas to get the cab controls and injectors I need to finish it.

It's been a very taxing job so far. The complex shapes have been a challenge.

Attachments

• 20231219_204821.jpg
    20231219_204821.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 51

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
(It was Frank Sidebottom in case you were all wondering.)

Well here it is nearly finished. I've added tons of small details such as a draw beam and fall plate, the chimney (with lamp iron) etc etc.

53412506676_3840a2055b_b.jpg

53412677573_2ab14ace4b_b.jpg

53412677318_9de7631b4d_b.jpg

The cab needs some nice castings for the backhead and the loco needs a pair of injectors. Mike Hopkins from Scale Factor has promised me them early in the new year. Mike has supplied lots of the castings for this model in cast brass and 3D print form, he has them all in his range of castings. There are also some 3D prints from Mick Davies. This model has been a challenge, and the handrail fought me to the end too!

Happy Xmas to all and I'll upgrade this blog in the new year when the loco is complete.

Mike Morris GWR 155 tank next. Anyone made one?

Last edited:

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave
It isn't going to be one of those builds! I don't have the budget for it. It's going to be an out-of-the-box job with a few upgrades.

I spent yesterday making a very nice pair of coupling rods from the parts provided. I've fettled all the basic chassis parts and all is well so far.

Attachments

• 17033190405341748247691555838666.jpg
    17033190405341748247691555838666.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 63

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Earlier this week I got a large bag of castings from Mike Hopkins. They were castings that were derived from 3D prints and the quality was astounding.

53474185985_d90706f390_b.jpg

There were other bits and pieces to be done, such as the whistle, injectors etc etc. The loco is now finished.

53473770211_0080d6e5db_b.jpg

53474186015_7a24ddcc37_b.jpg

There's a few more pics from Dunhill HQ here;

I have to take the loco to Modelyard in Leeds to get the decoder tuned and synced, and then strip for paint.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Earlier this week I got a large bag of castings from Mike Hopkins. They were castings that were derived from 3D prints and the quality was astounding.

View attachment 206964

There were other bits and pieces to be done, such as the whistle, injectors etc etc. The loco is now finished.

View attachment 206965

View attachment 206966

There's a few more pics from Dunhill HQ here;

I have to take the loco to Modelyard in Leeds to get the decoder tuned and synced, and then strip for paint.
Hi Nick

Those castings look the dogs doodars!! (sp?) Worthy of a loco kit of that standard.

Regards
Rob

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Bob
The backhead (and many other) casings in this model were made from 3D waxes using the lost-wax process in a skilled foundry. It's really nice to have such high quality items, as lots of castings I have used in the past are a little oversized, and not really quite right for the application. These fitted together like Lego and were a pleasure to work with. Big thanks to Mike hopkins and Mick Davies, skilled 3D printers both, bringing new possibilities to the hobby.

The etches I used (see first post on thread) were ones that I commissioned specifically for this job. They are just the basic shapes that I would have cut out myself if I were scratchbuilding the model. There are no tabs or slots etc. Using specially commissioned etches keeps down the cost to the client. It was much cheaper to get someone to draw the parts in CAD, and get them etched in brass than to mark and cut them out by hand. If anyone fancies a set of the etches to have a go at building a Stirling Single get in touch and I can arrange it.

Nick