4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thank you Martin!

I've started cladding the previously under construction building in embossed sheet.

IMG_20211020_094522_782.jpg

IMG_20211020_094522_909.jpg

A quick word about it's construction - foamcore sheet is now my preferred material for building the shell, as its light and easy to cut and I glue the parts together with superglue. Not everyone's cup of tea, but works for me and to date I've had no issues with anything falling apart!

Matt

AJC

Western Thunderer
Intriguing - I haven’t used foamcore in this sort of application but I can see advantages, notably around walls being the right sort of thickness and suitably rigid without a lot of effort! you’ve also got a greater range of surface finishing options too because of the paper/card skin.

I tend to default to 60 thou’ plastic sheet, which has many of the same benefits but is harder to cut and a deal slower in assembly. Hmm.

Adam

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,

Many of my other, older buildings have a plastic sheet shell too, but I've found this stuff works just as well and is a lot easier to cut and mark.

People seem to discourage the use of superglue but again I've had absolutely no issues at all, and it's obviously really quick too!

Matt

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
I am beginning to think that my four turnout track plan for the micro is too ambitious by half and the loss of a turnout would not go amiss.

BR

matto21

Western Thunderer
I am beginning to think that my four turnout track plan for the micro is too ambitious by half and the loss of a turnout would not go amiss.

BR

I suppose it depends on what you want - I'm not overly interested in running trains, so won't be unduly concerned by the limited potential. If its interesting running you want, the more turnouts the better!

Matt

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi Matt,

It may be heresy but a loop is IMHO essential or at least the ability to run around, hence not a great fan of the inglenook concept. My poor attempt at a micro is intended only as an exhibition project and there must be some movement albeit minimal. At the moment, just trying to get my head around how to achieve this in just under 89”x13.4” including a hidden siding using just a Ruston and two swb wagons.

Btw sorry to waffle and gate crashing your fascinating thread

BR

matto21

Western Thunderer
Waffle as much as you like, I enjoy the interaction!

I agree that a loop is needed, however my main reason for building this layout was to actually build something. The one part that derails everything for me (unintended pun!) is laying track and getting it to work. It's one of those essential areas that I don't enjoy, and because I don't, I put little effort in to learn the skills required.

So, I've forfeit any operational potential simply to try and build something.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thank you Chris!

My building is now 98% complete apart from painting and a few bits that'll be added once the walls are finished.

F4.jpg

I originally wanted to apply individual slates to the whole roof, however after things started going askew 70% of the way in, I could only fix it by removing them all. After that, I couldn't face cutting 100s of individual pieces so resorted to self-adhesive slates from York Modelmaking.

F1.jpg

The lower roof, in a rather fetching blue, did survive however!

F2.jpg

Fetching blue because my 3 year old daughter is currently enjoying chopping up paper to her hearts content with safety scissors and I've been saving the bigger bits to use for roofing. I quite like the idea of using the by-product of her development in my models!

Matt

NHY 581

Western Thunderer

BR

My layouts have peaked at six turnouts, not including one in the fiddle yard. My latest has four and none in the fiddle yard. If you are happy with the operation, less is more often than not, more.

20211010_170029-01.jpeg

I suppose it depends on what you want - I'm not overly interested in running trains, so won't be unduly concerned by the limited potential. If its interesting running you want, the more turnouts the better!

Matt

Agreed. More and more I am interested in achieving the 'look'.......

Hi Matt,

It may be heresy but a loop is IMHO essential or at least the ability to run around, hence not a great fan of the inglenook concept. My poor attempt at a micro is intended only as an exhibition project and there must be some movement albeit minimal. At the moment, just trying to get my head around how to achieve this in just under 89”x13.4” including a hidden siding using just a Ruston and two swb wagons.

Btw sorry to waffle and gate crashing your fascinating thread

BR

Agreed. I too regard a loop as essential. However 89" is huge compared to my modest standard of 48" scenic part. Fiddle yards account for a maximum of an additional 36".

However, the current layout has a home fiddle yard of 12"

20210905_193654-01.jpeg

That said, 89" length will provide a nice spacious feel to it all.

Waffle as much as you like, I enjoy the interaction!

I agree that a loop is needed, however my main reason for building this layout was to actually build something. The one part that derails everything for me (unintended pun!) is laying track and getting it to work. It's one of those essential areas that I don't enjoy, and because I don't, I put little effort in to learn the skills required.

So, I've forfeit any operational potential simply to try and build something.

Matt

My approach exactly Matt. Track and electrics are a hurdle to jump before arriving at the buildings and scenery. Please don't mention the ballasting.................oh, hang on.......

This is the current state of play for my latest.

20210911_111538-01.jpeg

And I also offer my apologies for the hi-jack.

Rob.

Rob.

matto21

Western Thunderer
Rob, no need to apologise for the hijack - I welcome any/all comments!

The first photo you posted above - that's a lovely flowing trackplan!

My approach exactly Matt. Track and electrics are a hurdle to jump before arriving at the buildings and scenery.

I often wonder if I'd be better off just building structures and forgetting about the trains!

Matt

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks Matt.

It sort of evolved from part of an Iain Rice trackplan.

I will say though, I don't have your talent for creating structures and rely on RTP resin buildings but I do enjoy adding details and weathering to try and improve the look, hopefully providing a degree of individuality to them as a result.

Overall, the challenge, if you will, is creating space from what is a small and otherwise very compact layout.

Keeping it simple should also mean it progresses.............quicker..........Maybe...

Rob.

matto21

Western Thunderer
And equally, I don't have your talent for finishing things or adapting RTP items Rob!

I'm also tempted by your use of IKEA shelves and tabletops as baseboards and it's something I could be tempted by myself. Unfortunately I don't have an IKEA anywhere that doesn't involve a whole day out though!

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Another day, another mock up in card and masking tape!

20211102_213718.jpg

I know this is getting a bit unconventional - small layout rules normally dictate that less is more - but it strikes me more and more often that places, rural locations aside, are cluttered. We just don't notice because our perspective is different than when we view a 4mm scale layout.

Matt

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I know this is getting a bit unconventional - small layout rules normally dictate that less is more - but it strikes me more and more often that places, rural locations aside, are cluttered. We just don't notice because our perspective is different than when we view a 4mm scale layout.

It's all coming together Matt :thumbs:. One of the tricks is to make the scene appear organic rather than contrived.

Don't be afraid to make buildings and their plots odd shapes to fill in gaps after the railway was built. With this type of scene you could easily have buildings of different periods - those before the railway was built and those after. Of which the latter could easily be late victorian, edwardian, 1930's or even a 1950's building filling gaps or replacing a demolished building. You're only limited by imagination.

matto21

Western Thunderer
A brief diversion...

I bought this 7mm scale open wagon from eBay a few months ago pre-built and painted, but needing some TLC.

After stripping it down, repairing the damage and a repaint and weather, it's had a new lease of life.

No attempt at historical or prototypical accuracy, colours chosen simply to highlight the lettering as its destined to be a 65th birthday present for my father in law.

J65D.jpg

7mm is huge!

matto21

Western Thunderer
Back on track...

Picked up this Ratio LMS van kit on eBay recently for a very good price. I was at a loose end this weekend, and home alone, so decided to get it built as a quick project.

I've seen some photos online of these vans with very heavily weathered doors - to the point of the paint completely peeling off to reveal rotten wood underneath. I've had a go at representing this, although the jury is out as to how successfully.

What I am much happier with is the faded bauxite paint.

20211107_204538.jpg

Roof and markings to be completed, but it's nearly finished.

Matt