4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thank you Simon and Rob!

My thoughts have turned to the building that will occupy the right hand side of the layout. My original intention was to have a brick-built warehouse type building. Having laid the track, it's evident I don't have enough space to do this justice.

I recently bought a Ratio Provender Store kit from eBay and this will now form half of the structure.

I have, however, made a rookie mistake. I planned the building around the size available and ignored the fact that in reality these appear to be prefabricated sections fitted together. As a result, my building is one panel short.

I can't unassemble it without causing damage. It's not the end of the world, but would this ever happen in real life?

Screenshot_20210525_161822.jpg

Screenshot_20210525_161807.jpg

Matt

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Matt.

It may well be worth calling PECO and enquiring about getting a further sprue.

They will supply individual bits. I've previously purchased some direct from them.

Rob.

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob and Martin for the offer!

I actually have enough pieces - it's more a result of planning the building around the space available instead of thinking about how they'd be built in reality.

Basically my structure is now either one panel too long, or one panel too short, depending on your outlook!

I can't shorten or lengthen it without damaging what I've already built. I think I've come up with a workable, if unprototyical solution though.

I've moved the right hand leg inwards by one panel - this evens up the gap between legs. The resulting overhang at the right hand side will be supported by a brick section, which will be part of the second half of the building.

Hopefully that'll make more sense once I finish building it!

Matt

Last edited:

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Long time, no updates. As a result of other things, I got some inspiration to do some structure modelling. This building was originally built for Talerddig as a freelance platform store/office.

After knocking up a door, window sills and a 3D printed chimney (not printed by me!) I've given it a lick of paint.

02.jpg

The roof is made from self-adhesive slate strips from York Modelmaking and I'm not totally convinced by them. Next time I think I'll revert back to individual paper slates.

03.jpg

Obviously the guttering and chimney pot need finishing but it's been an enjoyable little project to complete!

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hello all,

The thing with this layout is there's absolutely no backstory. Why else would there be a couple of random sidings accessed via a track that emerges from behind a house with no obvious purpose or industry?

Backstory and purpose however, are not priorities. Getting something built is.

Despite this, the provender store just isn't working for me. It just seems out of place. Its a real shame, and I'm disappointed, especially given the effort I put in to modify it to fit the space.

I've been playing around with this little structure - originally built as part of Talerddig signal box - and it fits the bill quite nicely in terms of shape and size.

20211011_082107.jpg

Note one slate is missing and ridge tiles not complete!

It just fits the space and looks better and the fact it's another reused structure appeals to my sense of sentimentality!

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

The little building referred to in my last post is now painted.

I'm going to have a few red brick buildings on the layout so this seemed to be a good time to start practicing what is a pretty tricky colour to get right in my opinion.

05.jpg

04.jpg

The brick colour is mixed up from Vallejo acrylics with a pale wash applied to tone it down and represent the mortar.

On the whole I think it looks reasonably realistic, but in hindsight I need to repaint the woodwork in a slightly lighter shade.

Matt

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Matt,

are my assumptions correct, just two turnouts?

I like what you have done with the turnouts, my micro layout needs tiny turnouts therefore no alternative but to use Peco 75 with plain BH.

Nice progress, well done.

BR