1/32 The wall...

Simon

Flying Squad
As all other activities were cancelled I have been getting to grips with this today. Wallingford looks good to go for Larkrail :) a board or about 4ft x 2ft6 is manageable so it is time to get a move on :)) rather than scattering stuff in workbench threads ill just chuck it all in here!

Yes please!!

That'll be the 1/32 sorted out then.....

I had interesting conversations with Steve Harrod and Rob Mabbett about possible collaborations - one of the conclusions of which was that a Class 121/2 railcar would be a "really useful engine".

Coombe Junction anyone?

Simon

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes please!!

That'll be the 1/32 sorted out then.....

I had interesting conversations with Steve Harrod and Rob Mabbett about possible collaborations - one of the conclusions of which was that a Class 121/2 railcar would be a "really useful engine".

Coombe Junction anyone?

Simon
I need the deadline and the pressure to get things done ;)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
the original outer wall is on the right
How easy to show, on the CAD work, just which of the bricks on the RHS formed the corner of the original building before the extension was extended?

If we posit that the extended extension was built without significant demolition of the original then the arrangement of bricks on the original corner has got to be the starting point... and that the minimum of bricks would have been removed....

28ten

Guv'nor
How easy to show, on the CAD work, just which of the bricks on the RHS formed the corner of the original building before the extension was extended?

If we posit that the extended extension was built without significant demolition of the original then the arrangement of bricks on the original corner has got to be the starting point... and that the minimum of bricks would have been removed....

a bit crude but the original is in yellow. I think this is the minimal amount of work for a decent join
Capture.JPG

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Yes, I agree with you on which bricks were likely to be removed to provide a start point for the extended extension wall.

28ten

Guv'nor
As some relief from brickwork I have knocked up a plan
Wallingford circa 1950
Wallingford 1.JPG
This is overlaid with a 16ftx 4ft grid
Wallingford 2.JPG

Finally with a rationalised track plan - the light blue shows the area of the diorama
Wallingford 3.JPG

I have drawn it all out because there is the off chance I might like it enough to extend towards the bridge and show more of the yard. In which case I would loose a couple of foot of the platform and slew the goods shed in a bit. its all a big if but I would rather have planned board joins with it in mind than find myself bodging something together. Given my aversion to operation it would be rather jolly to model the whole lot with the track lifted :))

28ten

Guv'nor
Not so in the late 60's wall plates were starting to be used so a motar gap was left and this is then weather proofed with compo. so if the brick courses didn't line up no big deal
This was done in the twenties, from the one reasonable shot I have it looked pretty rough and on the toilet extension the brickwork is a totally different colour. Im more interested in the brick bonds than the trains :))

28ten

Guv'nor
With yet more rain today thoughts have turned to some sort of board to chuck it all on and at the moment im favouring stryofoam with ply edging. which should be quick and light, i just need to make sure there is provision for any possible extension. The only fly in the ointment is the need to buy half a dozen sheets at a time when I only want one so i may end up with wickes finest:)

28ten

Guv'nor
Running through the hypothesis that it might become more than a diorama, I have chopped a foot out of the platform and nudged the track and bridge to within the arbitrary 16ft limit, which has brought the goods shed within limits. Some other thoughts are in yellow, Id like to include the boundary fence in the diorama so a diamond shape could be interesting, and I wonder if the point marked would have been removed as there would be no need for a run round, its all hypothetical but I know some of you like to hypothesize :)
I also think some sort of semicircular addition to the lower edge of the board might be good to relieve all the parallel straight lines

retionalised.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
This quick grab shows how I will use the top of the board as a datum with the structures foundations being the full depth of the platform. The forecourt sloped away from the station so it can be contoured along the edge of the building.
Capture.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
Drawing work is continuing and at the moment I am looking at the canopy supports. Thankfully they were pretty plain. I havent quite got the proportions right, the main 'pole' is 4" diameter, but im not sure if the diameter should be increased. does anybody knows better ?
Capture.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
Here is another little thing that has turned up. The drawings in the Wallingford book suggest an arrangement like this for the canopy joists, so they must have removed some brickwork to set the joists. Shame the building is not still standing so I could have a look :)
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
Something that i need to get to grips with is the level of non visible detail, Ill chuck the kitchen sink at doors and windows, but joists etc is a different matter and im not entirely happy about removeable roofs as the compromise guttering and overall rigidity. So anything that gets an interior and lighting will get joists etc, so for the shed, the mess room will have full detail as will the main shed, but the parcels office which has tiny windows and bars will get nothing and i wont bother detailing the toilets, but the rest of the station building will get a full interior. I hate to use the c word but some form of compromise seems sensible.

shed.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
Im also tinkering with the idea of a miniature camera concealed in the shed toilet (on the right) facing outwards towards the shed main door. I have no experience of such devices, but it could be a jolly wheeze :)

cam.JPG