NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Well, against my better judgement, a SE&CR liveried Terrier has been ordered direct from Dapol. Given the effort involved in obtained three examples of BR liveried jobs from them that ran well and weren't damaged, I'm not holding my breath.

However, I have to have a go. If successful, that will give me a stud of four SE&CR locos in green and two in wartime/ post WW1 grey.

The alternative is an example from Hornby but I'm not keen as I don't consider it to be as well detailed though the finish is great.

I shall keep you updated as to progress.............

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Evening all,

The motive power for Lambsdown is now complete with the arrival of the SE&CR Terrier.

20220928_155426-03.jpeg.578b662df8a16bc8c78e77780aa9a8ae.jpeg

I 've not previously had much luck when dealing with Dapol and their Terriers. This is no exception.......it runs reasonably well but has a slight warp to the footplate on one side only. However, I'm pretty sure I can tweak the footplate rather than go through the rigmarole of sending back ad nauseum.

751 was acquired by the SE&CR for the Leysdown ( Lambsdown) branch but departed in 1909 when it's boiler was replaced.

The replacement for 751 on the branch services was a Wainwright P Class...no 27 as it happens.....

20220928_155504-03.jpeg.67780254cf2660065c82d01fe5191750.jpeg

Stunning finish on both but the P class is certainly superior. The wheels in particular let the Terrier down and lack the lining which is so well done on the P , C and the H.

But..........what a lovely looking set of locos.

Rob.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The motive power for Lambsdown is now complete with the arrival of the SE&CR Terrier.

Just require the motor train set converted from LCDR 6 wheelers. :)

I 've not previously had much luck when dealing with Dapol and their Terriers. This is no exception.......it runs reasonably well but has a slight warp to the footplate on one side only. However, I'm pretty sure I can tweak the footplate rather than go through the rigmarole of sending back ad nauseum.

Makes you wonder about quality control or lack of. Was it packed in it's box too tight?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Just require the motor train set converted from LCDR 6 wheelers. :)

Makes you wonder about quality control or lack of. Was it packed in it's box too tight?

Morning Dave,

I'll be using a rake of generic Hattons six wheelers. They'll do.

As for Dapol's quality control, I've dealt with Dapol direct before.

It took eight attempts to supply me with three BR Terriers that 1. Ran properly 2. Were not warped 3. Had no damaged or missing parts.

Throughout this process, I rang them and explained the issues found on receipt, sent them videos evidencing poor running and emailed them photos and supporting explanations as to why snapped lampirons, warped footplates and missing parts were not good things. Each time I asked for the model to be physically checked prior to dispatch. It still took forever. The last model was sent to me supported by an email from them essentially saying take it or leave it............

So I took a chance ordering the SE&CR version from them armed with my previous experiences.

If it had run like a kipper or had missing/broken bits, I'd have sent it back straightaway. It will need to come apart to fit a decoder in and I'll tweak it then.

R

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I recall when ‘that bloke off Top Gear’ threw the box of the Wren(?) 8F that he’d just bought at auction into the bin, on the basis he was going to use the loco rather than keep it as an investment.
Priceless (the moment that is, not the box - or maybe both!).

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
ln summary, I've long held a desire to have a go at a pre-grouping layout, based on RTR stock.

Ideally, it would be either S&DJR or L&SWR.

The latter is possible. Two Hornby L&SWR Terriers, some Hornby 4 wheel coaches and a Kernow road van and you have the basics and I came pretty close, I can tell you. But it would lack a bit of motive power variety.

LB&SCR is again possible, using Terriers but there are also the Bachmann E4 and the emerging E1 from Rapido as well as 4/6wheel coaches from Hornby and Hattons but no small brake van.......yet.

However, to recap, it was the finding of a Hornby H class in the Full Monty SE&CR livery the purchase of which did not require one to sell an internal organ to fund which has kickstarted this.

I think it unlikely that much progress will be made before Christmas. There's too much going on at present in real life so I'd rather not start anything just yet.

I'm also not sure what size layout this will be. I've thought about producing a usable BLT in 4ft. I think I can do this is in a way that will produce a decent looking layout. Obviously massively compressed but meaningful enough( if you get my drift ) to produce a workable terminus. The result could demonstrate how easy it is to have a small home layout which is easily stored and ooperated.A true Cameo of a larger layout.

The alternative is expand to 8ft and produce a more traditionally sized BLT. I have the boards but more of a challenge to house.

I have pretty much all the buildings I need, most of the track, all the locos, coaches are ordered and awaited and wagons are in hand.

Another contributing factor drawing me into the seedy world ofothe SE&CR was the incoming availability of the 6 wheel brake van from Rapido and the earlier open end jobs
(Images from Rapido/Rails )

The existing opens from Rapido and their forthcoming ventilated vans are too late for the Full Monty loco livery but okay for the later wartime and beyond grey livery.

There will therefore need to be a bit of kit building to provide a few choice, earlier items of rolling stock.

Long term, I hope to be able to run Lambsdown in both pre and post WW1 guise. I now have the locos for pre-war and a couple of post-war.

20220610_211138-02-01.jpeg.e882d32cccbd6c1600f37a76d6895fce.jpeg

20220610_205352-02.jpeg.0673de52f696b211ebfe154dd90c3acf.jpeg

I can get away with the coaching stock for both. It's just a few wagons really...........well, that's the simplistic sheep view of it all. I don't see the need to complicate matters......Leave that to the 'more knowledgeable ' types.....

As ever, I'll probably start tinkering with the buildings first and the rest will follow on.

If nothing else, this layout will demonstrate that you really don't have to be an ace loco builder or scratch builder to get going in pre-grouping modelling.

Rob.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I'm also not sure what size layout this will be. I've thought about producing a usable BLT in 4ft. I think I can do this is in a way that will produce a decent looking layout. Obviously massively compressed but meaningful enough( if you get my drift ) to produce a workable terminus. The result could demonstrate how easy it is to have a small home layout which is easily stored and ooperated.A true Cameo of a larger layout.

The alternative is expand to 8ft and produce a more traditionally sized BLT. I have the boards but more of a challenge to house.

You might be able to create a BLT in 1.8m (6').

The layout I built for my dad it measures 1.7 x 0.4m (5' 7'' x 1' 4'') as it was designed to go along one wall of a room with a corner cut away at the room door end. A hinged sector plate/fiddleyard can be raised in front of the door and adds a further 0.7m (2' 4''). Being a Man of Kent he wanted Leysdown (as he has SECR and SR stock) but I had to reverse the trackplan due the wall the layout sits against. (My dad added the non-permanent buildings and other details as he also runs his Bavarian HO stock for a change).

Layout 1.jpg

Rob R

Western Thunderer
There is a fair chance that the RTR guys will have to produce more pre-group stuff as they seem to have done all the deseasels and BR standards.
Not wish listing as it's all the wrong scale!:)

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I think there is a market for pre-grouping rtr models. At present, a wartime grey H class would be nice and would complete the above ensemble.

At some point, I would like to do Terrier 751 in it's later life, in grey. This could not be done using a straightforward repaint of an existing Terrier. In 1909 751 was fitted with a Wainwright boiler. It obviously altered it appearance. I fancy a go at this but will do a bit more research first.......It was long lived in this guise, certainly until 1932........However, it's unlikely that it will appear rtr as it was a one off.

Rob

I may well do a S&DJR 3F tender engine as well as a 4F but again, they can wait a bit.........

Rob.