NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Well, today has been pretty productive and the layout is more or less ready to go to Exeter.

A few small jobs tomorrow and then all can be loaded ready to go.

Phew.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Something has gone wrong. I just don't know it yet.

Why ?

Simply that I'm far too relaxed regarding prep for the show. I have one last job on the layout this morning and all done.

I'm not normally this chilled about such things............

I sense Lord Cack, God of Chaos circling above Chateau Sheep........

Rob.

Simon

Flying Squad
You'll have a great time, it is a really good show which attracts lots of nice folk from the nether regions, oh and probably Cap'n Kernow too!

May your 08 run smoothly and the farce be with you:p

Simon

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I agree with Simon, lovely show, used to go there when I lived in Newton Poppleford.
Hope all goes well and yes the outdoor shots are terrific.
All the best
Julian

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
In summary, the show went well. Quite amusing how many people started their conversation with "you're that sheepbloke aren't you ?".........
Lots of putting faces to names from both Rmweb and Western Thunder.

Sheep Dip behaved very well. Fearing the worst, I took three Pecketts, an 08 and an 03. I used the same Peckett and the 08 all weekend, cleaning the track once on Sunday morning as a precautionary measure.

20220626_152035-01.thumb.jpeg.285de324cf1c574c082da8a4fe4c00b2.jpeg

Operationally, it was okay. I got into a bit of a rhythm with a couple of moves and they served me well in between much chatting. The ludicrously small fiddly area lived up to expectations. It was ludicrously small. However, it added to the fun and was viable for a two day show.......as long as you accepted the obvious limitations.

Main topics of conversation were the static grass, bushes and weathering but much intrigue over the presentation and the use of the Swedish baseboard...

20220626_100644-03.thumb.jpeg.631f064c74f8826fd54cb13dde3521aa.jpeg

Funnily enough, no comments about the display height, pokey finger points or tension locks. People seemed to understand. A few asked about the 'EM gauge' trackwork...........

Lots enjoyed the fact that you looked into rather than down on the layout and could peer around or through the bushes.

20220626_152045-01.thumb.jpeg.3cb8f8772cb2d11ab01c14fb7b522fed.jpeg

Overall, I think a few things clicked this weekend. Loading and unloading was straight forward. Set up was quick and things would have been running within 15mins on Friday evening had I had mains power. The layout was dismantled equally as quick at the close of play on Sunday.

There are still a few minor jobs to do before Dip's next appearance at the Cardiff Show in August. There are also a couple of potential exhibition invites to come.

20220626_152103-01.thumb.jpeg.d96fed4fbd56d6f0104aed25e4a15cce.jpeg

I may well be back there next year, subject to any clashes with other events which have been pencilled in.

This week then will see a bit of a tweak given to Bleat Wharf ahead of the Penarth show this weekend. Work has started and a slight snag has been found but nothing that cannot be resolved.

Onward !

In summary, the show went well. Quite amusing how many people started their conversation with "you're that sheepbloke aren't you ?".........
Lots of putting faces to names from both Rmweb and Western Thunder.

Sheep Dip behaved very well. Fearing the worst, I took three Pecketts, an 08 and an 03. I used the same Peckett and the 08 all weekend, cleaning the track once on Sunday morning as a precautionary measure.

20220626_152035-01.thumb.jpeg.285de324cf1c574c082da8a4fe4c00b2.jpeg

Operationally, it was okay. I got into a bit of a rhythm with a couple of moves and they served me well in between much chatting. The ludicrously small fiddly area lived up to expectations. It was ludicrously small. However, it added to the fun and was viable for a two day show.......as long as you accepted the obvious limitations.

Main topics of conversation were the static grass, bushes and weathering but much intrigue over the presentation and the use of the Swedish baseboard...

20220626_100644-03.thumb.jpeg.631f064c74f8826fd54cb13dde3521aa.jpeg

Funnily enough, no comments about the display height, pokey finger points or tension locks. People seemed to understand. A few asked about the 'EM gauge' trackwork...........

Lots enjoyed the fact that you looked into rather than down on the layout and could peer around or through the bushes.

20220626_152045-01.thumb.jpeg.3cb8f8772cb2d11ab01c14fb7b522fed.jpeg

Overall, I think a few things clicked this weekend. Loading and unloading was straight forward. Set up was quick and things would have been running within 15mins on Friday evening had I had mains power. The layout was dismantled equally as quick at the close of play on Sunday.

There are still a few minor jobs to do before Dip's next appearance at the Cardiff Show in August. There are also a couple of potential exhibition invites to come.

20220626_152103-01.thumb.jpeg.d96fed4fbd56d6f0104aed25e4a15cce.jpeg

I may well be back there next year, subject to any clashes with other events which have been pencilled in.

This week then will see a bit of a tweak given to Bleat Wharf ahead of the Penarth show this weekend. Work has started and a slight snag has been found but nothing that cannot be resolved.

Onward !
It was good to meet you Mr Sheepbloke I recognised you from your avatar, great layout as well, worth the admission alone. Look forward to seeing the 7mm layout next time.....

Malcolm

Western Thunderer
Nice to meet you Rob, I can honestly say Sheep Dip looks better in real life than the photos. There's complete and 100% consistency to the overall look that is very hard to achieve, not just in the weathering but the overall standard of modelmaking. Many layouts have something that jarrs, is wonky or just too detailed. This is mainly modern RTR stock next to not very well made kits etc.

Here's two shots from the Exeter show, possibly revealing too much IKEA there!!

IMG_20220626_133643146_HDR.jpgIMG_20220626_133632113_HDR.jpg

Tony

Last edited:

Vaughan45

Nice to meet you Rob, I can honestly say Sheep Dip looks better in real life than the photos. There's complete and 100% consistency to the overall look that is very hard to achieve, not just in the weathering but the overall standard or modelmaking. Many layouts have something that jarrs, is wonky or just too detailed. This is mainly modern RTR stock next to not very well made kits etc.

Here's two shots from the Exeter show, possibly revealing too much IKEA there!!

View attachment 166068View attachment 166069

Tony

That's not IKEA, its the underlying rock strata!

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Evening all,

Malcolm, Nick. Great to see you both and thank you for your kind words. It was lovely to spend time chatting to you.

Thanks for the photos, Tony. By return I was very taken with Dublingham which looked splendid. The presentation was excellent and the idea that visitors viewed the layout whilst seated in front of it was brilliant.

To be honest, I think the small layouts were the quiet stars of the show. The obvious exception was Moors View, rightly accredited by both the vistors and exhibitors best in show.

The layout truly showcased 2mm modelling and the snowy setting certainly made this here sheep tuck his wool in !!!

I'm currently just tidying a couple of things on Bleat before reassembly and final testing.

Rob.

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Slight snag with Bleat Wharf this morning regarding the backscene. In short, having replaced the mounting card due to a mark in the old one, I now have another mark..........

With an ever decreasing time frame I shall have to go with the flow on this. Bleat's next show is at the beginning of August so at least there's time for another go ahead of that one.

Most other issues are done now and layout reassembly and final testing should be completed by this evening.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

Well, with the builders in knocking the house about, prep for the Minehead show has taken a bit of a step back.

To be fair, they brought our job forward by three weeks so they'll be finishing three weeks early, possibly sooner going by their progress to date.

Returning to Bleat Wharf, one or two minor jobs have been resolved, including a wiring issue.

The main thing will be to have a look at the 4F and give it a clean and check over. It could be better. The 3F was fine as was the Pannier but they will also be checked.

I really would like to get a Jinty that runs well but it has proven tricky. The long term solution of a Comet chassis remains in the background. Actually it remains in the box but looking increasingly likely to progress.

If nothing else, it will provide practice for the High Level Pug chassis conversion currently on it's way..........

Rob.