7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Mick -
the taper post is an MSE milled brass one..

Adrian -
Thanks - interesting tip, what size head does your mallet have?

dt -
Yes - the workbench is a sea of etched brass with 3 7mm coach kits on the go!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Has anyone ever bothered to make a pair of wooden form tools for pressing tumblehomes for small batch work?

I'm guessing it would be difficult to get the right degree of 'press' angle on the formers given work hardening of brass and spring-back, other than by trial and error?

Mind you, I think I'll have to make a slightly smaller press for 7mm work.....

200T Press.jpg

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Given the stiffness of the brass, that press might just do it Osgood. I know folks in 4mm made up presses in the past. It would need some skilled toolmaking to get the shape right in 7mm and also of course the tumblehome is different between LMS and LNER vehicles, in that the LNER one is more 'high waisted'.
So not an easy resolution.

Regards

Tony

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I finally manged to get my act together and get some portrait shots, the endless work continues to get the 2P finished for Railex and I'm now working on my 4th crew member as I was dissatisfied with the others I had prepared:-

P1010285.JPG

The 04/7 won't be appearing sadly:

P1010289.JPG

But the 04/8 will! Hurrah! :-
P1010303.JPG

Attachments

• P1010303.JPG
    P1010303.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks every one, I'd like to take credit for the 04 builds, but they are the work of my good friend Allen Hammet. I'm only responsible for the weathering....
We only have photographic evidence for an 04/8 on the Oldham loop, so the 04/7 will stay at home on shed!

We'll be quietly exerting the LNE influence with the K3 and B1 as well.

Cheers

Tony

dibateg

Western Thunderer
It's been a while since I posted. Since Railex, Austria, garden work and renovating the last room of the house have kept me busy. One of the advantages of living in Wales and being on call is that it's too wet to do anything outside, and I can't go far from home, so the only thing to do is make trains and get paid for it. One of the projects thats been on back burner for a while are two Sidelines non-corridor Thompson coaches and and LMS full brake. They are probably not quite up to the standard of Heathers excellent work, but I do like working in brass.

Here is the D2007 full brake for starters, changes to the stock kit are Griffin door stops, 2mm angle to replace the etched trussing and a concealed wire spigot to support that very vulnerable guards step, which would be the first thing to go during handling. The bogies were made as part of a batch build about 2 years ago when I completed the coaches for my 4 coach LMS set. More detail, such as cables etc. to be added yet as well as some pads to raise the ride height.
P1010337.JPG