7mm The Derby Line: Basford North

simond

Western Thunderer
Tony,

please do give us some insight into your process as you do this, it’ll be interesting.

thx & Merry Christmas
Simon

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Having seen the working arrangements on Geoff Taylors Barmouth Junctiona and John Elloitt's Leeds, I always wanted a meaningfull operating sequence to give a sense of time and place. It took 6 years to finally get hold of a wt, albeit 8 years before my chosen date. No doubt some service would have dropped out by 1960. I certainly havn't got 80 trains, but I could represent the majority of the traffic with the 22 trains or so that I have. Although I designed the storage sidings to be as flexible, they are remarkably inflexible as well, but I am trying to represent 3 routes to East of Basford North!
So I began with printing out a plan of the layout and representing the trains with 4mm sleepers, With practically no empty sidings, I needed to see where trains could go to represent a certain service.
Then using a spreadsheet I catalogued all the services through the station in both directions. Once I had that I could work through and see what i could represent in the 24 hour period.
Not every train could be represented, and successions of West and East bound minerals would look daft with the same train going round 3 times, so effectively I've cancelled some out. Some are just an out and back to the same road, others swap between Bulwell Common, Colwick and Notting Victoria. There will be a lot of duplication of course, for instance the Grantham Derby trains will be represented by the same train throughout the day, but it's the operating railway I want to portray. I've got far more stock than I can fit on the railway and I'm thinking about twhere to fit more storage sidings...
The next stage is to work it through and see if it actually works. The idea is that the sequence can be stopped at any time and restarted from that place. The spreadsheet has been printed out to scribble on and no doubt the sequens will develop over time.

WT.jpg

Xmas wishes
Tony

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Tony,

I've been doing something similar, but for Radcliffe (Lancs) Goods Yard circa 1921. Thankfully, the LYRS has started to publish books on the goods workings, with volume 1 containing places from A to D. It even includes loco types where noted.
I look forward to seeing how you progress.

Ian

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave -
yes - just a test fitting at the moment, once the bridge is finished that gap will be corrected!

Regards
Tony
Great photo. Looking forward to a later shot when the station platforms are populated. But will there be another Modelu you waiting for a train?
Steve

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve -

There has been a gap, but we are back with working days

Geoff Taylor and Alisdair Macdonald get stuck in with the grass and bushes...
IMG_9946.JPG

The area around the Brooklyn Road and Park Lane bridges has received more foliage...
IMG_9949.JPG

I don't like areal views, but it's filling out at the back now...
IMG_9950.JPG

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I'm sure that's the only practical way to reach the back of the boards, but it does look to have the potential for collateral damage.
Dave.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Mike - Jim Guthrie refined my Templot plan to put in the transition curves.

Steve - mostly Geoff and Alisdair, I just did the ground worl!

Larry - It's a mix of dark dust and paint powder put down on fresh paint - I'll check with Geoff for the exact technique!

Dave - The whole road bank leading up to the Park Lane bridge comes out, I'm not sure why Geoff didn't do that! But I've left areas of open ground for that purpose and we use carpet tiles to rest on...

Suddaby

Western Thunderer
I'm sure that's the only practical way to reach the back of the boards, but it does look to have the potential for collateral damage.
Dave.
Don't worry, Geoff's only lightweight, now if I climbed up there. (which I probably couldn't) there would be trouble and severe mining subsidence! Nice to see more progress on the scenery Tony.

Kevin