7mm The Derby Line: Basford North

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Martyn -
Signal work has continued between Xmas revelings...

The 5 arm is on it's way - my railway room is not big enough to incorporate all those routes, so we have to imagine they are off scene, but the signal has such character, I couldn't leave it out.. I'm working through the multitude of shunt signals.. is there a collective name?
IMG_2683.JPG

A Boltons bits etch forms the platform for this somewhat unprepossessing bracket that control exit from the platform bay. It replaced ( in the late 50's I think ) a GNR 3 arm bracket signal. It appears to be derived from an LMS design, so contrasts with it's rather more elegant GNR neighbours. So, just another wooden post and the three concrete signals to make...
IMG_2685.JPG

Then it's back to the electronics to control them - a production line of MERG servo boards on the workbench. Just a few years ago my electronics career started designing and making circuit boards... It's quite therapeutic making up these...
IMG_2681.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Chaps!
Whilst I'm at the workbench, I thought I'd knock up more items for the layout. I know the Intentio platelayers hut is GC, but it's very similar to the GN one and will represent the one by the Vernon Road bridge. I cut the GWR emblems out of the Peco station seats and they are quite close to the ones that were on the station platform..
IMG_2686.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Signal 43 takes shape, I'm not sure why it has two ladders, but the arm was low, to enable sighting under the GC main line bridge and I suspect the extra height was for guy wires between this signal and the adjacent splitting signal on the down line from Bagthorpe Junction.
IMG_2815.JPG

Background work continues apace, the signal servos ( SG-90s ) have all been mounted up on my stainless laser cut brackets.
I still have a stock of these at £3 each, pm me if you are interested.
IMG_2804.JPG

Last edited:

dibateg

Western Thunderer
At last I'm getting to a stage where I can get semi real looking photos - there is still a lot to do with the scenery. I'd like a more late summer look.. With a bit of Photoshop, I could get those lines out in the background..
IMG_7806.JPG

Now most of the signals are nearly complete, I can test plant them. Scenery and ballast progress slowly from West to East...This signal controls exit from the goods yard.. lots of places to go to!
IMG_7804.JPG

Signal 43 on the down line from Leen Valley Junction. A fence post is wedged in the wire to keep it horizontal!
IMG_7805.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Ballasting continues, as does work on the backscene.

In the meantime, workbench time has been devoted to the Brooklyn Road bridge that is on the link to Bulwell Common. its the first substantial structure I have built in plasticard. Although the deck is made from scrap etch.
IMG_2894.JPG

Based on this bridge, though I have had to stretch and skew it. ( Photo by Hayden Reed )
GC GN north Chord (2) copy.jpg

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Once the brick sheets are added, it looks a bit more promising. I moved the buttresses out a little and added outer ribs on the cross beam. Some of my brick courses are not perfect, this bridge is located 4 feet back on the layout and will only be detailed on the viewing side. But I think the MekPak has had an adverse affect on me, I was quite ill last night...
IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
That looks better, Tony, and looking very nice indeed. I wasn't a structural engineer, but I think the outer stiffening ribs would be quite important, structurally, on the real bridge.
Dave.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I agree, moving the butresses out is a big improvement. Thought I'd posted a comment suggesting it but apparently not.