7mm Stroudley Park

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'm pleased it was helpful, Ian. A bit late for us but there are some really good photos of Ks coming up quite soon on the Tim Mills thread. I didn't have them, of course, when I was building mine. :D

Brian

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Oh that really is very nice.

John
Thank you John. I was determined to have a K Class. Determination paid off in the end. I also enjoyed the scratchbuilding as well and I quite understand when modellers say it is easier/preferable to scratchbuild. Some of the parts in this kit were awful and just had to be re-made.
Well, we are model makers after all!
Regards,
Ian

Weathering Removal New

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
In the past, I’ve always used my airbrush in the garage for weathering using Floquil weathering colours (all necessary health precaution were taken).
Recently, I thought I’d try the latest trend using more user friendly paint. The effect I was hoping to achieve is a clean, lightly weathered, cared for finish. I am not pleased with the result as the Terrier looks too grubby and should have been much more subtle.
Is there a way to remedy the situation without destroying the paint underneath?
The weathering was in oil paint. When I was an art student, I’ll paint used to take ages to dry, so I thought I would be able to ‘work’ the weathering until I was pleased with it but it dried quicker than enamels.

IMG_1289.jpeg
Regards,
Ian

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
That's a tricky one as there are various oil paint removers out there on the market - probably too powerful.

What is the finish underneath. Enamel, Cellulose, Acrylic?

My initial thought would be to use one of the water soluble oil paint brush cleaners.

In the past I've used Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and even the Tamiya paint thinners to remove excess weathering. All with cotton wool buds/tips dipped in the solution and wipe carefully in a downwards motion. With just enough solution on the tip to soften the oil paint layer.

This removes most of the excess weathering and in some cases leaves enough behind in the right places for a rain streaked finish.

The only caveat being mine is on acrylic finishes as I very rarely use enamel paints other than the London Transport colours.

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the tip Dave. The loco is painted with Precision Phoenix so I’m hoping it’s going to withstand the IPA. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Regards,
Ian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Just be careful around the decals (and lining decals if used) as not to take any ink off.

I would assume an enamel varnish was used to seal these.