Rivermead Central

Western Thunderer
The second sleeper-built buffer stop is ready for the layout.

The insert is made, as near as dammit identical to the first one (which was the idea):

22E18330-0EA3-4C0F-B4CF-94A3BC5BFB10.jpeg

The buffer stop has been cleaned and the insert test fitted:

97C92101-727F-49EA-A30B-85D3B9BC94E1.jpeg

All is well, so ready to use.

I have made a couple more of the central support blocks, with the angled top surface, to make further inserts for more sleeper-built stops. I have more sleeper-built stops than I need but not enough rail built stops, so, unless more rail-built stops turn up, I will need to use at least three more of the sleeper-built type. Since I seem to have got the angle on the top of the central support just right, I thought it made sense to make more of these now ready for future construction.

Western Thunderer
My optimism that it would be easier to install the second sleeper-built buffer-stop proved misplaced. This one fought me all the way, but I won:

3CEAD96A-8AE2-46D9-8EF0-F61890F1B6CF.jpeg

45169820-DEA0-4628-AEEC-E85A1FD0A41F.jpeg

It turns out, the track panel at the end of this siding is very slightly wide to gauge, so my jig wasn’t tightly held between the rails. Hence, despite being slightly less of a stretch to reach, it was again very difficult to keep the buffer-stop in the correct position whilst tightening the fixing screws. Anyway, job done and I’m pleased with how it looks.

Note to self: Make sure the track plans for the rest of the layout do not require buffer stops to be installed so far back from the front of the base board.

Western Thunderer
Three weeks since I posted any update on work on Rivermead Central. That is because modelling activity only resumed a couple of days ago after a gap of more than a fortnight.

I decided to make a few excursions by rail to places of interest. On my fourth day out (it must have been then, from the timing) I caught COVID — though I didn’t know it until after my fifth day out when I visited two busy museums. Apologies to everyone I infected but I had no idea I had the virus. I was then too ill to do anything for eight days and am still on light duties now.

Anyway, modelling has started again.

As previously indicated, I was not originally intending to make any representation of an interior for the Benham’s factory building. Then practical considerations led to a decision to include a platform area with end loading ramp, essentially to provide a built in buffer stop — see my post #155. I have now also constructed a narrow platform for side loading/unloading rail wagons inside the factory building. This platform, or at least some of it, will certainly be easily visible through the rail siding entrance into the building. I had always been slightly concerned that the absence of any interior would show. The side-loading is platform is narrow because the part of the Benham’s factory behind the rail siding is essentially modelled in low relief only. But I do think a narrow platform will provide a ‘suggestion’ for the (actually non-existent) larger factory building that should be there.

The interior components are now ready to fit inside the building:

BE7FF25D-1F84-47FB-BE8C-8C6C0D610B4F.jpeg

The side-loading platform and end-loading platform are not joined but they will be when fastened in position.

0CDB15DE-1064-4FDD-8122-10A6D2069C82.jpeg

C951B794-83A0-4F5D-9B36-63FF454F9591.jpeg

The buffer plank is an old re-used Lowko Track sleeper.

It’s all very plain but there is more than enough to provide an adequate representation of the interior of a building right at the back of the layout.

Western Thunderer
Pressing on with painting the Benham’s factory building:

449AE273-EA1D-458C-8569-FCCC3C1D0F57.jpeg

‘Mortar’ added to the brickwork and a first light coat of matt varnish to seal the paint work to date. In this view, you can see where the internal loading platform will be:

AA4EB27A-007A-40AE-A2EE-171C2B043BB5.jpeg

The platform will cover the brown painted plywood at the bottom of the back wall of the building. The black painted plywood sheet above is my representation of the cavernous interior of the huge Benham’s factory complex.

Still to add — weathering, coping, window sills and windows. But I need to get this building finished and in place on the layout before other scenery can be installed in the area ‘in front’ of the factory.

Western Thunderer
The interior loading platform is now fixed inside the Benham’s factory. However, when put in place as a test before fastening in position, I decided I still needed something else as a view blocker to disguise that the large factory interior space wasn’t actually there. I bought two very nice engineering crates from Monks Gate Models which do the job perfectly:

BA5F38CC-30B4-4E3B-97AF-48400729C2D7.jpeg

9B68D241-084F-46E2-8992-F9D5F9DFA462.jpeg

The crates are fixed to the platform with small screws as it would be a nuisance, right at the back of the layout and inside the building, if one fell onto the track. I have no idea what’s inside the crates — they look suitable for the Ark of the Covenant or a range of engineering products. Now the platform is correctly positioned, I will put in a couple more screws to hold it secure and fill the small gap at the end of the platform adjacent to the entrance.

Western Thunderer
On-going progress with the various tasks needed to complete the Benham’s factory. I have now added the window sills. These still require weathering but that will be done as part of the overall finishing of the building.

3DA66291-362D-4247-A52C-059DE1788D6C.jpeg

1C3A56A4-F90E-4C34-8738-4BED0022F281.jpeg

I have also filled in the small gaps at either end of the side-loading platform:

9D96E118-880E-47F9-9A60-89D16436659C.jpeg

Again, weathering to be added at a later stage.

Still to do: windows, coping and overall weathering of the whole structure.

Western Thunderer
Fitting the coping to the Benham’s factory. This is very much work in progress:

6B0D4AED-B33B-47D8-A429-5A7D49E9AE76.jpeg

D67362EB-22BA-4C32-81DA-54A7F4FC18B3.jpeg

The coping is grey-painted strip wood, exactly as used on the Benham’s warehouse. I’ve still to make the pieces for the left-hand end. The coping is fastened with glue and variously moulding pins and tiny wood-screws. There are a few small gaps underneath where the top of the ‘brick’ wall is not completely straight and level, so these will be sorted out with filler and paint.

The two lengths of strip wood on the roof fit into the underside of the ‘Benham’s’ roof sign and will hold it in the correct position.

Fitting the coping makes a big to difference to the overall look of the building.

Western Thunderer
I have now fitted all the coping to the Benham’s factory. The heads of the moulding pins and screws used to fix the coping have been covered with filler, sanded and painted over:

CB74AAAA-1D24-4104-848C-3AB3FE9E7586.jpeg

4C0AED0E-C949-40AE-BAD1-4DF348107467.jpeg

The ‘missing’ piece of coping (on the right in the second photo) is actually on the Benham’s warehouse building — this being the shared wall between the two buildings. The second photo also underlines that this is a building built of wood. Every part visible is painted wood. Only on the front elevation and the visible end has the wooden carcass been covered with MDF panels.

There are a few gaps between the ‘brick’ walls and the coping that need filling. More weathering still to apply. And windows to fit. Then it’s done.

Western Thunderer
Spent some time today working on the Benham’s factory building, filling the gap (where present) between the coping and the top of the ‘brick’ walls. Nowhere was this gap more than c. 0.5 mm, but filling it makes a big difference. Instead of resting on top of the wall, the coping becomes part of the wall:

C27D26BA-D950-47E0-8F29-BC44B75D9F11.jpeg

The ‘to do’ list for this building is shrinking fast. Weathering and windows to go.

Western Thunderer
A first ‘coat’ of weathering has been applied to the Benham’s factory today. This definitely is not finished, but it looks closer to finished than I expected after just one session:

4A2188C0-52BD-4551-BB1F-1720B06789D6.jpeg

0B9C96B5-83F2-411B-B367-E5F7123ABAFE.jpeg

Thinned matt black paint applied by hand and a very light spray coat of dark brown (‘sleeper grime’ according to the label). I’ll aim to have this building overall slightly more weathered/dirty than the adjacent warehouse on the grounds the factory building is older (as shown by the arched windows).

Western Thunderer
I notice it’s a while since I have said anything about the historic rolling stock I intend (eventually) to run on Rivermead Central. However, I was undertaking a small conservation job this afternoon to prevent a further loss of poorly adhering paint from the front buffer beam of a favourite tank engine. As it happens, the loco concerned will serve very well to illustrate developments in the post-WW1 Bassett-Lowke range.

In my post #92, I listed the 0 gauge tank engines offered by Bassett-Lowke in the 1910–14 period. After 1919, the range offered was very different.

The Peckett 0-4-0T, previously made by Carette, was reintroduced in gauges 0 and 1, but the post-WW1 models were made at Northampton using the Carette tooling. The absurdly proportioned 0 gauge version now had larger wheels and looked even worse.

Of the five scale-model, 0 gauge, tank engines made for Bassett-Lowke by Bing prior to WW1, three reappeared after 1919. The NER 0-4-4T was listed just briefly — one year only, I think. The Bing LNWR Precursor tank lasted longer — but not by much. After 1921, the production of 0 gauge Precursor tanks was switched to Northampton. The LBSCR 4-4-2T was the only one of the pre-WW1 range of Bing-made 0 gauge tank locos that stayed in the Bassett-Lowke catalogue for many years post-WW1.

When the production of 0 gauge Precursor tanks was transferred to Northampton, the opportunity was taken to introduce a freelance 0-4-0T that had many parts in common with the Precursor tank models. The 0-4-0Ts were produced in at least three liveries — I have seen LNWR, GNR and Midland examples — though the styling was pure LNWR. Distinctly toy-like, with fixed ‘express passenger’ headlamps, the 0-4-0T derived from the Precursor tank model was only catalogued for a couple of years, not lasting long enough to be produced in post-grouping liveries. On the plus side, unlike the 0 gauge Peckett tank, at least the 0-4-0Ts made using Precursor tank parts fit within the scale loading gauge. They weren’t realistic, but nor were they absurdities in the way the Peckett was.

Another new addition to the post-WW1 Bassett-Lowke range of 0 gauge tank engines was a freelance 4-4-0T manufactured by Bing. Again the styling was pure LNWR, with many parts derived from Bing’s 0 gauge Precursor tank models — and again a range of liveries was offered. The pre-grouping liveries listed in catalogues included LNWR, GNR, NBR, Caledonian and Midland. After 1923, these 4-4-0Ts were produced in the passenger liveries of the four principal railway companies. Compared with the pre-WW1 range of accurate scale models, these freelance offerings were a definite step backwards. Not in quality — the models still had Bing’s excellent motors, well-constructed bodywork and superb paint finish — they just weren’t representations of particular real locomotives, unlike the models Bing had made for Bassett-Lowke ten years earlier.

The remaining new 0 gauge tank locomotive added to the post-WW1 Bassett-Lowke range was another 0-4-0, also made by Bing. This was the famous ‘112 tank’ which had been made in gauges 1 and 2 (but not 0) prior to WW1. It is often claimed that the 112 was based on an LSWR prototype, but I am not aware of this being stated by Bassett-Lowke. Certainly the model was not offered in LSWR livery — though other liveries that were listed in catalogues included LNWR, GWR, GNR, Midland and Caledonian, and later LMS, LNER and Southern. Only the LNER and Southern versions carry the company initials/name. All the others are merely numbered ‘112’ on the side tanks. In addition to the pre-grouping liveries listed in catalogues, I am aware of 112s in black lined out with double red lines (? possibly to represent NER goods livery) and one in NER passenger green. Whether or not the design for the 112 was derived from a real locomotive class, it was a freelance model in the liveries offered. But unlike the freelance models described above, there is nothing LNWR in the appearance of a 112 tank.

Which brings me to my 112 in Caledonian livery:

5EFC05CE-198B-42C8-B030-DC04D3C129B7.jpeg

4630FD2E-220C-4D27-851F-EC586CB22445.jpeg

B4F8A49E-79DA-41FB-8843-3CF295E9A0E5.jpeg

This locomotive was built in 1921 or 1922. Bing didn’t get the CR livery quite right — the cylinders should not be blue. Nevertheless, I feel CR livery sits well on 112 tanks, helped no doubt by the smoke-box wing-plates. To accommodate the motor, the boiler is pitched much higher in the 0 gauge models than in the larger sizes. The wheels are also proportionately larger on the 0 gauge models. Objectively, I have to admit the gauge 1 and 2 versions of the 112 are better models — but I love the 0 gauge ones.

The above model, of course, is clockwork. Electric versions (DC and AC) and live steam models were also available in all three gauges made. In Gauge 1, in the 1930s, 112s were offered with outside Walschaerts valve gear (using the valve gear parts from the 0 gauge Royal Scot model). In all, including pre-WW1 models in gauges 1 and 2 and post-WW1 models in gauges 0 and 1, there must have been close to a hundred different types of 112 tank produced — an astonishing total.