Rivermead Central

Western Thunderer
The second sleeper-built buffer stop is ready for the layout.

The insert is made, as near as dammit identical to the first one (which was the idea):

22E18330-0EA3-4C0F-B4CF-94A3BC5BFB10.jpeg

The buffer stop has been cleaned and the insert test fitted:

97C92101-727F-49EA-A30B-85D3B9BC94E1.jpeg

All is well, so ready to use.

I have made a couple more of the central support blocks, with the angled top surface, to make further inserts for more sleeper-built stops. I have more sleeper-built stops than I need but not enough rail built stops, so, unless more rail-built stops turn up, I will need to use at least three more of the sleeper-built type. Since I seem to have got the angle on the top of the central support just right, I thought it made sense to make more of these now ready for future construction.

Western Thunderer
My optimism that it would be easier to install the second sleeper-built buffer-stop proved misplaced. This one fought me all the way, but I won:

3CEAD96A-8AE2-46D9-8EF0-F61890F1B6CF.jpeg

45169820-DEA0-4628-AEEC-E85A1FD0A41F.jpeg

It turns out, the track panel at the end of this siding is very slightly wide to gauge, so my jig wasn’t tightly held between the rails. Hence, despite being slightly less of a stretch to reach, it was again very difficult to keep the buffer-stop in the correct position whilst tightening the fixing screws. Anyway, job done and I’m pleased with how it looks.

Note to self: Make sure the track plans for the rest of the layout do not require buffer stops to be installed so far back from the front of the base board.