4mm Monks: perhaps NOT a Classic Minories - for a grandchild.

jonte

Western Thunderer
…….and back together again it went quite easily:

531D8388-A35D-4B4F-A316-508324C640D6.jpeg

The pair of dowels can be seen protruding from the beam to the right, and the wooden plate that has since appeared to the upper left support will be for the lower half of the front (upper) catch when I get round to attaching it, and also one to the rear. But for now….

A quick test showed that the rail joints were as before; I’ll take that as a ‘success’.

Now back to tiling the roof.

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Slow progress.

The result of about a weeks’ work:

B25FA155-CFA7-4E2A-971F-87110DF5E3D1.jpeg

From the odd picture or two that I’ve seen of the Bertram style roof, the slates appear to be of the larger type, although ai prefer the narrower look. I tried representing this on the first couple of rows, but didn’t like the appearance, so reverted to the slimmer version.

In this next one, the guide paper beneath will need fixing down with some glued applied sparingly to the edge:

EC655692-AD9B-400C-B969-0E359685E239.jpeg

Talking of which, the worn areas of paint below the slates caused by remedial work to the ill fitting ceiling edge on this side, will need masking off and retouching, and the slightly raised edge of the graph paper guide to which the slates are attached, re-seated.

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
But a poor second to your splendid example of alliteration, Roger ;)

Still a long, long way to go.

Thanks, Roger :)

Jon

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I happened to visit Birkenhead Priory this rainy pm and saw this map, which made me think of you and revisit this thread. I know the project is likely defunct, but it’s still interesting.
By the way, I also aim to model that Wapping Goods scene a few pages back, such magnificent desolation if I may quote either Buzz or Neil.

so here’s the map before I forget…

9270F824-4B55-4D64-AE4D-5A6766A84CBC.jpeg094AB12C-2764-4F96-892F-C566CB3CE8F5.jpeg669B2ECB-9BEE-4871-85A6-BF573EB9052A.jpeg
Best
John S

jonte

Western Thunderer
I happened to visit Birkenhead Priory this rainy pm and saw this map, which made me think of you and revisit this thread. I know the project is likely defunct, but it’s still interesting.
By the way, I also aim to model that Wapping Goods scene a few pages back, such magnificent desolation if I may quote either Buzz or Neil.

so here’s the map before I forget…

View attachment 191173View attachment 191174View attachment 191175
Best
John S

Hiya, John

Many thanks for posting this; it was very kind of you to write and let me know :)

I sincerely hope you’ve thoroughly dried out by the time of writing ;)

Think I’ll pop over on the ferry with the baby some time soon and check it out for myself. Hard to think what the area must have been like when the Monks first founded the abbey, although I don’t think I’d have built it so close to a shipyard ;)

Hope nobody minds, but I’ve dug out some photos to show the layout of the yard at around the time those plans were drawn.

From this fabulous, well-thumbed, book:

IMG_1808.jpeg

It was used as a permanent way storage yard by this time, and access to the dock side for coal trains carrying fuel for the Mersey ferries:

IMG_1809.jpeg

And another:

IMG_1810.jpeg

Photos by K.Longbottom and J.A.Peden respectively.

It’s coincidental that you should bring this thread to the fore, John, as thoughts have recently turned to reconsidering the theme of this particular thread, as neither this nor my current project - GWR BLT - are really suitable for a children’s model railway, and for the life of me, I don’t know why even considered they would :rolleyes:

Due to recent events, modelling in general has all but stopped, although I’m partly through building several semaphores for the BLT which will continue. However, both this and Minories will take a back seat while I attempt something far more suitable in the form of a traditional continuous circuit, which will be far less detailed than before, as advised by my good friend and more experienced modeller Mr. Roger Pound, but far more suitable for maintaining a child’s interest.

To that end, John, I’ve begun stock piling some older Hornby locos which I’ll service, DCC chip and perhaps even re motor if required, although the track (Hornby train set stuff) will be purchased new to ensure the best running possible (derailed trains are enough to put off even the keenest of children - or me :().

To that end, I’ve been considering a couple of plans I’ve found on line, which I’ll extend to fit into a space of approx 12 or 13’ x 5’:

IMG_1802.jpegIMG_1794.jpeg

Both would be slightly amended, but currently, my preference is for the first with its four mainlines, a station being sited on the set of right hand curves as you look, only the entry and exit points to the station being modelled to save time, in effect, providing the same purpose as the ubiquitous tunnel on a conventional train set.

Although tempted to run ‘anything’ as tradition dictates, I’m restricting it to (London) southern rail - I’d prefer early pregrouping but models in a particular livery that takes my fancy are beyond my budget when factoring in the cost of track etc- so it’ll be late steam in BR days which is anywhere between ‘61 and ‘67 according to enquiries thus far, although with Hornby semaphores much in evidence, it won’t be strict practice by any means, so it’s probably not even worth posting up, John.

Anyway, thanks once again, John, and I’ll catch up once I start posting again.

Thanks once again, and I’ll leave you with some photos I found online of the kind of thing that interests me.

IMG_1787.pngIMG_1784.pngIMG_1800.pngIMG_1783.png

Best,

Jon

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
You and me have very similar tastes when it comes to this subject Jon! I have had a Widened Lines hankering on the back burner for several decades now!
good luck with the new layout, but i hope the others get a turn now and again too. My grandad started me with a 7x4 double tracked Hornby Dublo layout, some of which I still have, and it stuck with me!

cheers
john

jonte

Western Thunderer
You and me have very similar tastes when it comes to this subject Jon! I have had a Widened Lines hankering on the back burner for several decades now!
good luck with the new layout, but i hope the others get a turn now and again too. My grandad started me with a 7x4 double tracked Hornby Dublo layout, some of which I still have, and it stuck with me!

cheers
john
You mean like this, John, saved in the annals of my photo album from some random online search of whenever:

IMG_1844.jpeg

If you want one of those, I think you’ll need to opt for the kit building route, which in my case, doesn’t concern me too much, it’s just that the total cost of kit building is prohibitive here, bearing in mind the amount of stock required, added to which the time for painting/lining/transfers etc. makes it simply non-viable. The children would likely be my age by the time it’s completed :(

Like you it seems, I simply can’t resist the grime and the squeezing of the rail scene onto an area the size of a postage stamp, for which I believe there’s no cure ;)

And I’m still quite fond of that Wapping Dock scene you mentioned :)

Good ol’ Grandad, say I; I’ve a lot to live up to:thumbs:

Btw, I simply can’t help enjoying all those Dublo based videos on YouTube, which for me are inextricably linked with the steam age itself. Almost like watching history in the present, or something like that.

Thanks for your kind interest too, John.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
Yes like that, or these, that signal cabin nested into the wall….

Amen to all that, and your absence had been noted!

Bestest
John

View attachment 191455View attachment 191456

Ah, yes: Liverpool Central, High Level. If you turned your track through an arc of almost ninety degrees at the end of a platform like that, everybody would scream ‘trainset!’ As they say, John, there’s a prototype for everything :)

I like the example you’ve given in the second shot. I’ll bet that’s a great article.

And with talk of signal boxes in half relief, here’s another one on the line that led down to Wapping:

57C484B1-C968-421F-94B7-6F6FA0FA3BA8-228-000000043AE507EF.jpeg

I went so far as to purchase some etched brass windows from Churchward Models to build this. Needless to say, they’re still in the packet. Perhaps one day.

Jon