7mm Millicent Street

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
It was good ro meet Rippers at the Wensleydale Railway Model Railway show yesterday. He treated me to a sneak preview of the recent post.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
Thanks to some spare time this week the undertakers block has been completed and installed. Plus, the last structure (a corner news agents and chemists shop) that will make up the frontage trialled in place before it is completed.
20230512_131014.jpg
It's starting to reach the stage that it's looking something like a layout.
20230512_125613.jpg
20230512_125551.jpg
The left hand end if the layout is coming together now. Though there are still advertising holdings and the signal box to add before it can be completed.
20230512_125601.jpg
20230512_113108.jpg

Rippers

Western Thunderer
The Teddy Bear has escaped from Dairycoates? :) ;)
Good eye that man! The Paxman is one of a small number of Hull allocated locos currently being constructed and prepared for operation on the layout. The period we are depicting is 1967-68. Which covers the last few months of local steam operation right through to the allocation of the first blue liveried diesels. Plus of course it is also the period the Teddybears were at Dairycoates.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks to some spare time this week the undertakers block has been completed and installed. Plus, the last structure (a corner news agents and chemists shop) that will make up the frontage trialled in place before it is completed.
View attachment 186653
It's starting to reach the stage that it's looking something like a layout.
View attachment 186654
View attachment 186655
The left hand end if the layout is coming together now. Though there are still advertising holdings and the signal box to add before it can be completed.
View attachment 186658
View attachment 186657

Great work, inspirational realism IMO.

A question if I may... How is the layout going to be lit? If from behind the front fascia I would suggest moving the fascia forward by 3" or so. As is I think you'll find the front of the buildings will be in shadow.

An example of how I've done this is below:
431116940_SWAG22-Pensarrett(23)(Copy).JPG.4560601ba8d197ed4d773371f43c2136 (1).jpeg

Rippers

Western Thunderer
Great work, inspirational realism IMO.

A question if I may... How is the layout going to be lit? If from behind the front fascia I would suggest moving the fascia forward by 3" or so. As is I think you'll find the front of the buildings will be in shadow.

An example of how I've done this is below:
Cheers. We are trying our best to capture the look of the area and time.

As for the lighting the layout isn't going to be over brightly illuminated. It is after all 'Always Dull in Hull!' The facia actually stands a couple of inches proud of the frontage. Making it around 6 inches forward of the building frontages.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
A couple of shots showing progress on the pair of shops at the end of the street.
View attachment 188065
The model takes inspiration period photos of several local prototypes.
View attachment 188066
Still as way to go. Including a lot of window details to scratch build. But it's looking the part.
A couple of shots showing progress on the pair of shops at the end of the street.
View attachment 188065
The model takes inspiration period photos of several local prototypes.
View attachment 188066
Still as way to go. Including a lot of window details to scratch build. But it's looking the part.

Just looks like an empty shop awaiting it's next tenant! The previous occupants left a few bits of unwanted stock in the window but they took the curtains from upstairs.

I remember shops just like that when I was a lad, superb work.

Ian.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
Just looks like an empty shop awaiting it's next tenant! The previous occupants left a few bits of unwanted stock in the window but they took the curtains from upstairs.

I remember shops just like that when I was a lad, superb work.

Ian.
It does look like that at present you are right.

Outside of a handful of 1/48th Dolls House accesories there wasn't a lot available off the shelf that suited what I needed. So its taking a bit of time and thought to create the likes of a 7mm pedal car, pond yacht, bow & arrow, 20 assorted boxes of period chocolates and selection of Triang Big Big trains!