7mm Millicent Street

Rippers

Western Thunderer
IMG_20220304_130219.jpg

With the finish of the buildings for this area more or less complete we are now able to see if what we have created (mainly on several scattered workbenches many miles apart) gives us the sort of look we initially had in mind when it is brought together.

Purple-haze

Western Thunderer
At last, something to lighten the gloom of the past months! This is my favourite .layout, it just ticks all the boxes for me. Regards Rog

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
I have not been following "Millicent Street" for some time but have just visited it again...........wow it is even better than I recall.
I'll have to find where I had previously followed to and then read up on all the intervening progress.

Fabulous modelling Rippers.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
IMG_20220407_220641.jpg

With the addition of the now finished canopy over the factory loading bay the structures of this end of the layout are now complete (one day they may even be glued in place!) and we can finally see if they give us the back street industrial look we wanted.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
IMG_20220708_094019.jpg
A rare chance for a few of us who have been working remotely to meet up to confer on and exchange ongoing projects (which is the nearest we get to actually working on the layout these days). Also had the advantage of us being able to see how the now (almost) completed factory building intended to form the backdrop to the left hand end of the layout will look like in place.
IMG_20220707_220619.jpg
Still, a way to go though.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
With the massive monolyth of a 1950s factory now finally vacated my workbench things can retun to normal and I can now return to finishing some of the older and smaller structures. IMG_20220709_224121.jpg
Including adding and then aging some signage.
IMG_20220709_224154.jpg
Not finished yet but starting to look the part.
IMG_20220709_162918.jpg

Rippers

Western Thunderer
Fascinating oval toplight (?) detail above the doors - still to be seen in 'ull?

Yes, they can still be seen in a few places (old dock offices and the like). Hull has quite an array of window styles in its older architecture (including England's smallest window which is located in the Land of Green Ginger!)
P9130192.JPG
Though inspired by a long gone local structure we had a photo of. This building actually owes a lot to the very similar and still extant 'Tonks' building in Scarborough.
x3.jpg
The model itself uses a custom etch one of our group created for both the window and its decorative surround.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
A couple of overhead shots showing how the layout is changing now the paint factory buildings which form the backdrop to the entire scene have been finally fixed and bedded into place.
MSOH 2.jpg
What we were aiming for from the start with this layout was to create a model of a local (to us) urban scene with the railway in it rather than a model of the railway in an urban scene.
MSOH 1.jpg
Still lots to be completed (not to mention that the layout is still bare baseboards at the left hand end).

Last edited: