Grahame's N/2mm bashes

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Just a quick brief update to explain my lack of posts recently. This year I seem to have lost my modelling mojo.

However I'm making efforts to get back in the swing. I'm having a garden room built (basically an expensive garden shed) in which to build my long time planned layout. I also went to the recent EM exhibition at Bracknell, and will be undertaking demonstrating N gauge wagon kit assembly at the DEMU ShowCase exhibition in Sutton Coldfield in June.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
The foundation/base was built last week:

DSC04602red.jpg

Today the layout shed installation was begun. Here's the start and end of the first day. There's still more to be done; window to be installed (to the right of the door), guttering added, etc. And the electrics installation is scheduled for about ten days time.

DSC04652red.jpg

DSC04654red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
The building work for the layout shed is effectively complete and I'm now waiting on the electricians to install the electrics. They are due in around ten days time.

DSC04655red.jpg

The inside is very plain so not a lot to see (plus it's difficult to photograph space). The inside floor area is a fraction under 11ft 6" (3.5m) by a bit over 8ft (2.5m) which is probably not to bad for N/2mm scale - double that to 23ft by 16ft for an OO/4mm equivalent layout space. But it's 'obsons as I couldn't have had it any larger anyway.

DSC04668reds.jpg

DSC04670reds.jpg

Now down to some layout planning and baseboard building. And arrange to have a proper pathway down the side and patio laid. Then the garden can be tidied up.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Grahame
Your new Layout shed looks very neat, you will need a path way to the door next to keep it clean inside.
Im curious what are the walls of the room made from?
David.

D6356

Western Thunderer
Electrically are you going to fit a kill switch so no chance of issues with say a soldering iron left on?
A great looking shed was it much hassle to organise the build?
Robert

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Electrically are you going to fit a kill switch so no chance of issues with say a soldering iron left on?
I totally agree. Except for the master light and socket all the lights in my garage and tool sockets are fed from a 13A socket, switch off and everything dead. I have also used a similar arrangement in the railway room (3rd bedroom) again so that everything except the room socket & room light is dead.
Regards
Allen

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hmmmm...I remember leaving an old soldering iron on many moons ago in my attic...well I didn't really remember as I would have switched it off. But no harm came as the iron was very old and I guess the element burnt out and broke the circuit. Luckily I had left it clear of anything flammable otherwise a worse scenario would have result.
Yes I do agree with a master switch but I guess Grahame has it planned.
Very nice railway room...look forward to seeing what evolves in this space.
Cheers Julian

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
The shed will have it's own separate power supply via a new additional consumer unit (presumably with MCB) installed next to the main meter/fuse box board. There will also be a sub CU in the shed so I'll be able to turn all the power off either in the shed and also from the house. I've electricians coming to install and connect it.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I spent the weekend in Sutton Coldfield demonstrating N gauge wagon kit building at DEMU's ShowCase exhibition (and visiting the pubs):

DSC04729crred.jpg

Then yesterday the electricians arrived to connect and wire up my new shed. Lights, sockets (one with a USB) and consumer unit installed in shed (and an oil filled radiator - not that it is needed in this weather) and connected to house with a new consumer unit with MCBs. I'm now ready to go with layout building.

DSC04743red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
The timber for the baseboard framework has been delivered. I've carried it through the house and in to the new shed on my own. Nine bundles of 8ft lengths and two 8x4 sheets. I must be getting old as it's knackered me in this humid heat. And I'll need more wood particularly to build a small workbench under the window and for the side/end return loops.

DSC04778red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Having got the layout garden shed/room erected in my small garden and now that a new patio and path has been laid and the garden tidied up a bit (although not completely) I can move on to the next phase to realise my long term dream of building a magnum opus layout based around London Bridge Station.

The planned period that the model will represent is the late 70s to early 90s. Although this is probably a little excessively optimistic time frame, it conveniently falls between the two major rebuilds that the real station has undergone in the last century. Firstly, the infamous 1972 to 1978 rebuild under British Rail, and then the 21st century redevelopment in 2012 to 2018 under Railtrack.

DSC04905red.jpg

With the timber, for the construction of the baseboard frame and support, also delivered (see above post), I've started on planning how that will be assembled. And hope to get cracking on sawing, gluing and screwing.

DSC04904red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I've not yet started the baseboard construction (sawing, gluing and screwing) as I've been spending some time tidying up my small patch of lawn - adding topsoil to level it and preparing to seed the edges up to the new patio and path. And, of course, the women's football world cup games are currently on TV with the men's rugby world cup to follow. But hopefully I'll get the grass seed down tomorrow and can then start marking up the timber for cutting.

In the meantime here's an old pic of the buildings that will be in the back left corner of the layout that have been temporarily posed. From left to right is Southwark cathedral, Bank Chambers, Bridge House, Hibernia Wharf, No1 London Bridge with Colechurch House in front.

DSC_7105gired.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I've been working on the main scenic baseboard framework support. The top surface is yet to be glued and pinned down. The structure is free standing (not attached to the walls) and is quite firm and rigid although some planned cross bracing and low level longitudinal struts are yet to be added. But I'm calling it a day as it's far too hot and sunny to be working outside (cutting and assembly has mostly been done in the garden).

The baseboard height is 43" and then the viaduct on which the trains will run will be a further 2-3 inches above that. The end/side boards, which will have the return curves are non-scenic and will be at the viaduct height and hopefully include stock storage. The two structures on the floor under the baseboard left end are the cores for the two large skyscraper buildings - fortunately they do fit in under the ceiling/lights.

DSC04934red.jpg

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Looks a very comfortable room to have as a railway room Grahame. Making nice progress.
A very nice chair just poking it's back it the lower part of photo....ideal for some further creations from your bench....
Julian