Flaxfield- A bucolic 1950s Suffolk backwater

AJC

Western Thunderer
Morning Tim,

If you have the links, I'm sure it's fine to plonk them on here so everyone can access them. It's what I'd do upon receipt anyway. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Rob.

I assume it's this one - the films turn up on all the social media channels quite often (very interesting indeed): Fenland on Film

Adam

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
In other news, the fiddly yard board is now done all bar the finish. I just need to fine tune the board to board joint. There will then be a pause as we have a trip away planned.

Overall, this little pre-Flaxfield test board/build thing is having the desired effect, in that it already has me trying new things. Crucially, I have no feeling that I should be progressing this any quicker than what I am. Again, this was the aim going forward with any new builds so all very good so far.

Rob

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Rob,

Won't be seeing you at Wells, I am visiting my sister in Taunton on Saturday morning, so I will continue on to the show from there.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

I'm not 100% what day I'm going along yet. Originally looking like Saturday but possibly Sunday depending on how much I get done between now and Saturday.

Rob

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Overall, this little pre-Flaxfield test board/build thing is having the desired effect, in that it already has me trying new things. Crucially, I have no feeling that I should be progressing this any quicker than what I am. Again, this was the aim going forward with any new builds so all very good so far.

Just take it at your own pace when the mood suits - sometimes it goes in fits and starts with long lulls thinking time in between :).

There's nothing worse than trying to force the pace when not in the mood. When I hit a wall I just tinker with something else and as a result I have a myriad of HO and O scale models at various stages of completion to which return to in order to maintain interest.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
He looks a happy chap. Obviously far too young to understand who it might be.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand.......

The British Finescale point so kindly sent by Tim has been given a good test this afternoon. Basically, beautifully assembled by Tim and everything, including the irritating Dapol Terrier ran through it with no issues at all. So that confirmed the suitability of the A5 point.

Substitute for the medium radius Peco equivalent and we had a different story. Same issue with the Terrier as before, despite the feed to the frog being temporarily rigged up. The Terrier was removed and though seemingly clean with little use, it was once again checked, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled. A bit more side play was the result and it was tried again. Much better this time and it actually went through the frog without issue. However, the Rapido wagons were still hoppity jumpy through the curved section. A few were tried and all were the same. The back to backs are way out and a rough measure suggested high 14s, 14.7...ish ( I said it was a rough measurement) but certainly too wide for what is a narrow curved section through the point. Wagons from Bachmann, Oxford, Hornby and a couple of lovely 3D printed jobs ( Gibson Wheels ) all had no issues at all

The issue now seems to lean towards inconsistent wheel standards so the next logical step is to replace the wheels in the Rapido wagons to confirm that side of it. Something Gibson on a 26mm axle seems good. I also need to try some long wheelbase stuff and in particular, ( thinking ahead to Flaxfield itself ) some six wheel Hattons coaches.

Oh and as an update, I've had a very nice reply from Peco who are checking their end and will send a further update regarding their investigations once that's done.

So much to be going on with but with prep underway for getting away, things may have wait for a bit.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Oh and in another twist ( ish ) to broaden Blackwater Pier's appeal, as well as pre WW1 GER guise with an alternate pre WW1 SE&CR/1920s Implausible Light Railway we may add 1930s Southern to the mix. All made possible by simply swapping the station building.

May as well get max fun value out of this little project and finally make use of the various boxes of locos and stock cluttering the place up.

Rob

PS....anyone have a couple of Hattons 4 wheel Southern green coaches that they'd be willing to part with ?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Bit more done this evening as per rather poor photo but you'll hopefully get the idea as Blackwater Pier continues it's molluscesque progress.

Trackbed has been cut to check fit/ visual appeal etc. Water course on the left, reeds, long grass sloping down to water surface etc, etc....wooden platform with building on concrete plinth ( as per Selsey Tramway amongst other Col Stephens lines ), grass, flowers etc on right. Siding used by local fishermen with occasional coal wagon for the hell of it. DAS will be used for contours and the like but essentially flat...apart from the occasional wonky ( by design ) telegraph pole.

1000005409.jpg

Certainly nothing fancy or well thought out and in reality the whole area would probably be washed away in due course due to erosion and therefore very Improbable but that's the fun of this.

Rob

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Bit more done this evening as per rather poor photo but you'll hopefully get the idea as Blackwater Pier continues it's molluscesque progress.

As long as it's not Kafkaesque and turn into a beetle....;)

Trackbed has been cut to check fit/ visual appeal etc. Water course on the left, reeds, long grass sloping down to water surface etc, etc....

Rather than a freshwater course with reeds, etc, etc, why not try out a saltmarsh with the tide out - that will certainly add to the bleakness.

This is from Walking the Essex Coast 3 Walking the Essex coast 3. On the website you can click and enlarge the image.

essex-coast-3-002.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Dave,

Not particularly inspiring though is it ?. Pretty much the same as the river not 250 yards from my front door which is tidal.

My inspiration for Blackwater is coming from this image of Tollesbury Pier.

Tollesbury_Pier_scan0220.jpg

So when I get to the scenery ( and some way off it is ) , I'll literally have a field day with the static grass.

Rob

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Morning Dave,

Not particularly inspiring though is it ?. Pretty much the same as the river not 250 yards from my front door which is tidal.

My inspiration for Blackwater is coming from this image of Tollesbury Pier.

View attachment 220765

So when I get to the scenery ( and some way off it is ) , I'll literally have a field day with the static grass.

Rob
Rob,
That wet bit was tidal back then so it could be modelled as mud, although you would need to dig a much deeper hole in your baseboards.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Rob look for the O gauge layout Tollesbury Quay.

Morning Alan,

I have that very MRJ on my modelling desk as I type this. Beautiful model and very well done it is with a lovely colour pallette. Good approach to the sky/backscene conundrum as well.

But I think I'll avoid any use of glycerin and as per EWE, stick (!) to pva and yacht varnish for my waterworks!!

Rob.

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Water will now be either side. I said it was highly Improbable.
If the track bed were raised just a tad more on a low embankment, you could connect the two watery areas with a small bridge over.

I like those SER bolsters - may I ask whence they came?

Cheers,
Mark