Flaxfield- A bucolic 1950s Suffolk backwater

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Martin Wynne of Templot fame is (quite rightly) always banging on about the importance of 'Check Gauge". This is is equal to the back-to-back dimension plus the effective flange thickness (of one wheel). Locos and rolling stock won't consistently and safely pass through crossings without adherence to a standard dimension.

Deviate from a standard value at your peril!
Problem is, Dave, you don't know what the wheels of new RTR releases are going to be like. My Accurascale Manor actually derailed each time it passed over any 16.2mm track, not just the crossing area!

daifly

Western Thunderer
Problem is, Dave, you don't know what the wheels of new RTR releases are going to be like. My Accurascale Manor actually derailed each time it passed over any 16.2mm track, not just the crossing area!
That suggests that it's wheel/gauge spec is very far from where it should be!

Dave

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I stumbled across Q-board in the reduced section at B&Q and got a roughly 1200 x 600 x 30mm board for a fiver.

It is pink foam innards with some sort of glass fibre matting on the outside, hoping to use it for the next layout whenever that is....

Feels very light and strong.
Tony
Typical - my closest B&Q doesn't stock it!! Others a bit further away do, of course... :rolleyes: :confused: :(