Finescale - of a sort?!

simond

Western Thunderer
I can see merits in both suggestions, though I’m at a loss to understand why not-very-hot steam should be any more deleterious to the bourdon tube than very-hot water.

I wonder if ensuring that the tube was full of water made it a bit heavier, thus reduced any tendency to vibrate? It would still vibrate, I guess, just more slowly, which might be preferable.

however I found this, which reiterates the point about temperature

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
That's a relief Simon, I was rather afraid that I might have been talking nonsense - as well as being frustrated by not being able to immediately lay my hands on any historic "proof"!

Pete.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Entirely right! The water in the loop acts as a 'buffer' protecting the gauge from the temperature and latent heat of the live steam!
One sometimes gets hammering from the injectors, but I've never notice it affecting the pressure gauge over-much.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I do hope you are not embarrassed by all this Dog Star... but I fear you are not the only one that has, nor will be misled by some "old boys", who we would all much prefer to show respect, telling tall tales!!

Pete.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid to say Dogstar is also correct, it is for reducing the risk of fracturing at the gland, generally caused by expansion and contraction but more often through vibration; as a secondary bonus it leaves spare pipe to remake the joint if it did crack.

Often the runs are long, so rather than having to remove a whole section for a fracture ½" from the gland you could simply shorten the loop, swage the end and re-terminate very quickly. I never worked on steam, just industrial gas water boilers so we never had steam or condensation to worry about, just very hot pressurized water.

A similar principle is (should be) applied to wiring electrical panels, well that was what I was always taught, you always ran the cables the long way around the cubicle before terminating in the fuse/breaker. Most panel failures are due to heat at the fuse/breaker and subsequent cable failure, having slack in the panel allowed for a quick chop back and repair, saved my butt on many occasions. Same for any sensors at remote locations, always leave a loop or two of cable before it enters the device.