Farrington Road

mfsyoung

What a miserable response I got on ebay. Still, I suppose everyone wants something for nothing! I won't sell this for under £1000!

mfsyoung

In spite of some adverse remarks this layout is now sold and has, I think, gone to someone who appreciates it.

Thank you all for your support that I had while building it, I enjoyed the experience.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Michael,

I am considering the purchase of pre-cut baseboards for the next project and I am keen to learn from others's experiences in the matter. If you are willing to share, please consider posting information on:-

* what was needed other than the core baseboards, for example:- legs, joining items;

* what you needed to specify in regard to your requirements for the baseboards, for example:- end profiles;

* what work you needed to do to the "as bought" items to make the result meet your needs for starting the layout.

thank you, Graham

mfsyoung

Michael,

I am considering the purchase of pre-cut baseboards for the next project and I am keen to learn from others's experiences in the matter. If you are willing to share, please consider posting information on:-

* what was needed other than the core baseboards, for example:- legs, joining items;

* what you needed to specify in regard to your requirements for the baseboards, for example:- end profiles;

* what work you needed to do to the "as bought" items to make the result meet your needs for starting the layout.

thank you, Graham

Graham,

I initially bought a baseboard kit from Model Railway Solutions Advanced Ply Range and was disappointed as the ply had voids visible on the edges, especially the legs. So I then changed to the premium birch range which has suited my needs very well but was more expensive.

You need two legs for the first baseboard but only one for each additional. Other items are alignment dowels, joining bolts and adjustable feet for levelling the legs.

If I was to do this again then I would probably use marine ply (which I have now found to be cheaper than birch) for the frame and legs and exterior ply for the top (where voids are not so important). I would ask the supplier to cut the ply into 100mm strips (1200mm long)to make up the baseboard frames myself and then cover with exterior ply top. It depends how confident your are in your woodworking skills.

As a matter of interest, in the past I used exterior ply to make boats with but not now as the quality is not the same!

Attachments

• 36x18_Baseboard.pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 17

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
In spite of some adverse remarks this layout is now sold and has, I think, gone to someone who appreciates it.

Thank you all for your support that I had while building it, I enjoyed the experience.
I'm glad it's sold and hopefully gone to a good home. Though it wasn't what I was looking for in a track layout, the quality of the build meant if it had gotten any cheaper I wouldn't have been able to resist! :thumbs:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
That's great news!

I'm sure you won't say who bought it, but it would be great to know which region it was sold to..

Will the buyer be posting updates on the future of the layout on here?

JB.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The last day I spent track lifting was some 40 years ago, when I drove a few volunteers to Harlaxton ironstone quarries to dismantle a couple of points for re-use in North Norfolk. I do remember being pretty tired afterwards, with aching muscles, but not as much as after today's track lifting marathon - and this was only S7!

At least the oxygen bottle didn't roll out of the back of the van on the way home - unlike last time :eek:

Thanks Michael, especially for all the unexpected extras, and I'm sure WTers will be fascinated to read how you cover those vacant baseboards! :thumbs:

P.S. how appropriate, then, that some of the Farrington Road PW is destined to be laid in an S7 ironstone quarry………..

mfsyoung

The last day I spent track lifting was some 40 years ago, when I drove a few volunteers to Harlaxton ironstone quarries to dismantle a couple of points for re-use in North Norfolk. I do remember being pretty tired afterwards, with aching muscles, but not as much as after today's track lifting marathon - and this was only S7!

At least the oxygen bottle didn't roll out of the back of the van on the way home - unlike last time :eek:

Thanks Michael, especially for all the unexpected extras, and I'm sure WTers will be fascinated to read how you cover those vacant baseboards! :thumbs:

P.S. how appropriate, then, that some of the Farrington Road PW is destined to be laid in an S7 ironstone quarry………..

I see you posted this at nearly midnight! surprised you were still awake. Still, it was a good job I stuck the cork with Copydex and not something more solid. I am still trying to get the Copydex up from the baseboards, it certainly stays stuck!