Prototype Duff photos

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I have a number of slides taken during the 1990s which are atmospheric rather than quality photographs. Some of them show class 47 locos at work in London during the early-mid 1990s which may be of interest to someone -
47 intercity Balham.jpg
I think this is 47 821 Royal Worcester in Intercity livery. Taken from the back window of the house in Fernlea Road, Balham, probably late 1992 or 1993.

47 postal ClaphamJ.jpg
A postal 47 on a cold winters day at Clapham Junction.

47708 Clapham.jpg
47 708 in NSE livery on a cold but brighter day at Clapham Junction.

These two are just shots taken as I happened to have a camera handy while waiting for trains. I probably have others of 47s somewhere amongst the folders of slides as well as random other things like Thumpers, certain classes of EMU, the Gatwick Express, class 31s etc but all of similar lack of quality.

If anyone would like to add photos of class 47 locos in operation feel free to do so - image quality can be as low res as you like. Or if you can add any information about the locos please do.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Here's one of my scanned colour negatives taken a decade earlier in the 1983-4 period.

A named 47 (I have no idea of the number) near Stonehaven whilst I was a student mapping (allegedly) the Aberdeenshire geology. Interesting to note the telegraph poles were still extant albeit without the wires.
IMG_0046.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I found another poor quality 90s photo of a postal 47 while looking through the slides for other things.
47 relay.jpg
Only just got the camera out in time while walking with friends. Not a bad picture of a relay box.

Then a minute or so later (sorry not a 47) -
HST1.jpg
HST2.jpg
Coming and going. Shouldn't be too hard to work out where we were, especially for some of the northern members. The weather was 'atmospheric' and you can see how low the clouds were. Not good image quality but there is something about the second HST shot which has had me thinking about how to recreate the atmosphere of the scene.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I can't find it now, but here (or there) the last year or so there was a link to videos of an amazing 7mm(?) layout featuring a French/German electric loco depot - the layout was encased in glass / mirrors to allow creation of cloud / fog and operated under very 'atmospheric' conditions.

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
And now for Something Completely Different:

D1506.jpg

Taken at Doncaster about 1963/64 - note original roof vents.

(Sorry about the photo quality.....)

Tim

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Here's one of my scanned colour negatives taken a decade earlier in the 1983-4 period.

A named 47 (I have no idea of the number) near Stonehaven whilst I was a student mapping (allegedly) the Aberdeenshire geology. Interesting to note the telegraph poles were still extant albeit without the wires.
View attachment 56855

A 47/7 no less Dave, but what one I've no idea.....

Does this seem familiar (Highland Boundary Fault a short distance away to the right)
Bridge-343-Stonehaven-(Aberdeen-Road-&-Golf-Course)-Low.jpg

Hasn't changed much but the telegraph poles have gone - replaced on the other side of the line by a mast.
Stoney1.PNG

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
It does look familiar Bob, despite the decades. I see the bit of drystone wall is still there. Many thanks for tracking this down.

Believe it or not it was that large lump of concrete that gave the game away - I see it most days! (quite sad really) Sorry for the Duff free interlude.

auld_boot

Western Thunderer
I have to admit I'm still slightly baffled by the subject line of this thread, is it intended for 'Duff photos' or duff Duff photos' or just any general duff photo.
Anyhow my confusion gives me the excuse to post up this, possibly my first ever train photo. It's an unknown Western on the evening parcels heading for Bristol on the Somerset levels just north of Puriton, taken on 126 film with a plastic camera.
Western_at_Puriton.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I have to admit I'm still slightly baffled by the subject line of this thread, is it intended for 'Duff photos' or duff Duff photos' or just any general duff photo.
Anyhow my confusion gives me the excuse to post up this, possibly my first ever train photo. It's an unknown Western on the evening parcels heading for Bristol on the Somerset levels just north of Puriton, taken on 126 film with a plastic camera.
View attachment 60408
Sorry, the thread title was intentionally ambiguous. I just happened to find a few of my not very good 47 class photos and couldn't resist the pun. One of the advantages of a forum like WT is that interesting photos can be shared without them needing to be of publication quality. Even if they are not great photos I think it is better for them to be seen than sit in a box or be thrown away. If nothing else the photos are a record of how the locos looked in service and may help someone weathering models. As demonstrated by posting HST photos, I am happy for a free interpretation of the thread title. Any contributions welcome.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Unlikely I know, but there might conceivably be others out there like me who are / were not aware of the nickname of the 47s :oops: