Prototype Duff photos

auld_boot

Western Thunderer
47804 in the fog on 12th Sept 1989 just past Cogload junction, as if taking photos on a foggy day wasn't bad enough (for my skills) my old Pentax ESII developed some weird light leak resulting in a stripy sky. The flash at the end of the train is a colour light signal.

47804_Fog_Coglad.jpg

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Here's a truly duffed shot.... Never but never open the rear of camera before the film has been fully wound back in....
370_005.jpg
Shields ETD circa 83/84' and one of the few shots from the film that survived.:'(

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Bob,
And for all those reasons, a fantastic artefact. I remember seeing the APT when I was a nipper and always enjoy seeing original material relating to it.

Steph

DougT

Western Thunderer
Bob,
And for all those reasons, a fantastic artefact. I remember seeing the APT when I was a nipper and always enjoy seeing original material relating to it.

Steph

The 7 year old me was very taken by the sight of an APT rushing through Berkhampstead whilst I was visiting the castle with my mum. It had quite an effect!

DougT

Western Thunderer
Doug,
I'd have been about the same age as you when I saw it. Apsley was our local station.

Steph
I have a really clear memory of it looking like it was falling over as it went through the curves; it was pure chance that we saw it but I can't think of many better places to have seen the tilt in action. It did somewhat distract from the purpose of going to the castle which was because I had a holiday topic to do on castles from school!

DougT

Western Thunderer
I've found another, this is possibly 47500 Great Western on the moors between Bridgwater and Highbridge.

View attachment 60489
At the risk of becoming (!) something of a pedant and/or generally irritating know it all...

...that looks to me like was 47484 IKB - it's the flush front that gives it away.

That said I think that's a really evocative photo, you can sense the warmth of the day slowly fading in the stillness of the evening.

auld_boot

Western Thunderer
...that looks to me like was 47484 IKB - it's the flush front that gives it away.
You're spot on there, thanks, IKB it is I would never have noticed that. I'm not sure who the loser is though, me for getting it totally wrong or you for knowing the Duff information.

That said I think that's a really evocative photo, you can sense the warmth of the day slowly fading in the stillness of the evening.
I didn't quite pull off what I was trying to do though, the loco is blurred and I think it would have been better if I was a few feet taller at the time.

DougT

Western Thunderer
I didn't quite pull off what I was trying to do though, the loco is blurred and I think it would have been better if I was a few feet taller at the time.

I don't know, maybe not, but I think too much can be made of technically perfect photos with spot on exposure and composition. My favourite photos are the ones that make you feel something and this works for me; I can imagine being there.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Just a few from my collection, I've hundreds of photos but sadly I doubt many will get scanned, just not enough time in the day and I need a better scanner to do them justice.

First up a 312 drag at Hitchin one Sunday afternoon.
47 4xx_Hitchin.jpg

Next a couple of shots at Baylham between Ipswich and Needham Market, this was the last few months of diesel haulage and I recall both of these were going like the clappers trying to get close to the proposed electric schedules.

47 xxx_Baylham_01.jpg

47 xxx_Baylham_02.jpg

This section had just been passed for 100 running and I reckon these were running pretty close to that. At that time I was commuting to college in London and has some really fast runs.

Finally a Freightliner crests the small rise at Nacton Heath just outside Ipswich.
47 xxx_Nacton Heath.jpg

All taken back in the day when the footplate still had two men on it :thumbs:

MD

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I don't know, maybe not, but I think too much can be made of technically perfect photos with spot on exposure and composition. My favourite photos are the ones that make you feel something and this works for me; I can imagine being there.

I agree, it's the earlier photographs which have a charm of their own and they take me back to the days when I had my first camera and taking photographs of moving trains. Expecting the camera to perform better than it really was and the photographs to come out perfectly. But alas not.

Some more of my Duff photographs - all taken around 1981-1984.

Aylesbury
Aylesbury 12.jpg

Crewe Crewe 1981.jpg

Derby Derby 09.jpg

Derby Derby 14.jpg

Folkestone Harbour Folkestone Harbour.jpg

Stafford
Stafford 02.jpg

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

The pic at Derby.

Different to see the duff heading north on platform 3 !, & where would the Rat be going ?. That bridge has gone now. I was there when the DMU collided with the bridge. Spent many years at the end of platform 4 (Next to the Rat) in my youth.

Steve :cool:

DougT

Western Thunderer
Couldn't be resist any longer...

Just a few snaps taken in early May 2002 when I had a few days down in the South West trying to capture a few of the last loco-hauled workings

47818 topping out at Hemerdon with 1M40 Plymouth to Liverpool
IMG_1585.JPG

47826 at Par working 1V50 Glasgow Central to Penzance - oh to have be able to do that trip again as a loco hauled through service!
IMG_1586.JPG

47818 heading up country with 1M56 Penzance to Manchester at Restormel
IMG_1587.JPG

47826 (can't recall where ;)) working 1V35 Derby to Plymouth
IMG_1588.JPG

47826 (again) at Truro with 1V50 Glasgow Central to Penzance

IMG_1589.JPG

47832 and 67023 at Penzance. The 47 on 1A45 to Paddington and the 67 ECS to Long Rock
IMG_1590.JPG

47846 THOR (A proper western duff...) at Marizion with the down sleeper and motorail - 1C99
IMG_1591.JPG

And lastly some proper western traction. 50031 at Starcross with a Crewe to Penzance charter. Shocking light and a shocking scan but boy does that look good...:thumbs:
IMG_1584.JPG

Happy days.