Bank Top Yard (Industrial)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Chris,

I'm sure you have allready come across this but Gordon also has a flicker site

You could loose yourself for hours on it....
Thanks George. Yes, I've browsed through Gordon's Flickr site before. There's some amazing images on it and very useful for modelling purposes.

I also enjoy delving into the video clips of Jonathan Guilbert from the days of Astley Green Colliery in South Lancashire. Perfect for those Austerity saddle tank fixes.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
I've spent some time recently on the overbridge which seperates the main scenic section of the layout with the fiddle plank. Last week it was painted and weathered and over the weekend I placed it into position, built the enbankment around it and completed the static grass process. Like the rest of the layout this has been given a late summer/early autumn look with scorched and dead grass mingling with bushes and foliage clumps.

This corner of the layout was always left and I began to wonder what it would eventually morph into. A bridge? But what kind? Brick completely? A girder involved? Does it even need a bridge? Well, yes. I do like railway architecture and bridges especially. I particularly have a fondness for small over/under bridges from days gone by. You know the sort, the ones that were always built to last.

The weathering looks nice on the bridge itself. I had to insert a piece of wood in the corner to strengthen the back scenes. Sadly, the layout had been in store for a number of years in between moving to the south west and the boards did become damaged, but only slightly. In time I intend to paint over it but it doesn't bother me as I originally thought it would.

PXL_20230911_160715347.PORTRAIT.jpg

The opening through the bridge needs a little tidying up but this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm considering painting this black just inside the bridge and also perhaps using a cover with flaps cut in to allow the trains to pass through but conceal the fiddle plank on the other side.
PXL_20230911_160445537.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230911_160813657.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230911_160951054.PORTRAIT.jpg

Earlier this afternoon I was experimenting with some 'wet effects' liquids I have as part of the Ammo range. These are designed to imitate damp conditions, dripping or running water and water ingress in brickwork, for example. I may add more of this over time just to make the effect a little stronger. However, I do like the grass on the embankment at this angle. Wild and overgrown and having been scorched and bleached by the sun from those long summer days.
I also added some brick dust effects and a touch of what could be limescale.
PXL_20230911_160545384.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

At the other side of the bridge I have now included a low relief warehouse which fits nicely. This has had some weathering added and was inserted prior to the embankment being constructed around it. I'd like to have something dumped at the end of this siding rusting away and forgotten. A tank locomotive perhaps or a wagon.
PXL_20230911_160659061.PORTRAIT.jpg

Here is an old yard crane which I added rust weathering to and placed on a base a few months ago. It isn't stuck down to the base as yet. I'm unsure whether to cut out a hole in the cork underlay for this to slot into. I'm pretty sure that I've seen yard cranes on separate bases on the ground and also just on the ground themselves?
PXL_20230911_160619065.PORTRAIT.jpg

More to continue with for the time being.
Chris

Last edited:

wigancg

Western Thunderer
A bit more tinkering around this afternoon with a few scenic bits. More bushes and undergrowth added and some detailing parts as well.

One of the 08 shunters has been out and about doing some shunting this afternoon too. She's in an early 1970's BR black livery with those lovely wasp stripes. Shunters such as the 08's will predominantly be used on Bank Top for their excellent slow running.

PXL_20230913_144654114.jpg

PXL_20230913_144838742.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230913_144958628.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230913_145158982.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230913_145332594.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230913_145344115.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230913_145937619.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230913_150056232.PORTRAIT.jpg

Until next time,
Chris :)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
I love this time of year. That early autumn feel when the air is beginning to turn fresher and a slight chill in the early morning on the way down to the railway station and on to work. The trees are on the turn, with some already shedding their summer outfits for simpler winter looks, such as the horse chestnut varieties. Others are hanging on a little while longer before giving us their autumnal delights in a riot of colour as October deepens and cascades into November.

For me, summer is alright but I've never been an admirer. I'm an autumn baby and prefer the colours the season brings with the darker evenings and the smells of the earth beginning to feed itself as the trees shed their leaves. I used to feel that autumn was the season that performed the greatest delights but didn't last long enough. However, as I've grown older I've realised that this adds to its charm. Get out there and savour autumn's beauty before the winter winds whip the leaves and colour away.

With autumn I've always fancied replicating it in model form, one way or another and I've managed to do that with Bank Top. The trees are from MBR, a superb model tree and foliage company based in Poland and are of exquisite quality!

PXL_20231004_135050047.jpg

PXL_20231004_135107500.jpg

PXL_20231004_134848148.jpg

PXL_20231004_135213187.jpg
A Jinty potters about the yard for a change and Gordon captures it with his camera.

PXL_20231004_140018274.jpg
Later on, trusty 'Linda' makes an appearance looking for work.

Chris :)

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Chris,

Lovely trees, autumn is a too little modelled season. That combination of foliage and industrial steam reminds me of the tanfield railway

George

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Chris,

Lovely trees, autumn is a too little modelled season. That combination of foliage and industrial steam reminds me of the tanfield railway

George
George,

You're absolutely right! The Tanfield Rly is one which I've yet to visit though. However, I used to enjoy visiting the steam gala down at Foxfield. The guys down there don't seem to do the galas like they used to pre-pandemic...

Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I've been watching the layout for a few weeks now and really like how it's going. Those trees look fantastic. Are there any import charges/taxes when buying things from Europe or do you pay just the price given on the website?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I've been watching the layout for a few weeks now and really like how it's going. Those trees look fantastic. Are there any import charges/taxes when buying things from Europe or do you pay just the price given on the website?

Hi Dave,

Ahead of a reply from Chris, I've used MBR trees and other bushes etc on Ewe and Sheep Dip. You should be fine regards duty etc yes, you pay the prices on their website. Just keep the order below £135.00 and you should be okay. I think my order was about £125.00 or thereabouts.

Payment is by bank transfer which I recall was a bit faffy but doable. Delivery was about six weeks or so in my case.

Chris's experience is more recent than mine so may differ but I'll be ordering from MBR in the next month or so for the new layout.

I looked at Primo trees at the Stafford show. Really nice chap, also Polish but I have to say MBR have the edge as far as I'm concerned.

Rob.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

Hi Dave,

Rob has summed everything up nicely :) I wholeheartedly agree, the price you see on the MBR website is what you pay at the checkout. Everything is simple in terms of the transaction and the guys will reply in English too if you have a query.

I usually receive my delivery, like Rob, between 4 to 6 weeks as your trees/bushes are made to order. Everything is well packed for shipment and each tree has it's own secure case so it doesn't get damaged.

MBR is my go to company from now on for trees, especially the autumn look.

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Have you been using one of Sheepy's layouts to photograph your locos? It has the feel.
Hi Phil,

I do follow Rob and his sheep themed layouts, yes. I saw Bleat Wharf at an exhibition last October and it inspired me to build a shunting layout along similar lines, although I'm nowhere near Rob's league yet!

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Well, in between work and local exhibition duties with the model club I've managed to get around to changing the couplings over on some of the locomotives which will be used on Bank Top Yard. I've also continued with some scenic aspects. Around the water tank has received some weathering to replicate coal dust and dirt as well as oil and general muck from the steam and diesel locomotives. More general weeds and overgrowth in areas has been added too and some new autumn trees are forthcoming soon.

PXL_20231021_182249808.NIGHT.jpg
One of the lovely little 0-4-0 Peckett locomotives at rest.
PXL_20231021_182216283.jpg
'Elspeth' looking much better with different couplings.

Chris