Bank Top Yard (Industrial)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
'Elspeth' looks great, Chris - how did you achieve the weathering on this one, please?
Thanks Tim.
Elspeth has had a mixture of dirty washes with matt paints followed by weathering powders from the MIG range, mainly around the smokebox, boiler top and bunker. She's also had some airbrushing below solebar and on the tank sides. The limescale around the safety valves is just white paint applied very thinly and the stains around the smokebox door are applied using the end of an unfolded paperclip dipped lightly in paint to give running streak effects.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
'Elspeth' looks great, Chris - how did you achieve the weathering on this one, please?
I was going to ask the same thing, Chris or Rob would you mind doing some step by step photos for us as the weathering you both achieve is subtle but has real depth ... A hard balance to achieve in my experience

wigancg

Western Thunderer
I was going to ask the same thing, Chris or Rob would you mind doing some step by step photos for us as the weathering you both achieve is subtle but has real depth ... A hard balance to achieve in my experience
I can certainly look into this the next time I am weathering some stock. I have some 21 ton wagons next up which I will weather up to an internal user only spec for the yard.

I have a couple of Peckett locos for use on this layout and here is one of them as I've found time to paint and fit a driver inside the cab. She has been given NCB lettering and I did consider giving her a name and/or number. However, I didn't in the end and she will remain as she is. Another smooth and reliable runner for the daily wagon bashing.

IMG_20230328_133701.jpg

IMG_20230328_133728.jpg

This part of the yard has seen the most attention so far with static grass application to give the impression of better times.

IMG_20230328_133605.jpg

I've just discovered that the 24.5 ton wagons in the photo have replacement hook and chains for coupling so I will swap these over as they'll be used in pairs or threes on the layout. The magnetic couplings as seen are from when I have used them to recreate a long coal train rattling along behind a GWR 28xx or 52xx on the club layout during open days.

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
This week's progress has been to continue developing some scenic areas around the left hand side and back of the layout.

A small brick built coal bunker has been added within the area of the water tower for refilling steam locomotives in the yard as required. This has been slightly weathered and coal added, then glued. My grandad was an NCB miner at Bickershaw Colliery in Lancashire and he had a coal bunker similar to this in his back yard. He had free coal for life due to his job and it would often spill out in summer when the domestic fire wasn't lit.

Other yard weathering and paraphernalia will follow in time.

IMG_20230329_191417.jpg

I have also toned down the other yard buildings to give a worn look. Continuous weathering and features will follow in due course once I'm happy with the placement and the buildings can be made permanent.

IMG_20230329_191857.jpg

Finally, I managed to get hold of some rare Bachmann NCB internal wagons last week. These were ones I recall seeing in Manchester around a decade or more ago in a model shop which has long since closed. I didn't have a keen interest at the time but how things change. I'm sure they'll get some weathering treatment at some point or other and will remain empty with just traces of minerals inside.

IMG_20230326_221524.jpg

I have a condemned tank wagon which I may place on the back siding against the buffer stops on a permanent basis. This is something that I practised weathering techniques on. It will make an appearance at some point.

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Work continues...

IMG_20230402_201405.jpg
There's always time for a natter when tea is involved. Perhaps these two are discussing a shift swap for next Saturday?
IMG_20230402_201238.jpg
A 'Gronk' appears with a single wagon and 'Toad' backing into the yard.
IMG_20230402_201219.jpg
Seen better days...
IMG_20230402_201314.jpg

I've been developing the back of the layout this week. I wanted an uneven look to the back scene, sort of stumpy appearance as well as an old pill box embedded into the hillside. Perhaps the yard had military connections at one point during the 1940s? Anyway, it looks better now at the back and trees and bushes will be added soon enough. The whole layout has a late summer/autumn approaching appearance with scorched/dead grass.

IMG_20230402_201148.jpg
The shunter takes a rest for a while between movements.

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
It's been a couple of weeks since I was last properly on here. It has been back to work recently for me after the recovery stage and less modelling can take place when duty calls. Nonetheless, evenings at home have recently been spent on some scenic bits and pieces as well as some smaller aspects of detailing to some of the locomotives.

The overall look of the layout is being achieved, which I'm pleased about and the next phase is to develop some trees for the back parts of the layout. I'd like to aim for an Indian summer/on the cusp of autumn look with a few trees on the turn with their leaves, as well as some leaf litter starting to form in the nooks of buildings and the base of trees.

Some fine detailing can begin as well. The usual yard details: oil drums, old sleepers, coal piles. That kind of thing.

IMG_20230416_202038.jpg
Austerity at rest.

IMG_20230416_202059.jpg
The 08 bustles about the yard finding some work.

IMG_20230416_202128.jpg

IMG_20230416_202115.jpg
The Austerity now leaves for the colliery. Duty calls...

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Time flies and it's June already!

Work and progress have slowed recently on Bank Top Yard due to work commitments and the warmer weather brings evening strolls, reading in the garden (railway related literature, naturally) and days out.

However, I've been thinking and experimenting with trees for a while now for the layout. Not too many but a handful to give the appearance of the yard being a slight distance away from the colliery. I've taken a fair bit of inspiration from the photographs and archive footage of Astley Green Colliery, Lancashire and how the lines to and from the colliery would soon run back away from the grime of the colliery surroundings and back through the green landscape of wild grass, bushes and trees.

My favourite time of year is autumn and I'd like to give the layout the feel of September time when some of the trees are turning with their colours.

IMG_20230604_201736_1.jpg
The 08 at rest.

IMG_20230604_205754.jpg
Breaktime natter.

IMG_20230604_205806.jpg
The 05 trundling around with some vans for the stores shed.

IMG_20230604_205827.jpg
There's no rush with shunting.

IMG_20230604_205844.jpg
A bit of work yet on the back to add some bushes but it's taking shape. I'm still unsure about the tree here. It acts as a viewing break really.

Until next time,
Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Well here we are in July...

Not much to report for Bank Top Yard of late. Scenery continues in small fits and starts with bushes and vegetation around the yard and embankments. I'm happy with the trees, especially the ones towards the back which give the feeling of autumn approaching.

I have some rounds of much needed annual leave from work approaching over the coming weeks so I intend to look into replacing the backscene, constructing a frame around the layout to view through, the fiddle yard and a covering top with some strip LED. Once the backscene boards are replaced then I can start to investigate what to use as a scenic break for the line disappearing off down towards the colliery. Perhaps a small brick overbridge, similar to the one photographed here by Cedwyn Davies near the former Newlands Colliery, Margam.

Newlands colliery.jpg
Nothing too fancy...

Meanwhile, some photographs to be getting on with...

IMG_20230628_201915.jpg
These internal user wagons from Planet Industrials are superb in detail and were enjoyable to recently weather up over a couple of evenings. Not heavily weathered but just workstained with remnants of coal inside.

IMG_20230628_202014.jpg
A view into the corner of the layout from ground level in between activity.

IMG_20230628_204403_787.jpg
I make no apologies for including several views of this scene. I find it timeless and nothing more really needs to be added here. I am a fan of the Dart Castings range of figures just as much as the Modelu and Hardy's Hobbies - however, Hardy's Hobbies is ceasing business so grab some figures whilst stocks last.

IMG_20230628_202157.jpg
Small Peckett bustling about the yard.

Until next time,
Chris

PhilH

Western Thunderer
This may be regarded as rather pedantic, but with regard to the wording on the NCB sign in the last photo, if your layout is based on a Lancashire colliery in the late 1960s - 1970s the correct area title was "North Western Area".

On Nationalisation (1/1/1947) collieries were formed into eight divisions, each of which was divided into a number of areas. Collieries in Lancashire were included in the North Western Division and initially comprised Areas No.1 (Manchester), No.2 (Wigan), No.3 (St.Helens) and No.4 (Burnley).
On 1st January 1961 the Area numbering was dropped, and Area No.1 became the East Lancashire Area, absorbing some collieries from No.2 Area which was disbanded. The remaining parts of No.2 Area, plus the whole of No.3 Area, became the West Lancashire Area.
In August 1966, the East Lancashire Area was expanded to become the East Lancashire, Burnley & Cumberland Area, absorbing the remaining collieries from the Burnley Area and also collieries in Cumberland.
The next change took effect from 26th March 1967, when a major national reorganisation replaced Divisions by eighteen 'New style' areas. Surviving Lancashire collieries, together with those in Cumberland and North Wales, formed the North Western Area.
With the continued run-down of the industry, the North Western Area was merged with the Staffordshire Area on 1st April 1974 to form the Western Area.

Although I visited most of the remaining collieries in Lancashire in the 1960s I didn't record or photograph any such signs, which would have been at the colliery's main entrance, mainly because most of my visits were "unofficial" so I didn't normally use the "front door" !

NCB Crest.jpg

NCB crest on locomotive WHISTON

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Lovely modelling Chris, I've just marked it as one to follow and enjoy.
Keep up the great work.

Best.
EDIT: errr I'm already following you.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
This may be regarded as rather pedantic, but with regard to the wording on the NCB sign in the last photo, if your layout is based on a Lancashire colliery in the late 1960s - 1970s the correct area title was "North Western Area".

On Nationalisation (1/1/1947) collieries were formed into eight divisions, each of which was divided into a number of areas. Collieries in Lancashire were included in the North Western Division and initially comprised Areas No.1 (Manchester), No.2 (Wigan), No.3 (St.Helens) and No.4 (Burnley).
On 1st January 1961 the Area numbering was dropped, and Area No.1 became the East Lancashire Area, absorbing some collieries from No.2 Area which was disbanded. The remaining parts of No.2 Area, plus the whole of No.3 Area, became the West Lancashire Area.
In August 1966, the East Lancashire Area was expanded to become the East Lancashire, Burnley & Cumberland Area, absorbing the remaining collieries from the Burnley Area and also collieries in Cumberland.
The next change took effect from 26th March 1967, when a major national reorganisation replaced Divisions by eighteen 'New style' areas. Surviving Lancashire collieries, together with those in Cumberland and North Wales, formed the North Western Area.
With the continued run-down of the industry, the North Western Area was merged with the Staffordshire Area on 1st April 1974 to form the Western Area.

Although I visited most of the remaining collieries in Lancashire in the 1960s I didn't record or photograph any such signs, which would have been at the colliery's main entrance, mainly because most of my visits were "unofficial" so I didn't normally use the "front door" !

View attachment 190223

NCB crest on locomotive WHISTON

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the posting and the detailed info. I can definitely see now what you mean. I've searched high and low and can't find any photographs either for any colliery entrance signs for the 'North Western Area' but plenty for the Welsh sites and for North Eastern collieries.

It doesn't overly bother me as such that the sign on my layout isn't 100% correct, however, I may change it over time.

Always good to have first hand knowledge of these things those from experts so, once again, thank you.

Chris :)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Things are progressing nicely here on Bank Top. Over the last couple of weeks the layout has its front framing piece fitted and now needs painting black as well as the side panels. I've never constructed a layout before with a viewing window/frame but I like them more and more when I see them at exhibitions. It seems to encourage people to look closely at fine details as well as the, "oh, I wonder what's around there..."

Additionally, I've been spending time around the bridge which will form the scenic break between the layout and the fiddle yard shelf. Originally I had intended on making a bridge with an iron/steel span over the trackbed. I discovered, as you do when rifling through modelling materials and unmade kit boxes that I still had some of the Wills brick arch bridge kits - so here was my answer. I do like a brick arched bridge.

The Wills kits are lovely but need lots of attention with the paints and powders for weathering to get the desired effect. So, after constructing the kit I gave the spandrel wall, parapets and wing walls a coat of track colour grey mixed with a chocolate brown and then wiped off quickly afterwards. I then added a white wash to invade the mortar sections and, again, wiped off quickly. Finally, another grey enamel wash and wipe off for good measure.

For the arch I painted this to give it an engineering blue brick colour and gave it a grey wash afterwards. As the overal bridge was still sticky and damp from the painting I attacked it with some powders for a bit of weathering.

PXL_20230903_190813984.jpg

I prefer to use the MIG Ammo powders (although I struggle to pick these up in person from a shop around here. Bristol seems the nearest at the moment) with a range of different brush sizes and colours:
  • city dirt grey (in the nooks crevices where dirt would usually accumulate)
  • rubble (around the parapet inlets)
  • dark earth (again, in the nooks but also towards ground level)
  • black smoke (for the soot effects from steam locomotives)
PXL_20230903_190825596.jpg

I'm happy with it and it's ready to begin the installation process.

I still need to tackle the strip lighting to sit within the frame and purchase some decent trestle legs. A conclusion is in sight though!

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
So what do you do when you're in the midst of a September heatwave (I think this is classed as more than an Indian Summer?!) Well, use the heat to help dry paint, glue and plaster of Paris. Modelling opportunities around every corner...

This afternoon I had some free time to tackle the embankment around the brick arch overbridge. I do like the scenic aspect of railway modelling so even though this can be a tad messy with water, plaster mixes, equipment everywhere, it's necessary and I enjoy it. Safe to say that the overbridge went nicely into position the other evening, it has dried and held firm and then embankment is now drying and solidifying around the wing walls too. Once dry this will receive a brown coat of "soil" and then be attacked with static grass, foliage clumps and the usual bushes and the odd small tree here and there, perhaps.

Other detailing being applied recently:

PXL_20230907_155701108.PORTRAIT.jpg
I picked up a rail enthusiast figure for the layout. This is one of the Hardy's Hobbies figures as part of their closing down sale. He can pose nicely around the back of the yard hut watching the shunting action going on. Perhaps this can be Gordon Edgar snapping away for his excellent industrial book series?
PXL_20230907_155642499.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230907_160019136.PORTRAIT.jpg
Modelu figures really do set the highest of standards with figures.

PXL_20230907_155947752.PORTRAIT.jpg
I recently picked up this metal hut which now sits on one side of the yard. Again, I spent time adding weathering to it and I like the bright industrial looking door and padlock. And let's not forget kitty cat - she's doing a lovely job posing for Gordon...

PXL_20230907_155717642.PORTRAIT.jpg
This guy isn't in much of a rush to change the points.

PXL_20230907_155741392.PORTRAIT.jpg
4680 simmers in the yard with the fireman keeping a look out.

PXL_20230907_160041110.PORTRAIT.jpg
These lamps caught my attention too when I was looking for something industrial. I've seen similar in Gordon Edgar's photos and they just look right. Only a few on the layout here and there in the right places.

Chris :)

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Very nice stuff Indeed.... Particularly like the cat.

I'm also a great fan of the Gordon Edgar books... Incredible photography. Would not be out of place in an art gallery.