Bank Top Yard (Industrial)

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Just caught up with your thread, Chris, and like your approach to the scenic side in particular. I have found glass laid over a painted base which is dark at the deepest area working back through shades of brown to the edge looks most realistic. I was fortunate in 'salvaging' some gently rippled patterned glass once which produced the best effect I think I ever achieved. Hope this may be of help.

Roger

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Just caught up with your thread, Chris, and like your approach to the scenic side in particular. I have found glass laid over a painted base which is dark at the deepest area working back through shades of brown to the edge looks most realistic. I was fortunate in 'salvaging' some gently rippled patterned glass once which produced the best effect I think I ever achieved. Hope this may be of help.

Roger
Hello Roger,

That sounds brilliant and thank you for sharing. I shall indeed have a practice soon enough with this and see how I get on. I haven't dabbled in the area of water effects before as a modeller so this is new territory, but it's all a learning curve which is a huge enjoyment factor in the wonderful hobby.

Chris

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
The majority of the locomotives to be used on the layout will be industrial steam. However, I do have a couple of appropriate diesels, and these are appropriately weathered too.

I have a couple of 08 shunters, one of which is a tremendous Hornby model which I renumbered to represent a classmate that was outshopped from Horwich Works back home in Lancashire as she would have been in the early 1970s, pre-TOPs. Once again, she is amazingly smooth for shunting.
I sometimes dip my toes into the world of 1970s BR Blue for industrial settings, particularly when 08s were borrowed by the NCB or ended up working at a colliery permanently in the 70s & 80s.

View attachment 182671
View attachment 182674

View attachment 182672

View attachment 182670

I haven't decided yet whether to have any other diesels on the layout. However, something like an 03 or 04 would be nice.

Chris
You could add a Hornby Ruston or sentinel to your fleet.... Or go the whole hog and add a Judith edge kit or two ....

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I've had decent enough results using PVA with a top coat of yacht varnish.

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tip. This was the only method I was aware of from doing some wider research and speaking to the guys at the club. I'll have a practice and also have a look at the glass method too and compare. :thumbs:

You could add a Hornby Ruston or sentinel to your fleet.... Or go the whole hog and add a Judith edge kit or two ....
You know, up until the middle of last year I had one of Model Rail's steam Sentinels. I picked it up second hand from Arcadia Models in Shaw, Greater Manchester (a cracking model shop if you're ever in the area!) I weathered it up and applied NCB transfers and it ran like a dream. Then, for some idiotic reason I sold it before this project got off the ground! Someone has a treat of a model now with this one!

I'm sure many of us have done it but I am very disappointed in myself for doing so. It would have been perfect! Lesson learned.

Chris

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I'm sure many of us have done it but I am very disappointed in myself for doing so. It would have been perfect! Lesson learned
Yeah know what you mean.... I sold on a MLV I had weathered. Was such a lovely vehicle. No use to me or my era/layout and I hope whoever has it loves it but I do look back with some regrets .....

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Chris, there was a Hunslet named "Linda", works no. 3781 of 1952. She's now preserved, albeit in a different form...

3781 is currently undergoing overhaul at Ropley. It tends to be known as 'Dave' around the railway, to avoid any potential copyright or trademark issues!

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
I too have fond memories of the Mini Clubman as my Father had a couple in the seventies which we used as the family car. Many camping holidays spent in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. The pictures of your model reminds me of many a visit to some railway or industrial site where we spent many a time investigating the surroundings!
The last one he had was Blaze Red(?).
Lovely layout
All the best
Julian

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
I too have fond memories of the Mini Clubman as my Father had a couple in the seventies which we used as the family car. Many camping holidays spent in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. The pictures of your model reminds me of many a visit to some railway or industrial site where we spent many a time investigating the surroundings!
The last one he had was Blaze Red(?).
Lovely layout
All the best
Julian
Hi Julian,
My dad used to have a blue Clubman, according to his stories and recollections and it was one of his first cars. He progressed onto a Ford Mexico at some point in the 80s before 'it was nicked in Wigan one night and used as part of a robbery'. The police found it afterwards but he couldn't take it back as it was tainted. To be honest, he hasn't had much luck with his cars over the years.
Your father's Blaze Red Mini Clubman must have looked brilliant back in the day?!

In terms of the layout, I haven't done much this past week with it due to other commitments that crop up in life but I have been busy with some weathering of wagons, locos and buildings to be used on the layout.

I needed a building for the front of the layout which would suit the period. I spotted one of these Bachmann huts which took my eye and it looks right at home here. I added some dirty washes and weathering to it as it needed toning down and, after some additional grass and yard muck around it over the coming days, it should look pretty good. There seems to be something appealing and industrial about those windows, their frames, the slanted roof and the general angular structure of the building. The kind of 'quick, no frills or nonsense' designs for little buildings like this to store general tools and yard tat. Over time I'll add the usual fine detailing to scenes like this - one part of the hobby that I very much enjoy!

IMG_20230326_122432.jpg

IMG_20230326_122623.jpg

A water tower now sits in between two of the sidings on the left hand side of the layout. This was always intended and, again, is starting to look at home. Some additional weathering is required on the tank sides where smoke stains would build up from stationary locomotives underneath whilst the crew are taking their break in the hut nearby. This I shall do over time as well and is on the list.

IMG_20230326_122535.jpg

IMG_20230326_122506.jpg

IMG_20230326_122555.jpg

I spent some time last week developing my thoughts and ideas for the back scene replacement and how to develop the frames around the layout and the eventual lighting as well. All enjoyable stuff and continuing with the learning curve.

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Chris - you'll need a 4mm scale model of photographer Gordon Edgar to put somewhere on the layout!
Tim - absolutely! What a grand idea! I have his books that I regularly dip in and out of for reference. I'll put this on the 'to do' list.

It appears Sheldon Fopp has had his paints out again.

View attachment 183472

Dear, Darling Foppy.
Rob
Thank you, Rob and to Foppy too. Another masterpiece here!

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Here is Elspeth. She's a little workhorse who tirelessly spends her time shuffling around the yard, exchange sidings and Bank Top colliery just down the line.

I really enjoy running this locomotive. It's one of the Kerr Stuart 'Victory' class locos from the guys at Planet Industrials and Elspeth has been a joy to add detailing to. Far too clean when new, she now looks the business and lady-like for the colliery surroundings.

She's such a smooth, slow runner too and will be very much utilised when the layout is finally finished along with other future projects. I just need to add some crew as well as an oil can or two next to the sandboxes.

IMG_20230326_221450.jpg
Elspeth posing in the yard.

IMG_20230326_202356.jpg
Pottering around shunting some empty internal wagons.

IMG_20230326_202619.jpg
Perhaps the driver and fireman are having lunch in the hut on the left?

IMG_20230326_202708.jpg
This chunky lady can biff those wagons around the yard like there's no tomorrow!

IMG_20230326_221429.jpg

Chris