A small country halt somewhere west of Middlesex

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Been doing a lot of painting lately practicing up for painting the back scene IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1610.jpeg
IMG_1606.jpeg
Also taking a fair number of naps because I have been getting tired quite a bit lately, also have lost 35 pounds since my heart attack, so that’s a bit worrying. Days are getting shorter so soon will be better for working on the layout.
Michael

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Been doing a lot of painting lately practicing up for painting the back scene View attachment 195321
View attachment 195322
View attachment 195323
Also taking a fair number of naps because I have been getting tired quite a bit lately, also have lost 35 pounds since my heart attack, so that’s a bit worrying. Days are getting shorter so soon will be better for working on the layout.
Michael
Lovely paintings Michael. When I saw the first one and read the bit about backscenes I wondered for a moment whether you were planning a project based around Magnus Volk’s ‘spider’ off the coast at Brighton…

Nigel

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It's been another 'catch-up' day for me on your thread Michael. Indifferent health over the past many months has meant my meanderings on WT have been random to say the least and I seemed to have lost the knack of maintaining continuity in the following of threads which I enjoy. Consequently a re-read has found many little pieces I seem to have missed on the first time round so I have endeavoured to acknowledge that appropriately. Your water colour work is delightful - as one who has dabbled for years, I would like to reach your standard. I also fully agree with your observation about the work level rising the older one gets - or is it because age seems to make us slower?

I hope your heart problems have eased and the weight loss steadied. Having had some problems of that nature, resulting in a by-pass I can identify with your problems. Take care of yourself and - this is the hard bit - remember you aren't twenty-five any more - ;).

Roger

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger thank you for your kindness. I’m feeling much better as time moves on. Currently thinking about how to deal with the backscene painting. I’m contemplating gluing on a layer of white cotton cloth and then priming it with gesso, before doing the artwork.
Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Finished gluing up the forms at the south end and then glued on a mess of strips from various packages.
IMG_1753.jpeg
Looks colourful so I will see how strong it is once it’s dry, I did lay a piece of light canvas over it to see the general shape. I will layer some plaster bandage type material on when the time comes.
IMG_1755.jpeg
Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
The test was solid so on WTH the show, yesterday I used some yellow glue Thad I had on hand. Later in the day purchased a couple of bottles of school glue and this morning poured one into a plastic beaker diluted it 100% and added some brown craft paint. Using a 2inch brush painted the strips laid down the towels then coated over. After the first coat it took ages poking around finding the tree holes, so plopped the glue sticks in before the next layers.
IMG_1868.jpeg
IMG_1869.jpeg
IMG_1867.jpeg

Willlet this dry before proceeding.
Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Pulled a Larry G this afternoon.
As I have switched scales and already have a loop in the garden that I can run my 1/32nd scale stuff on and not having anywhere to put the G3 models and since none of the buildings have yet been started. The track gang got to work.IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2234.jpeg
The tunnel will become an end of the track after adding a bit more slope and a set of buffers, about midway down the track will be a single point to a couple of tracks the closer one a shed and the further one into a tunnel that will be hidden by the shed.

Was a therapeutic experience and was nice to be standing up and doing something physical instead of staring at a computer screen.
Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Able to reuse rail pulled up from the previous layoutIMG_2242.jpeg
I also decided to lay some cork down and on my visit to the local Home Depot the sold cork in huge underlay rolls for $128 which was way more expensive and acres more than I would need. The person who was helping me there, the said we do have cork mac tac perfect….
IMG_2244.jpeg
$20 for 18x48 inches so with som careful cutting I should be able to get most of what I need.
Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Yup it’s a bad case but the cure was knowing that I had some medication in the form of some strips of redwood that I was saving for just the right infection!IMG_2246.jpeg

IMG_2245.jpeg
An hour and a half later the sleepers are mostly cut to length, just the point ones to trim.
Michael