A small country halt somewhere west of Middlesex

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Here we are now at the end of May, I have been working slowly picking away at the spikes for the track, and only have about ten feet left to do. It has been slow mostly because I have been sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine, rearranging some of the small shrubs that were killed off in the winter on the garden railway.
On Friday I had a fit of purchasing madness and after years of wanting to buy some of the woodland scenics components settled for enough stuff to make some rocks and some soft
IMG_1329.jpeg

View from my seated spot having coffee this morning,IMG_1326.jpeg

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Ken yes I also picked up thre molds for rocks for the indoor layout, IMG_1327.jpeg Tony laughed at the monorail reference. The garden planter with the dogbone gauge 1 track has a mix of perennial and annual flowers and miniature shrubs. It is a tough environment because of our long cold winters. The front wall is 60 feet long and are concrete “stone” as my budget was not high enough for real stone.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
A trip back to the plastic company yielded a pile of very nice clean corrugated card for working on the landscape structure
IMG_1348.jpeg
IMG_1347.jpeg
This stuff will be great for the bridge and road areas
IMG_1346.jpeg
The shipping clerk was really helpful and said that if I needed any help getting stuff out of the bin to just ask.
Great customer service!
Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
It cuts up to make very good terrain formers too.

Hot glue, and slices of thin grey card like cereal packets and you can create the foundations of rolling hills or gentle slopes in minutes.

Once the shape is there, it’s trivially simple to cover in strips of newspaper and watered down PVA.

brown paint, PVA, static grass. Shazam!

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I’m currently working on the drawing for the halt building it is based on the Wiveliscombe shelter on page 356 Railway Bylines 100th issue Vol 10 issue 6 June 2005 trying to make up my mind about it
Photo by Peter Barnfield photo for illustration purposes only IMG_1351.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg
I’m trying to decide whether to add the canopy and some form of toilet facilities, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael

daifly

Western Thunderer
I’m trying to decide whether to add the canopy and some form of toilet facilities, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would say no and no. Open-fronted shelters such as this would simply be a shelter from the weather whilst waiting for a train. It might be found on the opposite platform to a more substantial station building or as the only structure (probably without windows) at a halt. A canopy and toilet would be out of character in my view.

As a boy, my local station (Stratton Park - the first stop east of Swindon) was typical.
4090 Dorchester Castle passing Stratton Park Halt.jpeg
Dave

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Another no to the canopy.
Not often toilet facilities on light railways - you were told by your mum to 'Go before you go'.

What if you were to increase the pitch of the roof (ref. your drawing), just slightly - ever-so slightly......?
I think it would increase the elegance of the structure by a factor of 3, more in keeping with its appearance in the photo :)

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Tony the building in the photo is in fact just a shelter on the opposite side of the station at Wiveliscoombe. It appears to have some sort of bench seating inside, if it were to be the only building at the halt how would the travelers gain their tickets?
Michael

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Don’t forget to check clearances as you progress for the narrow gauge stock (just in case :) ).

I actually just became confused as to what scale / gauge you are (currently) modelling in here, so I went to the start and worked right through.
By post 89 I had settled, following close observation of the baseboard photos, on 7mm standard gauge as being the most likely combo - until a brief outbreak of posts alluding to 1/32 starting at post 90 had me going again!

Other than that group of posts which could easily be missed by the casual observer there is precious little to inform of the scale in particular.

So - 1/32, standard gauge it (currently) is.
At least I think so :D

Last edited: