4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Scenery has started at the station end with the long siding finished. Shock-horror, the goods shed leans but it doesn't at the front.... Call in Sherlock Jones.... Checked it out and the back of the good shed leans and bulges. Never spotted it before...:eek:
WEB Llanfair new 13A.jpg

Inspiration for this end is taken from Llanfyllin...
WEB Llanfair new 13B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The advantage of laying 1.8" cork over the whole baseboard is being able to cut into it and sink buildings. The base was checked with a set-square...

WEB Llanfair 14A.jpg

The hut simply clips in and is removable...
WEB Llanfair 14B.jpg

Positioned at the entrance to the yard. A rail-built guard will be added to protect the weighbridge. Vinyl grass moulded with a heatgun forms the raised ground onto which will be glued static grass.....
WEB Llanfair 14C.jpg

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Still watching your continued progress Larry with interest and gaining much needed inspiration as usual. In my humble opinion placing the coal siding alongside the back scene is a master stroke. This adjustment has greatly increased the depth of the layout and taken away the ‘cramped’ look …… now leave it as it is and carry on regardless it’s looking really good .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It occurred to me that if the slope down to the goods shed was extended to make a side uploading platform, it would be a useful adjunct to the goods facilities. For instance, unloaded heavy farming equipment.....

WEB Llanfair new 14B.jpg

I changed the pictures to show I liked the wooden 3-bar fencing better. More rural.....
WEB Llanfair new 14A.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It occurred to me that if the slope down to the goods shed was extended to make a side uploading platform, it would be a useful adjunct to the goods facilities. For instance, unloaded heavy farming equipment.....

And for other special traffic such as horseboxes or a stores van.

By bringing the access slope forward into the goods yard it also provides a more solid foundation for the station building and easier access for maintenance to the rear said building.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The whole scene is looking very nice, Larry and really says 'Llanfyllin' to me.

If I may offer one, very small and insignificant piece of constructive criticism, which is that the old rail guarding the weighbridge is rather long to only have the two supports, perhaps an additional one in the middle may have been called for? (unless, of course, the prototype is like that!).

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The whole scene is looking very nice, Larry and really says 'Llanfyllin' to me.

If I may offer one, very small and insignificant piece of constructive criticism, which is that the old rail guarding the weighbridge is rather long to only have the two supports, perhaps an additional one in the middle may have been called for? (unless, of course, the prototype is like that!).
Funny you should say that. The guard rail I copied had three supports, so I've just soldered on an extra leg... :)

sjp23480

Hi Larry,

It looks great, fascinating to see the layout come together.

I have one question, do you plan to weather the buildings - toning down the brickwork it doesn't have that "just built" appearance?

Please keep us poste on your progress.

Best
Steve