4mm Llanfair ....

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
That platform ramp looks better, Larry.
The new BR Standard Class 2s look to be very nice models indeed, especially after weathering. Of they do the tank version, I will be sorely tempted.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A GWR Chudleigh Goods Shed from Rail Model is on the go from today while I experiment with ideas on the layout.....
WEB Chudeigh goods 1.jpg
Illustrated instructions show the ends go between the sides, however, this turned out to be not the case. Too late for me of course....
WEB Chudleigh goods 2.jpg
This is the basic structure. I've built it back to front, as I intend building a loading platform on the rail side (this side).The roof is glued down to stop it bowing once the roofing slates are on.....

WEB Chudleigh Goods 3.jpg
The prototype good shed still in GWR light and dark stone in BR days
WEB Chudleigh Goods 0.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
This little shed is not exactly a quickie! The road side with gutter fitted. Undecided on how to complete the base of the building and so drainpipes will have to wait. I wonder why the planks can't be laser cut onto the wall surface....?
WEB Chudleigh Goods 7.jpg

Track side elevation with door and runner temporarily in position. They will be painted separately....
WEB Chudleigh goods 6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Two options were considered for the base, and in the end I built a simple brick base with a shallow platform on the rail side. Doors will be glued on after painting is completed...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 9.jpg
The bricks are from a sheet of laser cut from Intentio. Mortar courses are very fine and on previous occasions, they lent themselves well to taking grey mortar without it looking garish.....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Painted in BR Western Region colours and weathered. Photos taken this morning in what passes for daylight hereabouts....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10A.jpgWEB Chudleigh Goods 10B.jpg

Bricks pretty well followed PhilH's procedure and were sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer before adding the mortar courses...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10C.jpg

These photo reveal I have had no permanent layout as such for some months. Almost all of my handbuilt brass coaches have been disposed of and the layout scaled down to a small termini with a basic non-corridor service....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10D.jpg

Shunting will be done on the running line same as at Delph and other termini, so there is no need for headshunt tracks. I haven't decided which of the small sheds to use yet...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10E.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I was inspired by a photo of Bodmin seen this morning on Pencarrow's thread; namely a small shed in the yard on the left...
WEB Bodmin.jpg

My shed was promptly given a wash of Precision Paints P990 Weathered Wood while leaving the door and window frames untouched...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 11.jpg

The base of the chimney was also rusted.....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 12.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Painted in BR Western Region colours and weathered. Photos taken this morning in what passes for daylight hereabouts....
View attachment 206273View attachment 206274

Bricks pretty well followed PhilH's procedure and were sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer before adding the mortar courses...
View attachment 206275

These photo reveal I have had no permanent layout as such for some months. Almost all of my handbuilt brass coaches have been disposed of and the layout scaled down to a small termini with a basic non-corridor service....
View attachment 206276

Shunting will be done on the running line same as at Delph and other termini, so there is no need for headshunt tracks. I haven't decided which of the small sheds to use yet...
View attachment 206277

I quite like both small sheds being in place, a bit like egg AND pineapple with gammon and chips...

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Mid-Winter Update : I have always been wedded to a platform-mounted signalbox and so having eventually settled on the tiny 'Llansantfraid' box, the platform end was lengthened this morning to take the steps. Obviously, a right handed box like Llanfyllin would have been preferred.

WEB Llanfair new 2.jpg

Track has been lying around loose for several months just to remind me of the layout, but I hope to glue something down before long. Marks on the baseboard show the previous position of tracks. The whole set-up has been much reduced since disposing of all the corridor coaches.
WEB Llanfair new 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry, it sounds like the O gauge itch is still irritating "a little" :rolleyes:,
Hi Muddy, It has occupied my mind since 2018. 0 gauge looks so realistic and I also prefer 7mm laser cut buildings. Having to reach beyond the confines of my shed to build a return loop in the garden is a bummer. And carriages...........Well, I just don't enjoy building other peoples kits.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Not far off completing the construction of a goods shed ~ again. Probably my 7th or 8th just to keep my hand in at the workbench. All were built differently, this one has the bargeboards fitted for a change. The inner platform clips out so it can be detailed...

WEB Goods 7mm 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
What's up Doc? I removed the roof from the office, lowered the angle of the wall tops and then extended the side walls and roof. This was done because I wished to fit two large shed doors which would have covered the side window in the open position. It's all good fun.... :D

WEB Goods 7mm 6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now that I have recovered from a minor bout of 7mm-itis, an identical 4mm version is on the go with extended office and lower pitched roof. The larger shed won't be painted now, so if anyone is looking for a 7mm goods shed, there's one here. At least the laborious task of gluing on roof slates is done and it will also have shed doors by the time it is advertised for sale on here....
WEB Goods 7mm 4mm.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Latest incarnation of the LaserCut goods in 4mm. Awaiting weathering....
WEB Goods 4mm 4.jpg

The whole building was sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer, but becasue the darker bricks dried glossy, I had to pick everyone out with Humbrol Matt enamel. The sliding door runner in particular needs weathering...
WEB Goods 4mm 3.jpg