4mm Llanfair ....

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Been providing the layout with a goods yard store for animal feeds utilising a Wills SS63 plastic kit, but I left off the bargeboards...View attachment 203050

Much diluted PPC P990 'Weathered Wood' used for general weathering...
View attachment 203051

In the end I settled for GWR dark stone with brown gutters for paintwork, and very dirty light stone for the walls...
View attachment 203052
This photo was taken with daylight flash. It records a truer rendition of the indeterminate colour of the walls...
View attachment 203053

Can't beat a grotty shed for adding some character.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ha ha, I’m sure that’s a different plate from the one I enquired about! Now I’m wondering whether I ‘ve had a senior moment!
Hi, Don't worry....you didn't have a senior moment haha. I altered my caption to answer your question. 'Llanfair' was cut from the original 'Llanfair Rd Signal Box' nameboard. In this respect, I copied the style on the Helston signalbox on which the signalbox kit is based.
Can't beat a grotty shed for adding some character.
I agree, although I may yet give it a much diluted wash of GWR Light Stone without removing the muck.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
BR 78xxx with fluted coupling rods in the throes of being renumbered in the 'Cambrian' series, probably 78002 in large numerals. 78054 with rectangular section rods may also be renumbered. I though these and the Ivatt's looked weird in green...

Did all 78000 - 78008 W.Region 78xxx's get green at their first repaint or did any stay black? Assistance gratefully received....
WEB BR 2-6-0 2.jpg

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Larry, I've pictures of 78004 in lined green, no electrification flashes, in April 1962, and 78000 in August 1961 in unlined green, large crest, GW route disc. According to my Jarrold booklet, "the first ten went to the Western Region, where they were soon repainted in green livery".

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I've found a photo of 78002 carrying well-worn lining on its black black cabside and small LMR size small LMR numerals at Crewe in the 1960s. So I'm thinking this loco just might never have carried green....

Last edited:

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
Hi, Don't worry....you didn't have a senior moment haha. I altered my caption to answer your question. 'Llanfair' was cut from the original 'Llanfair Rd Signal Box' nameboard. In this respect, I copied the style on the Helston signalbox on which the signalbox kit is based.

I agree, although I may yet give it a much diluted wash of GWR Light Stone without removing the muck.
Phew, I can rest easy!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Paint a loco unlined black or green and it could look a complete ugly duckling. This is how I see the BR 78xxx class, and yet I've done one as a result of making a complete cock & balls of a simple renumbering job.

How come? I lightly sprayed the cabside with cellulose clear so that the 'Methfix transfers would adhere, forgetting I had 'Pressfix' transfers for renumbering.

This is the state of play so far while I await a new airbrush for weathering this once lovely model....
WEB Hornby 2-6-0.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
FWIW I think the unlined finish suits the "Standards", at least the small ones, better than the lined, which to me harks back to a previous era? I must also say how much better your model looks now you've obscured the garish painted brass? copper? piping. I say you've greatly improved an already fine model. Before I turn round you'll probably have presented it in lined green...

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
The only one I saw in real life: it had just brought in a train from Aber. too young to note whether it was black, green and/or lined! Hey ho.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A Sparmax MAX-3 airbrush arrived and so todays fine weather prompted a spraying day with the shed warming up during breakfast. 78002 was weathered first starting on the wheels and underframe. This 'gun' delivers a very fine spray that is easy to aim at small detail. (Pulling the lever right back delivers a full spray that can be used for normal spraying of 4mm scale models).

Photos were taken outdoors, but sadly I had forgotten to remove Mascol from the cab windows...
WEB BR 2-6-0 3.jpg
Must be dust on the tender as there are no foreign particles on the model....
WEB BR 2-6-0 4.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The other one with non-fluted coupling rods and non-W.R lamp iron is regarded as not long out of works. I used the new airbrush to tone down some of the copperwork and matt the smokebox paint...
WEB BR 2-6-0 5.jpg

Hornby failed to capture the bevel-rim wheels....
WEB BR Cl. 2 wheels 2..jpg

The Timken yellow axlebox covers were sprayed black...
WEB BR 2-6-0 6.jpg

WEB BR 2-6-0 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Father Christmas came early this year and kindly left me some Hattons Genesis coaches in various BR Engineering liveries. The question was; what to do with them? Then I remembered seeing a photo of a 4-wheel van in a Cambrian line train in the mid 1950's (below). Most of the door handles were missing but there was no lettering where one would expect it on a Tool or Mess van, so I wondered what it's function was.....
WEB 6-wheel coach 3.jpg

Using it as a parcels van (dedicated to carrying the wares from a raincoat factory) is a stretch of the imagination, but that's what it will be on my layout. It was red on delivery, so I removed paint from the windows and sprayed the coach GWR brown with black ends. Grass appears to be growing near the bufferbeam haha.....

WEB 6-wheel coach 3.jpg

The running number is a work of fiction (my old bus conductor number actually). The coach is weathered and ready for service...
WEB 6-wheel coach 4.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Father Christmas came early this year and kindly left me some Hattons Genesis coaches in various BR Engineering liveries. The question was; what to do with them? Then I remembered seeing a photo of a 4-wheel van in a Cambrian line train in the mid 1950's (below). Most of the door handles were missing but there was no lettering where one would expect it on a Tool or Mess van, so I wondered what it's function was.....
View attachment 203825

Using it as a parcels van (dedicated to carrying the wares from a raincoat factory) is a stretch of the imagination, but that's what it will be on my layout. It was red on delivery, so I removed paint from the windows and sprayed the coach GWR brown with black ends. The red cast was caused by mid afternoon light....

View attachment 203823

The running number is a work of fiction (my old bus conductor number actually). The coach is weathered and ready for service
View attachment 203824
That's a nice coach Larry apart from the big numpty coupling on the end , it just ruins everything and it's one of the reasons i couldn't go back to OO from O .

simond

Western Thunderer
TLs are not things of beauty to be sure, however, I remarked on Rob’s Ewe thread some time back that they somehow don’t show, when “in the scenery”.

I guess “ymmv”. :)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
That's a nice coach Larry apart from the big numpty coupling on the end , it just ruins everything and it's one of the reasons i couldn't go back to OO from O .
I fully agree Paul, but these 'numpty' couplings work and are easily uncoupled with a magnetic torch-pen as used by 0 gauge modellers. I too would be in the larger scale if something reasonable would fit in the garden shed. It is something that often occupies my mind.

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
I fully agree Paul, but these 'numpty' couplings work and are easily uncoupled with a magnetic torch-pen as used by 0 gauge modellers. I too would be in the larger scale if something reasonable would fit in the garden shed. It is something that often occupies my mind.

Seasons greetings Larry, it sounds like the O gauge itch is still irritating "a little" :rolleyes:, I must call by for a "paned"next time i am on the A55.

All the best
Craig