4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Nearly a month has gone by with no progress uploads, so here goes. The overlapping points were put 'in-line' to make shunting simpler and the station complex was compressed in both length and width....

WEB Llanfair 4mm 7B.jpg

Coal and goods share the same siding, but empty coal wagons can be switched to the track beside the goods shed so as not to impede goods traffic. I also decided to stick with the original Intentio signal box on the platform...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 7A.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Interesting. How does it flow? I assume it goes off quickly. Do you add anything to the paint? Clean up in Cellulose Thinners?
Hi Mike, the green is from a Halfords spraycan so it is thin enough for putting through a ruling pen after being decanted. It took two 'coats' to cover the black with an hours wait in between.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I introduce a ballast shoulder 'out in the country' using a sharp craft knife and finishing off with en electric sander....

WEB Track 4mm 1.jpg

Masking tape gives a neat edge to the ballast...
WEB Track 4mm 2.jpg

Ballasting completed. Ballast is a mix of around 60% fine light grey and 40% fine dark brown...
WEB Track 4mm 3.jpg

Ballast sprayed near the rails and the rails painted Track Rust....
WEB Track 4mm 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Two days work, so it's a bit naked. ~The photo was taken to show the signalman has a clear view past the goods shed. Our intrepid photographer must have brought his ladders....

WEB Llanfair 4mm 8.jpg

I take lots of photos to view on screen before making up my mind. A shame this tiny box wasnt right-handed....
WEB Llanfair 4mm 8B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The platform was sprayed yesterday and weathered last night...

WEB Llanfair 4mm 9.jpg

Mortar courses are diluted acrylic model paint mixed from matt black, red and Fairy Liquid to make a dark purple stain. The 'chairs' on the old Insufrog double slip were picked out with PPC 'Sleeper Grime' to create the illusion of bullhead track...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 9C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Gismo. I'm currently laying a joining of the tracks at the outer limit of the station complex similar to the arrangement at Llanfyllin. Its sprayed and is waiting to be glued & ballasted...

WEB track 4mm 7.jpg

Even if a passenger train is occupying the platform loop, a goods train can still enter Llanfair and run-round using the approach loop before shunting. Taking water at the tank keeps trains within the outer limits of the loop....
WEB Track 4mm 7B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
After laying the extended loop, it was found to be floating in places. It wasn't the only section....The cheapo PVA had failed. I bought some really thick PVA this morning and finished off the track in a simplified form seeing as I has run out of bullhead trackwork....
WEB Llanfair track 6A.jpg

With bullhead points costing nearly £40 and no bullhead plain track left, I decided not to throw anymore money at the layout and so used bullhead remnants from the bin....!
WEB Llanfair track 6C.jpg

Catch point...
WEB Llanfair track 6D.jpg

Peco streamline flat bottom from here....
WEB Llanfair track 6B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Scrap 1/2" plywood etc firmly screwed down to build up the ground level...

WEB Llanfair 4mm 10A.jpg

Covered with 1/8" cork sheet glued down with neat PVA and weighted. Electric sander formed a smooth surface between levels...
WEB Llanfair 10B.jpg

Several thicknesses of cork were glued down in places and left for two days to harden before sanding.....
WEB Llanfair 10C.jpg

Buildings plonked in place...
WEB Llanfair 10D.jpg

Goods yard level raised to rail level. More room for vehicle manoeuvre than on previous layout .....
WEB Llanfair 10E.jpg

Long view from the doorway...
WEB Llanfair 10F.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Peco streamline flat bottom from here....
WEB Llanfair track 6B.jpg

This would be a good opportunity to have fresher looking rail, ballast and sleepers to appear as if this section of track has been renewed :) .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I may have mentioned before that the light grey ballast is softer than the other colours and more easily files down to dust. I resorted to a half-inch paint brush in the end dry-brushing grey cellulose...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 13E.jpg

It will probably improve when grassland is added...
WEB Llanfair 4mm 13F.jpg

Last edited: