2mmfs Kyle Of Lochalsh (an Extract)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Hi Pete
As Jordan says it could be 7 mm, it’s not until I saw the Swann Morton knife in the background of your two 5 July 2017 previous photos makes one realise the actual size of the models, superb work. For some reason when I see a weathered model I just want to wash them.
David.

Many thanks David - am quite partial to a few grubby locos - sort of how I remember them in the early 80's!

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Pete
I have seen this layout posted on I think the 2mmFS society website before and have always thought it is a very fine model showing how much detail can be put into a small model in this scale.
Lovely weathering on the stock too...as others have said it is hard to believe the actual scale.
Thanks for posting
Cheers
Julian

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Hi Pete
I have seen this layout posted on I think the 2mmFS society website before and have always thought it is a very fine model showing how much detail can be put into a small model in this scale.
Lovely weathering on the stock too...as others have said it is hard to believe the actual scale.
Thanks for posting
Cheers
Julian
Thank you for your kind comments Julian…

gingerneer

Really good seeing the layout in the flesh, and to chat to you about 2mm and class 37s on Saturday. I don't need a sound fitted 37, but I want one now!
Will (wearing the black 5 teeshirt)

Bevis

I also enjoyed seeing the layout in the flesh today. Thanks for exhibiting it. really evokes the place but in such a minimal space.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
To continue the theme of recent posts, my Son (@Spike) and I talked with BCN-Pete (@BCN-Pete) and watched life at the Kyle-of-Lochalsh station today... several times. What impressed us with this model is how the photos here and over there seem to show a long layout and yet, in reality, the total viewing length is so short.

Further, on the third or fourth visit, Pete revealed that a future revision to the layout is going to be in the style of Arun Quay (Gordon Gravett) with the view being from the sea over the second platform on the other side of the station in the current model. Now this is going to be worth stepping out to see.

Oh, and the model is to be to 7mm scale so plenty of HJ diseasels and several Mk.1s/Mk.2s.

thank you for such an entertaining day in the highlands, regards, Graham

Last edited:

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Really good seeing the layout in the flesh, and to chat to you about 2mm and class 37s on Saturday. I don't need a sound fitted 37, but I want one now!
Will (wearing the black 5 teeshirt)
Many thanks Will. Good to talk to you too. Everyone needs a sound fitted 37 surely? ;)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
I also enjoyed seeing the layout in the flesh today. Thanks for exhibiting it. really evokes the place but in such a minimal space.
Many thanks for your kind comments too.

Yes I think most of the comments from the weekend were with regard to the size of it. It's flattering to be on the front of the show guide but I hope people don't feel short changed when they get to see how small it is!

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
To continue the theme of recent posts, my Son (@Spike) and I talked with BCN-Pete (@BCN-Pete) and watched life at the Kyle-of-Lochalsh station today... several times. What impressed us with this model is how the photos here and over there seem to show a long layout and yet, in reality, the total viewing length is so short.

Further, on the third or fourth visit, Pete revealed that a future revision to the layout is going to be in the style of Arun Quay (Gordon Gravett) with the view being from the sea over the second platform on the other side of the station in the current model. Now this is going to be worth stepping out to see.

Oh, and the model is to be to 7mm scale so plenty of HJ diseasels and several Mk.1s/Mk.2s.

thank you for such an entertaining day in the highlands, regards, Graham
Thank you Graham for your kind comments and good to meet and chat with both your son and yourself.

Indeed, there will be a 7mm version of Kyle. I have accumulated virtually all the rolling stock now, have 4 Tim Horn baseboards and all the turnout kits...the only thing stopping me start it is space....oh and I need to finish Wenford clay dries first!

As someone suggested, I could then exhibit the 7mm version next to the 2mmFS version - two for the price of 1 for exhibition managers :))

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
A fabulous weekend at Railex which is always a great show and worth a visit - Tim, David and the team hosted and looked after us very well for the 2 days.

A big shout to Andy, Tom and Andrew for lending a hand this weekend so I could stretch my legs and see the show...IMG_1448.jpegIMG_1482.jpegIMG_1499.jpeg

Andro

You know it's a good model when you look at it and say, "I know that place!" My first visit to Kyle was in, I think, 1962, when I caught (with a Kodak box camera) the unique shunter that they had there at the time. I spent a summer working at the Inverness locomotive depot a few years later and was given a pass to take a day joyriding to Kyle, with the delightful experience of riding in the ex-Devon Belle observation car with one of the local conductors as a guide. I wasn't back there again until last year - much changed, but the essence of Kyle was still there - a lovely place, and a fine model to bring back the memories - thank you.

Kyle shunter 2.jpg

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
One thing I didn't know about or had forgotten (more likely!!) is the 'viewing window' to the fiddleyard/traverser. A neat touch I don't think I've seen done by anyone else. I find people are often as interested in the hidden staging as the layout hanging off the end of it! In fact there seems to have been an increasing trend in recent years for exhibition layouts not to hide the staging in any meaningful way, especially Shunty-planks. That's my impression, anyway.
Finally, anyone who doubts how satisfying a simple and/or small layout is to operate should study the faces of the three gentlemen pictured there. ;) :thumbs:

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
You know it's a good model when you look at it and say, "I know that place!" My first visit to Kyle was in, I think, 1962, when I caught (with a Kodak box camera) the unique shunter that they had there at the time. I spent a summer working at the Inverness locomotive depot a few years later and was given a pass to take a day joyriding to Kyle, with the delightful experience of riding in the ex-Devon Belle observation car with one of the local conductors as a guide. I wasn't back there again until last year - much changed, but the essence of Kyle was still there - a lovely place, and a fine model to bring back the memories - thank you.

View attachment 188091
Many thanks for your kind comments Andro.

Great photo! Never knew about that Shunter!

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
One thing I didn't know about or had forgotten (more likely!!) is the 'viewing window' to the fiddleyard/traverser. A neat touch I don't think I've seen done by anyone else. I find people are often as interested in the hidden staging as the layout hanging off the end of it! In fact there seems to have been an increasing trend in recent years for exhibition layouts not to hide the staging in any meaningful way, especially Shunty-planks. That's my impression, anyway.
Finally, anyone who doubts how satisfying a simple and/or small layout is to operate should study the faces of the three gentlemen pictured there. ;) :thumbs:
Many thanks Jordan.

Yes the slot was twofold. Firstly due to the narrowness of the layout and wanting to keep a flush fascia it was necessary for the traverser to be able to slide slightly outwards. But secondly, it was to allow a sneak view into the back of house as I am always trying to see how people have constructed/organise their Fiddleyard at exhibitions! Traditionally they are hidden away but for me they are an important component of any layout…as important as the scenic bit.

It also allows people to see the train formations as some times at shows I have a peak and then stay watching the layouts waiting for specific trains to appear.

simond

Western Thunderer

View attachment 188091
I recall a very similar tractor-shunter at Birkenhead docks when I was a kid. Mid 60’s?

I have a vague recollection of a matchbox tractor, glue and probably plasticard..

happily my efforts were not recorded for posterity!