2mmfs Kyle Of Lochalsh (an Extract)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Evening peeps,

Been busy at work last few months but work has been progressing behind the scenes on KoL...and my 7mm layout :D

I have now converted KoL to DCC and next Saturday the layout will be appearing at the 1 day Tonbridge show in its first showing under DCC format. I have also sound chipped a class 37 and must admit am now taken by the sound bug...will take me some time to work through all the sulzers though :eek:

The layout is also booked for the Stafford show next February 2018 but please do and come and say hello if you are in Tonbridge at the weekend. Been testing the fleet earlier today...micro layouts don't necessarily have micro fleets :p

IMG_5579.JPGIMG_5580.JPG

Pete

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Tonbridge show went well yesterday - 37/4 with sound well received and not too overpowering for the neighbouring layouts.

Have left Kevin of Coastal DCC, my 24/0 so that should be sound chipped by mid April.

Gradually working my way through the fleet so it can be run with two 24's or two 37's with sound. The 26's and 27 will take a tad longer as I understand it's a bit fiddly to sound chip those.

More again when I have something to show :)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
The conversion of a Farish 24/0 to 24/1 is nearly complete. Final details and then some weathering to produce a nice grubby example as per the reference pic I have of 24124 at Kyle.

In other news, following a few enquiries at the last show. I decided to make some business cards as I had left the pre printed A4 information sheets at home :headbang: Rather than relying on iPhone notes, the cards were first designed in Indesign and the PDF uploaded to Vistaprint as I did not particularly like any of the pre prepared templates. The turn around on the order was less than a week.

I also found in Rymans a small Perspex holder so I have now reduced the information sheet to A5 size and made a small 'menu' type card which gives layout information on the front and critical dimensions on the rear. A5 printed examples will be prepared for the next show along with the business cards. Here's a few photos...

IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG

Next is to crack on with the boards for Thurso...the extension...:cool:

Last edited:

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Evening all,

Just a quick update to say KoL is appearing this Sunday at a one day show in Oxted, details as per here:

DD Exhibitions on the UK Model Shop Directory

Have been doing bits and pieces on the rolling stock including weathering the 24/1, the roof of the 37/4 and also an inspection saloon.

The 24/0 is now sound chipped so I have two sound locos now on the layout.

IMG_6746.JPG
IMG_6747.JPG

Nice n grubby :D just how I remember them.

Do come and say hello if you drop by...

Pete

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Kyle is making an appearance at the Billericay Model Railway Group one day show on 5th May 2018.

I have posted details in a separate thread here:

Billericay Model Railway Group show 5th May 2018

I have been doing some work on the rolling stock of late.

37025 is now sound chipped and detailed using a Digitrains chip with Paul Chetter sound. This can appear with 37414 also sound chipped.

The two class 24's are also sound chipped so I can run late 70's or mid 80's eras...

I have added corridor connections to the early MK II rake.

A recent purchase has been the new Bachfar Kyle line coaches (from the train pack but seen split on e-Bay)

Please do drop by and say hello! :thumbs:

Pete

IMG_3920.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2057.jpeg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2055.jpeg

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Judging by the pictures of your locos & stock in your previous post, I'd be looking for a 7mm scale layout :confused: ... incredible detail & weathering! :thumbs: :bowdown:
Thank you kindly Sir…
And SWAG '24......... April 2024......
Indeed it is - Thanks for the shout out Rob!

Will post some pics closer to Railex as am working on some rolling stock for the weekend…

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Pete
As Jordan says it could be 7 mm, it’s not until I saw the Swann Morton knife in the background of your two 5 July 2017 previous photos makes one realise the actual size of the models, superb work. For some reason when I see a weathered model I just want to wash them.
David.