2mmfs Kyle Of Lochalsh (an Extract)

Western Thunderer
Lovely shots Pete.

Do like the presentation of the layout and still can't believe its only 1.5m long!

I do like the snap of 37414 by the way. I'm heading towards Kyle in the summer and only wish these locos were still running up there.

Cheers,

Mark
Don't forget your camera, Mark ;)

Steve :cool:

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Lovely shots Pete.

Do like the presentation of the layout and still can't believe its only 1.5m long!

I do like the snap of 37414 by the way. I'm heading towards Kyle in the summer and only wish these locos were still running up there.

Thanks Mark - the scenic section is only about 45% of that length! Although the letterbox fiddle yard did attract attention at the exhibition which was part of the original idea as I do love to see the back of house workings along with the front of house.

Yes, it's a shadow of its former self but I understand the trip alongside the water is still a very pleasant journey.

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Apologies for the radio silence - work has been intense of late so have been just updating one forum at present however will try to be more consistent.

The layout has now been exhibited at the Uckfield show two weeks ago and generally all went well with some nice comments received and a couple of potential show invites for the future.

I had thought I was going to move back onto rebuilding my china clay layout (featured on here) or maybe even start 7mm ;) but have now decided to build an extract of Thurso in 2FS and this will be built as a standalone layout initially but can be attached to the other end of the Kyle Fiddleyard. The train shed will have a slot length to view in from the side and the end.

I have made this 1:1 card/foam board mock up last week to test the idea and am pleased with the results so if it's of interest I can start a separate thread for this - here's a few pics of the mock up...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In other news, Chris Nevard photographed Kyle and it should be appearing in the next issue of Model Rail due out 19 Nov 2015 - Chris took some superb pics :thumbs:

image.jpeg

Comments welcome,

Thanks, Pete

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Pete,

Good to see you are getting some modelling time. A new thread for the new layout would be good. I am not so sure about the separate viewing window for the station building, or more the vertical division. Thurso station yard is quite open and spacious so the current arrangement may not capture the atmosphere of Thurso, Wick feels more confined and in some ways could be easier to model in a confined space even though the yard was larger. Another point which you will have considered is the platform location at the front blocking the view of the 2fs track and wheels. I think one of the reasons Kyle works so well is the wharf elevates the track and wheels to the centre of the view.

I will watch progress with interest.

On a related topic, have you done any work on getting the Farish Mk IIa carriages to work with their Mk I carriages? I haven't seen anything on adjusting the heights to match as they should, or worked out where the problem is yet.

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Definitely of interest :thumbs:

Thanks David - will try and set one up this evening...

Pete,

Good to see you are getting some modelling time. A new thread for the new layout would be good. I am not so sure about the separate viewing window for the station building, or more the vertical division. Thurso station yard is quite open and spacious so the current arrangement may not capture the atmosphere of Thurso, Wick feels more confined and in some ways could be easier to model in a confined space even though the yard was larger. Another point which you will have considered is the platform location at the front blocking the view of the 2fs track and wheels. I think one of the reasons Kyle works so well is the wharf elevates the track and wheels to the centre of the view.

I will watch progress with interest.

On a related topic, have you done any work on getting the Farish Mk IIa carriages to work with their Mk I carriages? I haven't seen anything on adjusting the heights to match as they should, or worked out where the problem is yet.

Thanks also Fraser,

I had looked at Wick a couple of times when planning this but felt Thurso had a bit more character plus it has the overbridge which although will be slightly stretched is something to base it on rather than invent.

I am still deliberating the viewing window and have since included the other side of the roof (my youngest son's suggestion) which includes a large roof light. I may well drop the separate window and carry the fascia around to the end so you see the train shed more clearly. The decision to model this view (across the platforms) is twofold - first, its a view not often modelled as we tend to view onto stations and second, its a good counterpoint to Kyle so when plugged together they present the viewers with two opposing but hopefully complimentary scenes - hope that makes sense - when I set up my new thread it will have some sketches to help underpin this.

As for the Farish MKI / II ride height, I haven't addressed this yet as I an running as separate rakes - am hoping to eventually replace all the bogies with 2mmFS etches so will probably tackle it then.

Thanks, Pete

Tappa

Western Thunderer
I rather like the idea of a separate viewing window for the station building for the same reason as it will allow you to see the standing area of the platform. Whatever you decide Pete, I am sure it will be excellent. Your 2mm layouts just seem to have that "something else"

Jeff

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
I rather like the idea of a separate viewing window for the station building for the same reason as it will allow you to see the standing area of the platform. Whatever you decide Pete, I am sure it will be excellent. Your 2mm layouts just seem to have that "something else"

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - that's very kind of you. I was sketching around this issue this morning on the bus so will upload some thoughts on the new thread later tonight.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Just a shameless plug to say that Model Rail is now out and Chris Nevard has taken some great pics of the layout...Here's a quick screen grab from the digital version on the iPad :thumbs:
View attachment 50105
Oh for goodness sake!!! :mad: How many more times must members be warned about trying to pass off photos of the real thing as models..????? :rant: :headbang:
....and don't try and say that's your layout - it just simply isn't that long!!!! :rolleyes: :p

:D:D:D:D:D Seriously, that is one impressive photo!! :thumbs: :drool:

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Great article and cannot wait for Thurso !
cheers
Robert

Many thanks Robert

Hi the photos were good and so is the model
John

Thanks also John

Oh for goodness sake!!! :mad: How many more times must members be warned about trying to pass off photos of the real thing as models..????? :rant: :headbang:
....and don't try and say that's your layout - it just simply isn't that long!!!! :rolleyes: :p

:D:D:D:D:D Seriously, that is one impressive photo!! :thumbs: :drool:

Thanks as well Jordan - apologies...it won't happen no more...

...unless Chris Nevard rocks up again...:p:D

Western Thunderer
I've bought this just to read & see your article, Pete :thumbs:

image.jpg

image.jpg

& also this pic (below) snuck in ! Lol

image.jpg
I am saving this to read, till Wednesday for my trip to Spain, for new year, to my mums.

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
I've bought this just to read & see your article, Pete :thumbs:

I am saving this to read, till Wednesday for my trip to Spain, for new year, to my mums.

Hi Steve - only just read this.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the article.

Unfortunately, work has zapped all mojo for me of late so Thurso and my DCC upgrade has all ground to a halt...:(

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Just playing "catch-up" with your works here Sir - It reminds me to give my "very small trains" box a bit of a shake and see what falls out :)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Just playing "catch-up" with your works here Sir - It reminds me to give my "very small trains" box a bit of a shake and see what falls out :)

Thanks JBZ - am currently dabbling with the senior scale in BR Blue now...so perhaps a new thread is on the horizon...:D