Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
It'll let the rain in!

It's an oversized space to install a roof light, or at least the remains of one. Not actually a hole in the model, just the removal of one layer of the roof laminations so the feature can be set below the tiles.

Interestingly this section of roof varied in detail quite a bit over the years. In LSWR and SR days there was a roof light of sorts. By the early 60s this section of roof appears to have been heavily sagging and the rooflight appears to have been very badly patched over with random tiles and cement.

The bodged repair and general roof condition must have been poor as by the late 60s (after line closure?) major repairs were undertaken. The large window in the first floor frontage was taken out, a pillar installed and the window put back further to the right. The roof trusses above must have had some serious work at the time as the sagging and bodged repairs were removed.

So, the question of what condition to model this section of the building in has been going around my head for a while. It won't be the late 60s big repair condition. The remains of a rooflight would add some visual interest though...

Watch this space.

Stubby47

Western Thunderer
This is only an opinion and please feel free to completely ignore it.

If your building is to have the roof light, meaning it's condition is that well before the 60's refurb, why are the roof slates so badly damaged ?

Unless the seagulls have hobnailed boots on, I can't see why the bottom edges of almost every slate has been chipped, is cracked or has lost corners.
Unless, that is, the slates were added in such a poor condition, which is possible if they were re-used and/or cheaper than new ones. I also would question the apparent random width of adjacent slates, row by row that might/would change, but along the same row ?

Like I said, just my opinion and there are probably excellent reasons for the way you've added the slates.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interesting. Would a window frame like that be set into the roof as water would collect at the bottom of the panes with nowhere to drain.

I have been pondering just that.

Photos I've zoomed in on do show a 2x2 pane arrangement. That bit of the roof did fail, so perhaps sitting water and leaking was a problem?

There are two other locations that seem to have a 2x2 roof light as well. Any thoughts on a better arrangement?

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Do these help ?

General principles

rooflight 1.jpg rooflight 2.jpg
rooflight 3.jpg

Generally a lead tray was dressed around the opening / frame to form a watertight channel to the frame which came down to the lead tray at the bottom of the frame to disperse rainwater.

I'm sorry to advise you that being inset would not be acceptable.

G