Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
door, horse, stable, bolted.... looks like I'm late to the party......:)

I was going to say I wouldn't have bothered with the side door until some photographic evidene turned up - anyway rule#1 reigns.

Apart from the Geographic colour photo with a glimpse of the subject building the other one is below from your post #1.

Bodmin N.jpg

I presume as there is no rear access due to the proximity of the cutting the ballast was built up to rail level to allow road vehicles to back up to both stores doors for loading/unloading.

For the corrugated iron roof on my 7mm Brill Branch building I used the South Eastern Finecast vacuum formed FBS409G 4mm Embossed Plasticard Corrugated Iron Sheet as I had it in stock and looked right.
Bldg 27.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
door, horse, stable, bolted.... looks like I'm late to the party......:)

I was going to say I wouldn't have bothered with the side door until some photographic evidene turned up - anyway rule#1 reigns.

Apart from the Geographic colour photo with a glimpse of the subject building the other one is below from your post #1.

View attachment 199461

I presume as there is no rear access due to the proximity of the cutting the ballast was built up to rail level to allow road vehicles to back up to both stores doors for loading/unloading.

For the corrugated iron roof on my 7mm Brill Branch building I used the South Eastern Finecast vacuum formed FBS409G 4mm Embossed Plasticard Corrugated Iron Sheet as I had it in stock and looked right.
View attachment 199466

Hi Dave, nice to see you along again.

Despite appearances from the photo in your post, the real Bodmin North buildings did have vehicle access to the rear. The following snippets of much larger images show the road.

Screenshot_2023-10-29-20-03-59-445_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-29-20-03-19-655_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-29-20-02-02-654_com.facebook.katana.jpg

In the case of Pencarrow, I'm also imagining there's access to the rear but this will be off-board. I keep having to remind myself that Pencarrow is only based on Bodmin North, so doesn't have to be 100% the same, and I don't have space to include the road.

Having a door in the end wall does enable quick access to the yard office attached to the end of the goods shed. The small platform will enable a small scene of loading something small into a road vehicle and help view block the base of the backscene. That's my excuse anyway...

Last edited:

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike, not noticed that product before. I normally use the Slater's corrugated sheet to represent corrugated iron and the Wills for asbestos sheet. I'll keep an eye out for the Plastruct sheet though. Out of interest, what spacing are the corrugations at??
Hi Chris,
The Plastruct corrugations work out at a scale 4 1/8 inches. compared to the Wills product which scales out at around 3 1/2" in 7mm scale.
The sheets are 0.5mm thick. There are two sheets of approximately A4 size per pack.
I have to say that the Slaters corrugations appear rather flat compared to this stuff.
Regards
Mike
20231029_215343.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Well, the plastic work for the provender store got finished over the last week and it's just been outside for a coat of grey primer. The final jobs were to fit the bargeboards, windows and doors.

IMG_20231105_162714.jpgIMG_20231105_162705.jpg

IMG_20231105_162542.jpg

IMG_20231105_162557.jpg

I did tidy up the rough filler on the bargeboards prior to painting... again showing the benefit of taking photos as you go.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Despite being next to each other, and made of similar materials, the roof and wall colours of the two stores are definitely not the same.

Probably indicative of the two being constructed at different dates..... a bit like yours really :).

Therefore one of them would have been exposed to the weather for a longer period of time or was built with poorer quality materials.

However, an examination of the aerial photo above would indicate the one you have just finished was constructed first as the building below it in the cropped image has a different roof profile. It would appear the provender store was built on the footprint of this building. .....a bit like the Restaurant at the End of the Universe being built on the remains of the planet Magrathea :D.

Roof.jpg

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Probably indicative of the two being constructed at different dates..... a bit like yours really :).

Therefore one of them would have been exposed to the weather for a longer period of time or was built with poorer quality materials.

However, an examination of the aerial photo above would indicate the one you have just finished was constructed first as the building below it in the cropped image has a different roof profile. It would appear the provender store was built on the footprint of this building. .....a bit like the Restaurant at the End of the Universe being built on the remains of the planet Magrathea :D.

View attachment 200689

Evening Dave,

I was originally tempted to build the earlier single pitch building instead of the first provender store wot I made but I had a reasonable number of photos of one and not the other.

Early foundation colour stages of painting the roof but it's a start. There's a particular colour I'm after but it's eluding me at the moment. Time to quit and see what it looks like in daylight.

IMG_20231108_214100.jpg