Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave, had a look at the DIY wet pallet route on YouTube last night. We have plenty of containers in the kitchen and I suspect that one will find its way to another use today.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Excellent work and attention to detail. I look forward to seeing the grain store finished as it just oozes character.

Cheers Phil. Even the most mundane buildings like this provender store have interesting detail if you look close enough at photos. The only bits I've had to redo some far are those I went ahead and did without looking at photos first.

Anyway, I've had a crack at painting the asbestos roofing. It's not something I've had much success with before as it's IMO quite a difficult finish/colour to achieve. This is the closest to happy I've yet been with a result:

rps20190413_145844.jpg

rps20190413_145935.jpg

rps20190413_145918.jpg

Still a little glossy as the final wash with power and white spirit is still drying. The ridge tiles have turned out OK too. Was worried they would blend into one but the edges do show up after all.

rps20190413_150013.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I use them on a 'wet' palette. This is one I picked up several years ago but a sponge cloth in the bottom of a shallow tupperware or take-away tub and greaseproof paper or baking sheet on top works just as well.

The cloth can be 'topped up' when it starts to dry out and when you've finished you can close the lid to retain the moisture and re-use later

View attachment 102514
View attachment 102515

When using the Vallejo paints as washes I dip the brush in their (or Tamiya) thinners first then into the clean water to break the surface tension. This also aids the capillary action of the washes.

I've made myself a wet pallet. An old Chinese takeaway container, a slice off the base of an old foam sponge and some grease proof paper later and we're done.

Having used it I must say it makes using the paints so much easier.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Anyway, I've had a crack at painting the asbestos roofing. It's not something I've had much success with before as it's IMO quite a difficult finish/colour to achieve. This is the closest to happy I've yet been with a result:

The asbestos colour looks fine.

Given that asbestos is a fibrous material you may want to try dry-brushing this as well which will give it a slightly rough or 'furry' appearance.

Just needs a few lichens to gild the lily....:)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The old talcum powdered sprinkled onto the wet paint method works well for asbestos roofing texture (well it does in 4mm scale...)

Hi Jason, certainly going to be adding some dodgy white powder into the paint for the concrete blocks. How's the hat by the way?

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris.

Nothing to be down about there.

You’ve cracked both colour and texture IMHO :) Sometimes the concrete textured look can be overdone (yes, it cracks and can be pitted, but it’s best to be frugal with the look, lest it become a caricature - I hope that’s clear, and I’ve not confused you - I know what I mean!).

The weathered grey colour too is accurate from what I gather from coloured photos in my SR based book, which show many concrete examples courtesy of the Exmouth (?) works.

Keep it coming.

Jonte

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Cheers Jon, been a bit of a battle. The slip up this morning was when I sprinkled some talc and coloured powder into the concrete paint colour and then brushed it. The whole lot went into a gooie mush that filled all the mortar joints and looked a right mess. It's not done that before. Rescued by applying thinners and scraping it off.

I've now fitted the doors and will call it a day on this building for now. Final tinkering will be done once I get the layout lit.

rps20190414_160904.jpg

I also dug around in my old 4mm boxes and found a load of cast wagon loads. These were a bit bashed about from the exhibition circuit but were quickly touched up and placed in the store. The idea is just to make it look used.

rps20190414_160745.jpg
Could really do with some seed sacks but they can be added later.

rps20190414_160828.jpg
With the roof on you can't see much more than shapes in the gloom. I may eventually add a couple of small yellow leds in there.

rps20190414_160703.jpg
With the roof off you can see a lot more.

rps20190414_161017.jpg

Right, what's next?

Last edited: