Phil O

Western Thunderer
Great modelling, even a lot of the time it will be hiding behind a few vans, you have the satisfaction of knowing that all that extra detail is there. If it ever gets exhibited those of us on here that get the change to see it will be looking for it.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Great modelling, even a lot of the time it will be hiding behind a few vans, you have the satisfaction of knowing that all that extra detail is there. If it ever gets exhibited those of us on here that get the change to see it will be looking for it.

Cheers Phil. I'm building it primarily as a home layout but one that can be exhibited if I want to. I did enjoy meeting folk when on the circuit with Treneglos but it's a real issue these days getting Fridays off work, finding enough operators and show organisers being willing to pay for a van. Sort of looses the joy when it takes a lot of grief getting to a show.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So this evening I thought I'd work on something a bit different. An early SR bufferstop...

rps20190415_211925.jpg
In reality most of the bufferstops at Bodmin North appeared to be LSWR designs but I fancied a bit of variety!

It's still removable so it can be sprayed up and I've got to try and get the finish similar to the one below:

rps20190415_222528.jpg

Now how did I do it?

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Many years ago a friend and I did a bit of a survey of the yard at Okehampton and we found that only two of the stops were of the same pattern, all the rest were different. I can't remember how many we counted, but it was probably about eight or so.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The 4 at the left-hand end of the layout are all different.

The one at the end of the loco release is semi wall mounted and only has the front-facing diagonals. The next along is an old end-loading dock which has just a few vertical strips of timber.

Those at the end of the cattle dock are the early SR type and those next to the provender store are the LSWR type.

There's another set of the LSWR type at the end of the clay siding in the middle of the layout.

Should be enough variety!

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Buffer stops on sidings were rather prone to being regularly smacked during shunting, so on a Love Lane one I applied a thick brown/black mix of Humbrol to the sprung buffer heads of a wagon and ran it repeatedly into the plank. Sometimes quite firmly too !

After the majority of the paint had been transferred, it started to get sticky and some of it got pulled back off again. A simple method with a very satisfying end result !

Pete.

Stubby47

Western Thunderer
With the long weekend coming up, I have potentially 4 days to work on DM4MS.
Or, I have 4 days to prepare the house for potential wedding guests who may wish to visit.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The 4 at the left-hand end of the layout are all different.

The one at the end of the loco release is semi wall mounted and only has the front-facing diagonals. The next along is an old end-loading dock which has just a few vertical strips of timber.

Those at the end of the cattle dock are the early SR type and those next to the provender store are the LSWR type.

There's another set of the LSWR type at the end of the clay siding in the middle of the layout.

Should be enough variety!

We like buffers............of all shapes and sizes............

Rob.